Start by marking “Bread and Jam for Frances” as Want to Read:
Bread and Jam for Frances

Bread and Jam for Frances (Frances the Badger)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  28,308 Ratings  ·  382 Reviews
Frances, one of children's best-loved characters for over 30 years, now springs to life even more in Bread and Jam for Frances,beautifully reillustrated in sparkling full color by Lillian Hoban. In this memorable story, Frances decides that bread and jam are all she wants to eat, and her understanding parents grant her wish'at breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even snacktime. ...more
Published January 28th 1993 by HarperCollins (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Bread and Jam for Frances, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bread and Jam for Frances

Shawn Thrasher
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the most perfectly written picture books - perhaps one of the most perfectly written books ever. Every single word is meticulously chosen, carefully placed on the page, like an artist painting a masterpiece. Wipe away the familiar story for a moment, the (just right) illustrations of badgers (?), and the now familiar rite of childhood trope of picky eaters, and rather think about this book as a long, free verse poem. It's a rich, lush, descriptive book that aches to be read aloud, not jus ...more
Jeremy
Aug 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Even though I don't actually like most of the foods that comprise Frances' particular diet (barring bread and jam, of course), the book always made me really hungry anyway. Adventures in food are such a huge part of growing up, and no book I can presently recall understands, or represents with such joy, the endlessly aggravating, impossible to predict, and hilariously beautiful relationship that kids have with their lunch.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I loved this book growing up. The moral of this story is "Be careful what you wish for." Frances only wanted to eat bread and jam every day. At first it was nice, but she got sick of it after a while. Seeing all the different things her family got to eat, and she only got bread and jam. And that spaghetti sure did look good.
Stephanie
Mar 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I was not fair to my daughter last night. I persisted in reading Bread and Jam for Frances, by Russell Hoban, to her even after she lost interest and started standing up and running around on the bed. I couldn't put it down. This is a favorite from my childhood that I am happy to revisit and will revisit again when my daughter is a little older.

Frances is a girl (well, a badger) after my own heart. She'd rather eat bread and jam than eggs. As my friends know, I abhor egg dishes, but will happily
Constance
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is perhaps my favorite Frances so far. Frances does not like eggs and makes up a little song:

I do not like the way you slide,
I do not like your soft inside,
I do not like you lots of ways
And I could do for many days
Without eggs.

I can relate, Frances, I can relate.

The illustrations are wonderful, with Frances eating her toast and jam and staring with no small level of concern at her soft-boiled egg.

Frances is a picky eater and pretty soon she is turning down her string beans and all sorts
Malbadeen
Jul 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Frances Loves PBJ's and in the mothers infinate wisdom she blesses Frances with PBJ's at every turn. As Frances sings her feelings from enthusiasm to forced conviction she slowely comes to the realization that variety is not a bad thing and ventures to ask for the spaghetti that others are eating. I love the rationales Frances provides for not eating certain food "but sunny side up eggs lie on teh plate and look up at you in a funny way and sunny-side-down eggs lie on their stomachs and wait and ...more
Erica
Feb 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Bread and Jam For Frances personifies a young female badger as a fussy eater who loves bread and jam. The illustrations in this book are very soft employing pastel colors, soft edges and shading. The story itself is extremely realistic, as many children have refused to try new foods at one point in time. This book can help teach children the importance of variety and trying new things as even their most beloved treat can become stale and boring. While I thing the moral of the story is a good one ...more
midnightfaerie
Jul 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Probably due to length and vocabulary difficulty, this is somewhere around a level 4 reading book. Perhaps better read out loud by a parent. Story-wise, my children all loved it. Especially my 5 yr old. A story he could completely relate to about a child only wanting to eat their favorite things, it was a plot I could get into as well. Be prepared your child might go the way of the parent in the book and try to get you to feed them their favorite food for every meal until he gets sick of it. Not ...more
Kelly
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
The next day when the bell rang for lunch, Albert said, "What do you have today?"

"Well," said Frances, laying a paper doily on her desk and setting a tiny vase of violets in the middle of it, "let me see." She arranged her lunch on the doily.

"I have a thermos bottle with cream of tomato soup," she said.
"And a lobster-salad sandwich on thin slices of white bread.
I have celery, carrot sticks, and black olives,
and a little cardboard shaker of salt for the celery.
And two plums and a tiny baske
Heather
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
This is the tale of a mother. A loving mother, who does her very best to prepare delicious, healthy meals for an intransigent child who does not care that her mom is just trying to prevent her developing anemia, scurvy, or some other obsolete, nutrient-deficiency-caused illness. That cute badger exterior conceals an iron will, and her mother quite sensibly caves. I salute you, Frances' mother, for your passive-aggressive solution to this problem. Inspired by you, I will be feeding my toddler onl ...more
Jessica
A fussy eater. I have one of those. Maybe two... sometimes three. So, even though this was part of of 1st grader's literature curriculum it was helpful in dealing with my four year old's food issues... especially eggs! How appropriate indeed! I may have to try the tactics employed here. ha!

