Start by marking “Baby Beluga” as Want to Read:
Baby Beluga

Baby Beluga (Raffi Songs to Read)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  2,530 Ratings  ·  130 Reviews
Illus. in full color.
Paperback
Published March 17th 1992 by Crown Books for Young Readers (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Baby Beluga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Beluga

❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
I LOVED Raffi as a kid (and as an adult as I introduced them to my kiddos). This book has wonderful illustrations to go along with one of Raffi's most loved songs.
Douglas
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Internet has a small-but-healthy movement called, "The Wholesome Meme". It's the idea that things we share, like, spread, upvote, twit, and post don't all have to be sarcastic, cutting, political, negative, or an ironic callback. It's okay for things to be "wholesome" again: kind, simple, sincere, and filled with whimsy, expressing a love for all existence, whispering "it's okay" before having a bite of amazing pie that was given to you out of kindness, and not sold to you for profit.

Raffi,
Theo Girvan
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked it.
Danielle
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of David's favorite songs!
Michelle
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The art is so cute it's just weird when everything is written like a poem
Julia
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first got started with Baby Beluga it was since the song was thought to be one of Michelle Tanner's favorite song on the show. Of course as such it wasn't played the whole way through so I never knew how it went or if the lyrics were the right way or not. Still really don't know.

The illustrations are what has sold me on this book since they are brightly colored and realistic. Also unlike many other illustrations where penguins are included in the Arctic and polar bears in the Antarctic
Elaine
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytimes
Somewhat advanced for a board book, but still good!
Allison
May 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't call me stupid, this book is awesome
Emily Cappiello
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: song-books
“Baby Beluga” By Raffi; published by Random House Children’s Books; United States; copyright 1992.

1. Awards the book has received: This book has not received any awards.

2. Appropriate grade level(s): This book is appropriate for children from Preschool-Kindergarten.

3. Summary: This song and book is about a white beluga whale who lives in the ocean. The whale lives with his mother and likes to sing and make new friends. The story is about these adventures in the form of song.

4. Review: I used to
Angie
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't very familiar with Raffi before now. I knew he was a prodigious children's music artist who was quite popular after I was a young child and before I had children, so I just didn't have much exposure to him. We picked up this book at the library. It is basically a book version of one of Raffi's songs. Our first reading was before we had heard the song that it goes with. Because of that, the words don't "read" well. Phrasing that works well in a song, and a cadence that isn't familiar wit ...more
Elizabeth
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: d-songs
1. Recording Industry Association of America Platinum Award, Canadian Recording Industry Association Double Platinum Award
2. Pre-K - 3
3. This is a story about a little baby Beluga whale. It describes all of the adventures the little whale takes on during the day like visiting its friends, and snuggling with family.
4. Baby Beluga is a very cute book for young children. Children would love this book and its personification of the young whale having fun with friends and family. It draws attention
Adam Shields
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like books that can be sung. Kids remember them and there is something to the story that is beyond the words on the page. The other one that is similar is What a Wonderful World that is a representation of the song made famous by Louis Armstrong.

My 3 year old loves the book although mostly now he just wants to sing it throughout the day and not read it at night. I think the main target is about 2 years old.
Kira Riccio
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: songs
1. (None)
2. Kindergarten
3. “Baby Beluga” is a song book that pays tribute to Beluga whales in the ocean.
4. I have always loved singing to this book. I also really love how the author pays tribute to Beluga whales. The pictures are beautiful and there is music in the back of the book.
5. This is another fun song book that can be used to help learn about whales and endangered species.
Kady
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baby
I learned this song as a kid apparently attending a bible camp (my older brother shared this when he saw the book over the holidays and remembered the song too... I have no memory of the camp). Anyway, Emmy loves the song and sits through the whole thing. Thanks, Raffi.
Audrey
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, petites
This book MUST be sung. My class of two year olds love this book and want to "read" it over and over. Good for pointing out and talking about all of the Arctic animals pictured.
Lindsey
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cora's 2nd favorite book, and another at-least-once-a-day readings.
Kelly
Nice, light, short rhyming story. Apparently this book is based on one of Raffi's songs. Illustrations were nice.
Tracy
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kiddo, fiction
Awhile ago I started adding an additional chorus with "Is your papa home?" and now the song just sounds incomplete without it, and therefore this book seems to be missing a few pages, so: nope.
Anna
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a FUN FUN Raffi song and my kindergarteners LOOOOVED it when I sang it and read to them at the same time.
Samantha
revisiting raffi and jose luis orozco again and again and againandagain.....!
JCLHeatherM
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A definite crowd pleaser during storytime and quiet time, the pictures make the song even better.
Brittany
The song drives me batty, but try singing the book to a group of kids. It is even more crazy. Cute book, song=NO.
Luke
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I listen to this song sometimes with Mom, but I wasn't too interested in the book.
Amanda
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: d-songs
This book is for 3 months to 3 years.

