Start by marking “A Living Soul” as Want to Read:
A Living Soul

A Living Soul

The protagonist of this mild satire - is a human brain floating in an aquarium - The bodiless Ypsilon, expected to be an unemotional intellect, feels lonely. Beause he is lovesick over a pretty lab assistant, Ypsilon chooses not to respond to elaborate educational regiments - With the aid of a chimpanzee and a detached human hand, he makes detailed plans for an impractical ...more
Paperback
Published 1988 by Norvik Press (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about A Living Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Living Soul

Start your review of A Living Soul
Linda
It is a really extraordinary book. It’s bizarre, and it’s awesome! The main character is a brain in an aquarium. The novel takes place in a near future. A person, man or woman is never revealed, lying in a respirator, agreed to have his or her body amputated. Now, the brain is the property of a scientific company and seems to have lost its human rights. It is subjected to experiments and doesn’t get to know what is going on.

The book is very uncomfortable and thought-provoking, and I
Nathan
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The story of a brain kept alive in a laboratory, told from the brain's perspective. I suppose this book's primary theme is the question of ethics in science. On the one hand a case can be made for the pursuit of knowledge, but when this novel reaches its monstrous conclusion we can see how the pursuit of knowledge can be compromised by the pursuit of profitability, which is the primary driver of science these days. Then again, maybe some wouldn't find the conclusion all that monstrous anymore, a ...more
Rhuddem Gwelin
När jag började läsa denna bok var jag övertygad om att Cold Lazarus hade baserats på den, men nej, så var inte fallet. Hur som helst så är den rätt så fascinerande. Jag gillar böcker och filmer som hanterar frågan om mänsklig identitet. Är man en människa fast man är bara en hjärna?
In English: When I started reading this book I was convinced that 'Cold Lazarus' was based on it but, no, such is not the case. Anyway, it's quite fascinating. I like books and films that deal with the question
Andres
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
Oi kui hea see oli! Lõbus ja tõsine, mõtlemapanev ja ajuvaba... Pun intended, sest peategelaseks ongi laboris elav aju - ning raamat, mis tiirleb aju ümber, ei saa ometi ajuvaba olla.

Kui midagi ette heita, siis seda, et lõpp tuli liiga kiiresti. Aga eks iga hea asi saa ükskord otsa.
Lars Larsson
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jersild is not one of my favourite authors. He writes in a pretty boring manor, and I prefer to read books by other authors. Yes, there are worse writers, hence the '4 stars'.
Adrian Leszczyński
PL: Żyjący mózg
Marina Spirova
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Невероятно, направо невероятно. Уникална книга!
Phoebe Flesch
Apr 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Phoebe by: Read for a Scandinavian Literature course
"A Living Soul" is narrated by a human brain, called Ypsilon, suspended in water. The science is flawed, which can be forgiven, as the novel is a product of the 1980s, but what can't be is the greasy feeling leftover from its observations. Is this the future of science? Breaking down the human body into parts to observe, examine, and then harvest? Moreover, does this future of science mean leaving behind emotion and passion, as indicated by the final experiment on Ypsilon?
The novel is unco
S.M.M. Lindström
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book gave me chills. Especially the ending. The story pulls you in and has you suspending your disbelief at roof level, which gives it impact. Or maybe that's just me. This was my first ever "brain in a jar"-book (I found it among my mother's books when I was about 12) so that probably a huge part of why it struck such a cord with me.

That said, the fact that this story revolves around and explores the consequences of being a body-less brain - instead of most works where they ten
Moa Nyman
Skoluppgift. Jag tycker att den är långtråkig men tror det är för att jag inte läser den här typen av böcker. Hela boken är skriven ur en hjärnas perspektiv och den här hjärnan ligger i ett akvarium.

Jag vet inte riktigt vad jag ska säga om slutet men det funkar väll, men hade definitivt kunnat varit intressantare. Det var däremot en ganska intressant bakrund till hur hjärnan hamnade där.
Louise
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it

Decidedly odd, this book is the first person narrative of a brain who has had his body amputated except for one eye and two ears. Wonderfully imaginative, slightly cynical and strangely compelling overall.
Anna
A disembodied brain tells its story in first person.
thuen
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
moves at a good pace, concise.
Vasil Kolev
Oct 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Доста странна книга. Има интересни идеи в нея, малко остарели, но си струва да се прочете.
Therese
Feb 18, 2014
Mai
rated it did not like it
Jan 27, 2013
May 26, 2018
Lisa
Aug 17, 2019
Goodreads Librari...: Correction data 5 133 Jan 15, 2019 12:38PM

• Jag for ner till bror (Jana Kippo, #1)
  • Aniara: An Epic Science Fiction Poem
  • The Emperor of Portugalia
  • Ett jävla solsken: En biografi om Ester Blenda Nordström
  • Rich boy
  • De kommer att drunkna i sina mödrars tårar
  • Egenmäktigt förfarande
  • Norra Latin (Stockholmsserien #1)
  • The Dwarf
  • Bara ha roligt
  • 438 dagar
  • Det mest förbjudna
  • Pappaklausulen
  • The Molecule of More: How a Single Chemical in Your Brain Drives Love, Sex, and Creativity--and Will Determine the Fate of the Human Race
Per Christian Jersild, better known as P. C. Jersild, is a Swedish author and physician. He also holds an honorary doctorate in medicine from Uppsala University, and another one in engineering from the Royal Institute of Technology.