Some of the words were a bit more challenging for my 1st grader but she persevered and read what I asked her to read. It's longer so I don't expect her to read all of it but she is able to decode most words.
Jill
Jan 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
'I have a thermos bottle with cream of tomato soup,' she said. 'And a lobster-salad sandwich on thin slices of white bread. I have celery, carrot sticks, and black olives, and a little cardboard shaker of salt for the celery. And two plums and a tiny basket of cherries. And vanilla pudding with chocolate sprinkles and a spoon to eat it with.'

'That's a good lunch,' said Albert.

I always wanted a little cardboard shaker of salt in my lunch. One of my very favorite books!
Matthew
I chose this book because EW magazine aka MY FAVORITE MAGAZINE has selected this book as 50 books children need to read and decided to read it! Overall it was rather dull and not surprising.

This is about Frances who only wants to eat bread and jam. So her parents used pretty much reverse psychology to make her eat regular food. Even if I was little and reading this I would not have been captivated by this story.
Tracey
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it
There isn't too much to say about this one. It's a cute story to read to kids who are very picky eaters. It helps them see that eating different things can actually be fun and delicious. I didn't really want to read this children's series before and this one book will satisfy my minimal curiosity for it. I now have a new recommendation for parents looking for a cute, fluffy story to read to their children.
One more, please!
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An instant favorite. How much bread and jam can one badger eat? Turns out not as much as she thinks. Frances thinks all she wants and needs is bread and jam but when she sees the variety of food around her, her preference for bread and jam decreases as she starts to see value in trying new things. Great story for kids as sometimes they tend to be picky eaters.
Lyn
May 05, 2013 rated it liked it
This was one of my favorite books as a child and then my children enjoyed reading as well. Hoban created a delightful children's story that was both entertaining and with a moral. I'm not sure I have ever used the word "delightful" before in a review but here it applies, yes this was delightful and a good story for children and a fine book for adults to read to children.
Ms Threlkeld
Nov 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I remember enjoying this book as a kid, so I thought I'd revisit it as a soon-to-be mom. While I like the message and Frances is extremely likable, the book is so text-heavy that I imagine most kids would lose interest about halfway through.
Heila
Jul 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
About picky eaters and really a model for parenting, this has been a favorite of mine for a long time - but not for those reasons! Such cute illustrations of little Frances the badger who is very fond of jam. I like the pace of it and it's gentle conclusion.
CLM
Aug 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: my godson
So glad my nephews and nieces are enjoying the badger my siblings and I grew up with!

What I am is tired of jam!
Jeremy
Frances learns to branch out from just her familiar favorites.
Lesley
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-childrens
looking through daughters books and just read this in 3 minutes. brought back memories of rereading this several times as a kid. great book!
Laura McCloud
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite childhood book! As a child I always wanted to have what France had for lunch at the end of the book.
Maria Bulfamante
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such great illustrations, it'll have you wanting to read more!
Sarah Hurd
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read with my niece tonight. I forgot how much I liked Frances books.
Maggie
Sep 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
One of my favorites when I was growing up. So glad that my little one loves it just as much.
Emily
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, 2015
It's full of songs I can sing and foods that make me hungry in a happy sort of way. This book is a classic.
Julie
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love you, Frances. So flawed. So true. So funny.
Racheal
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I see why this is a classic-- cute illustrations, a bit of sillyness, a "moral" that doesn't feel too didactic. I just keep cracking up at the mental image of Frances singing a song very softly to her egg all about why she doesn't like it.
Lindsay Niebuhr
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
All that Frances wants to eat is bread and jam. Will she discover all the other things there are to enjoy? I would give this story for out of five stars because of this adorable pictures and enduring message.
Rebecca Light
  • Yoko
  • Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile
  • There's a Nightmare in My Closet
  • Angelina Ballerina
  • Frog and Toad All Year (Frog and Toad, #3)
  • One Morning in Maine
  • Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months (The Nutshell Library)
  • Babar the King
  • Roxaboxen
  • Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel
  • Madeline's Rescue
  • 10 Minutes till Bedtime
12076
Russell Conwell Hoban was an American expatriate writer. His works span many genres, including fantasy, science fiction, mainstream fiction, magical realism, poetry, and children's books. He lived in London, England, from 1969 until his death. (Wikipedia)
More about Russell Hoban...

Frances the Badger (7 books)
  • Bedtime for Frances