Start by marking “Gingerbread Cookie Murder” as Want to Read:
Gingerbread Cookie Murder

Gingerbread Cookie Murder

(Lucy Stone #16.5)

In Joanne Fluke's "Gingerbread Cookie Murder," Hannah Swensen finds her neighbour Ernie Kusak with his head bashed in and sprawled on the floor of his condo next to an upended box of Hannah's Gingerbread Cookies - and discovers a flurry of murder suspects that is as long as her holiday shopping list. Jaine Austen, the heroine of Laura Levine's "The Dangers of Gingerbread C ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published September 28th 2010 by Recorded Books, Inc. (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Gingerbread Cookie Murder, please sign up.
Jasmine I've only read books 6 and 13 of this series myself so far (without reading any of the earlier books) and I followed the stories just fine. The author…moreI've only read books 6 and 13 of this series myself so far (without reading any of the earlier books) and I followed the stories just fine. The author seems to reintroduce the regular characters in a clear way so each book can almost stand on its own.(less)

James
I received Gingerbread Cookie Murder, a short novella in the Hannah Swensen cozy mystery series by Joanne Fluke, as one of my Christmas presents last year. I've a big fan of the series and always look forward to the read. It took me 1 hour to read this story, part of a larger paperback focused on murders involving gingerbread cookies. It's ~150 pages, but 1/3 is filled with recipes, so it's just under a hundred pages of true text. In this issue, Hannah is having trouble with her new neighbor who ...more
Jess
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, mystery
I only read this book for the Hannah Swensen mystery and I probably would have been better off not reading it at all. The story has become very mundane and Hannah is really starting to bother me. She flits between these two men who have expressly stated that they like her and she thinks that's okay. She even admits to wondering why they don't fight over her more often and yet when another woman enters the picture for one of the men she acts wounded. Talk about a double standard. It's okay for he ...more
Sally Hannoush
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, lots of yummy recipes in the story. When the story started, it reminded me a bit of "Christmas Vacation." The loud and bright lights are so Grizwalds(sp?) I can feel the cold and the season throught the pages. This was easy for me to guess the murder but a fun way it was solved.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This was the third and final Hannah Swenson book I brought to read by the pool while on vacation in Florida. I didn't realize this was an anthology with stories by three different authors. Each story had to be centered around Gingerbread cookies.

Gingerbread Murder by Joanne Fluke: When Hannah finds her noisy, annoying neighbour Ernie Kusak dead on the floor of his condo with her plate of Gingerbread cookies smashed on the floor, she immediately tries to solve the crime. His head has been smashe
Meghan
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was just a really fun read over the holidays. Three short stories all about a different murder incorporating Gingerbread men somehow! Perfect to read while baking your own cookies or traveling.
Darcy
Jun 22, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I only read the Joanne Fluke story. I have to say that these Hannah stories are starting to get a little absurd. I would be very scared if I even know Hannah, these people keep dropping like flies in town, and the police never seem to solve the crime before Hannah and her friends. It was fun at the beginning, but now I am getting tired of it, along with Hannah's ability to choose between Norman and Mike. So why then do I keep reading, well at this point it is for the recipes in the books. I have ...more
Theresa
3 stars, if that! What was she thinking, writing such a short book, or should I say short story? She's written far better! And, combining her book with 2 other author's "short stories" was not something I was interested in. Far too short and just when the story started getting interesting, it ended. To that I say what? I expected far better; better character development and a suspenseful storyline. This book had none of that. Disappointed.
Kendra
Nov 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Sometimes I just like reading fluff. I don't want to have to think. This collection of short novels fit the bill perfectly. They are sort of the equivalent of the ABC Family Christmas movies in terms of complexity. These three stories all centered around the common holiday theme of gingerbread cookies. I have to give credit to these authors - they were all able to link small town murders to gingerbread cookies, each in their own way. The idea is pretty creative.

Recipes are sprinkled throughout
Mark Baker
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, mystery
Three new Christmas novellas starring the author's series detectives. Lots of holiday fun, especially if you already love one or more of the series.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Amy Lenord
I love Joanne Fluke when I want something very light to read and Hannah Swensen is one of my favorite characters in that regard, but I wasn't thinking when I started this. I wanted more Fluke and less of the other authors. Don't know why I didn't notice that when I downloaded the book. Oh well! On to the next!
Filipa
2,5 stars

My favorite short-story was, without a doubt, the one by Joanne Fluke. The other two were okay: the second was trying way too hard to be funny and the third was meh.
Mary
Jan 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, 2019
Why do I keep doing this to myself
Nathalie S
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book on cd. It is actually three books in one--three different authors all writing about gingerbread cookies mystery theme. First is Joanne Fluke's heroine Hannah Swensen, then Laura Levine's Jaine Austen and finally, Leslie Meier's Lucy Stone.
I will review the middle book which is actually entitled "The dangers of gingerbread cookies" starring Jaine Austen, who writes ads for an LA plumbing company "In a rush to flush..." among other. I love Jaine--she is a thirty something n
Audrey
This is a collection of three novellas by three different authors. They all involve Christmas and gingerbread cookies.