This is an illustrated version of the classic song. It's very easy to read for new readers or for a read aloud with the illustrations matching the verses.

I think this is a simple and cute book but teaches a class song that I can even remember learning and torturing my parents with at home. It's a book that young readers could even read on their own with only one line on each page. There is also a video on YouTube by the author of the book singing the song.

Cla
Shannonmde
Story time lapsit WL Downtown
Bree
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying the illustrations in this board book are beautiful. I loved them all, especially the one with the northern lights it's a beautiful scene Ashley Wolff set. Raffi was a childhood favorite his songs played on a loop in our house growing up, so it's not surprising I have a special place for Baby Beluga in my heart. I enjoyed this book and I know many others will enjoy it as well.
Erin
Baby Beluga is one of famed children’s singer/songwriter Raffi’s most beloved songs, and in this charmingly illustrated board book his song is brought to life for babies and toddlers. The story follows the “little white whale on the go” through lively illustrations that correspond perfectly with the original Baby Beluga song lyrics. Make note that if parents try reading this book without singing the song or knowing the correct tune, it does not flow right or sound very appealing read-aloud. For ...more
Meshi Zilberstein
Jun 06, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: songs
This book has not received any awards

This book is appropriate for ages 3-6

Summary
Baby Beluga sings the story/song of a young whale who enjoys his life swimming freely in the sea. As he swims happily through the waves, he enjoys playing with dolphins, splashing around all day and singing to his friends. When it is night and time for Baby Beluga to go to bed, he snuggles up in his water bed so that he can soon wake up and enjoy the new day.

Review
This song book sings an adorable song that is extre
Meagan Martin
Sep 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The text in this book comes from the beloved children’s song “Baby Beluga” by Raffi. It tells the story of a baby beluga whale who lives in the water with his mother and his friends. The whale swims and plays, goes to bed, and then gets up to do it all over again. This was one of my favorite songs when I was little! My mom would sing this to me all the time and I got so excited when I found this book. This would be a great story to read with toddlers, because it is a song so it has rhythm and re ...more
Francesca Brilli
Baby Beluga is about a little beluga whale with his mother swimming through the sea. The book is written to go along with the song, "Baby Beluga." The images appear to be watercolor. They show the whales moving across the pages, and across the ocean. The colors are light and provide a happy, upbeat, look and feel. The words go along exactly with the song, so the narrator is the children singing the song along with the book, which boosts the mood. Overall I really enjoyed the book, and it was one ...more
  • This Little Chick
  • Hands Can
  • Down by the Station
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Skip to My Lou
  • Who Took the Farmer's Hat?
  • Three Little Kittens
  • Who Took the Cookies from the Cookie Jar?
  • The Itsy Bitsy Spider
  • Little White Duck
  • Global Babies
  • I Like Me!
  • I Like It When . . .
  • What Shall We Do With The Boo Hoo Baby?

Raffi Songs to Read (9 books)
  • Down by the Bay
  • EVERYTHING GROWS RAFFI SONG RD (Raffi Songs to Read)
  • Five Little Ducks
  • One Light One Sun (Raffi Songs to Read)
  • Shake My Sillies Out
  • Spider on the Floor
  • TINGALAYO (Raffi Songs to Read)
  • Wheels on the Bus