Book 1: "Gingerbread Cookie Murder" -- 2.5 stars
The focus of the book is on cooking and baking. The corpse that shows up is kind of an afterthought. The main character, Hannah, apparently has a habit of finding dead bodies and confronting killers. Woman, get yourself a CCW! Anyway, it's a pretty formulaic mystery, and you should be able to solve it yourself before the end. The wr
Lindsay
Nov 03, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
A few years ago I read another collection of holiday mystery stories that these three authors put together, so I was interested in reading this new one.
Gingerbread Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke: This was the best one, I thought. Hannah's neighbor keeps blasting Christmas music, so bad that the cops come and she finds the neighbor dead. So she plays detective to find out who killed him. The reason for the killing was actually a pretty decent reason. The thing that annoys me with the Hannah books,
Georgiann Hennelly
This book has three different stories by three different authors, Gingerbread cookie murder by Joanne Fluke, When Hannah finds her neighbor Ernie Kusak with his head bashed in in his condo and a box of upended gingerbread cookies on the floor . Hannah finds herself with a suspects list as long as her shopping list. the second story is by author Laura Levine The danger of ginger bread cookies. Jaine Austen has been asked to help with her parents retirement communitys play the ginger bread cookie ...more
Arlene
This is an anthology of gingerbread related short novellas.
I enjoy reading Joanne Fluke because her heroine has a Cookie bakery and 2 boyfriends. She also includes recipes for some of the goodies she sells in her shop. She is always finding bodies in her frozen hometown of Lake Eden, Minnesota. This story is no different although Hannah is not a suspect even though several of her gingerbread cookies are found with the body when her neighbor is found with his outdoor music blaring and annoying t
Judy
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know, I know, I said that I wasn't going to read any more books by Joanne Fluke, but hey, this is a Christmas book. Three novellas comprise this book by three different authors and, apparently, murder runs rampant during the holidays--just a warning so that you can be on your guard. In the "Gingerbreak Cookie Murder" Hannah Swensen finds her neighbor--who had been blasting Christmas music for days--with his head bashed in. I'm not sure, but a good attorney might be able to argue justifiable ho ...more
Elizabeth
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I enjoyed the first two novellas the main characters were cheeky and their antics made me giggle. I didn't enjoy the last one as much. The main character really irritated me which made me not enjoy that story as much but that's OK because I bought it for the first one since it goes with my Hannah Swensen series.
Kate
Sep 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I LOVED this book! I hope the authors keep up the tradition and do more in the future. It left me wanting to read more by the authors, so I picked up another Christmas book by Fluke, and one by Meier. Ms. Levine are you listening? I'd love an entire book about Jane, Prozac and Christmas!!
Carol Stanley-Snow
What better to read during the Christmas season...than a mystery book centered around gingerbread!!

YUMMY!!! Three great stories of murder and mayhem...gotta love the holidays...LOL!!

And...recipes!!

Jen
This was a fun enough holiday diversion. Three short stories with a murder, Christmas, and food theme. I like each of those, so it seemed like a good fit. I might revisit a couple of these authors in the future.

Listening to recipes is strange, though.
Stephanie Cohen
Joanne Fluke always great....but the others???
Heidi
Not bad, but not great. I liked the first & third stories, but really disliked the second.
Rachel
Dec 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The things we read for reading challenges. I'm just sayin'...
Carmen
2018 Monthly Challenge: December "Advent Calendar"

Fluke, Levine, and Meier each offer a yuletide whodunit treat in this entertaining collection.
In "Gingerbread Cookie Murder," by Joanne Fluke, Hannah Swensen of the Cookie Jar in Lake Eden, will solve the case involving her neighbor's murder. The story is enhanced with yummy recipes.
In "The Dangers of Gingerbread Cookies," by Laura Levine, Jaine Austen's holiday stay at her parents' home in the Tampa Vistas retirement community is enlivened with
Taylor
Dec 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
This was a Did Not Finish for me. I thought it might be a cute holiday read but the writing was so juvenile I found myself laughing out loud. The conversations were written in such a forced, stilted way it was painful. It read like an elementary school student wrote it.
terpkristin
Another not-terrible short story/novella in the Hannah Swensen universe. This time, I figured out who the killer was but not the motivation. It wasn't a bad story - I listened to it on an international flight. It was a good way to pass the time.
Lorraine
3.5 Stars. Not one of my favorites....
Tracy Smith
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
What a sweet little mystery! I love cozies and this one did not disappoint me. Joanne Fluke has a way with her Hannah Swensen series. They are just fun and quick reads that I highly enjoy. I would highly recommend this one to anyone that enjoys a sweet mystery that is full of good characters and yummy recipes! Happy Reading!
The Women's Myste...: #15 Gingerbread Cookie Murder 1 4 Aug 09, 2013 11:24PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Dangers of Gingerbread Cookies 1 3 Jan 17, 2013 04:59PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Gingerbread Cookies and Gunshots 1 3 Jan 17, 2013 04:46PM

• Sugar and Spice
  • St. Patrick's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #14)
  • The Chocolate Snowman Murders (A Chocoholic Mystery, #8)
  • A Catered Valentine's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #4)
  • Sinister Sprinkles (Donut Shop Mystery, #3)
  • The Dangers of Gingerbread Cookies
Like Hannah Swensen, Joanne Fluke grew up in a small town in rural Minnesota where her neighbors were friendly, the winters were fierce, and the biggest scandal was the spotting of unidentified male undergarments on a young widow's clothesline. She insists that there really are 10,000 lakes and the mosquito is NOT the state bird.

While pursuing her writing career, Joanne has worked as: a public sch

Lucy Stone (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Mistletoe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #1)
  • Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #2)
  • Trick or Treat Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #3)
  • Back to School Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #4)
  • Valentine Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #5)
  • Christmas Cookie Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #6)
  • Turkey Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #7)
  • Wedding Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #8)
  • Birthday Party Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #9)
  • Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #10)