Start by marking “Hungry Stones And Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Hungry Stones And Other Stories

Hungry Stones And Other Stories

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  379 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
1916. Tagore is an artist of rare lyrical powers, who understands the human soul. Tagore's poems and stories are devotions, mystical, sublimated ecstasy. They are the thoughts of a seer, the perfect union of beauty and truth in poetry. Contents: Hungry Stones; Victory; Once there was a King; Homecoming; My Lord, the Baby; Kingdom of Cards; Devotee; Vision; Babus of Nayanjo ...more
Published 2002 by Rupa & Co (first published 1895)

To ask other readers questions about Hungry Stones And Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hungry Stones And Other Stories

Derek Davis
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These stories are close to perfection, but it's a different kind of perfection than you would find in western tales. Most are immediate, intensely human, unpretentious and told in a straightforward, unadorned style: "This happened and then that happened, which led to the next thing." Yet the real happenings are within the characters – emotional wrenchings, upheavals of the spirit, life-altering changes for both good and bad. These stories read like fairy tales told from inside the mind.

Tagore wi
Aparna
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was my first introduction to Tagore, and I first attempted to read it when I was in the fifth standard.. the language was beyond my standard, and I took almost two weeks to read it. The depth of the stories and their beauty was brought home to me only when I read it again at the age of 15.
Its a good book and contains some of the best stories of Tagore.
Gusti Malik
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"because of his profoundly sensitive, fresh and beautiful verse, by which, with consummate skill, he has made his poetic thought, expressed in his own English words, a part of the literature of the West" - Nobel Prize Org.

I couldn't agree more with Nobel Prize Organization, Tagore's verse is beautiful and fresh. Even though I red it on a translated version its still leave some of the beauty from the original manuscript, that's when you know a short stories is great when the translated version is
aPriL does feral sometimes
These simple tales of village life and governance show in an entertaining way how the pre-industrial world was understood, judged and thought about in India (at least, as understood in translation). Married life, the impulsive and unwise nature of children, duties of people toward each other, the costs of carelessness and misunderstandings and human nature, and the romanticized power of belief in occult mysteries are told by wives, husbands and government officials.
Gabriel
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These short stories are almost more poetry than prose. Tagore is an astonishingly fluid writer with a distinctly eastern flair and syntax that is evocative and transportive. This is a fascinating, quick little read that every student of English should undertake.
Rajat
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tagore truly measures upto real noble class. This is one story that needs to be re-read to assimilate its true SPIRIT. Actually this story is all about the spirits only ... amazing truly wonderful ... I am bowled over
Treena Sengupta
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unlike fortunate readers who could read in Bengali, and appreciate the Essence of the stories in its original form, I read the English translation. A collage of short stories themed around ghosts, relationships, fairy tale and much more. End of each story is a feeling of what else, what next, not this way, not fair!!
cindy
Jul 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Batu-batu Lapar dan 12 cerita pendek lainnya, terkumpul dalam karya Rabindranath yang satu ini. Semuanya kental nuansa Indianya, dalam setting, dalam budaya pengkastaan, dalam pemujaan pada dewa-dewa bahkan dalam ucapan, tindakan dan kematian. Tagore tidak malu-malu memotret satu per satu kejadian kemudian merangkainya menjadi satu dalam kolase kisah, yang sama sekali tidak berhubungan, namun benang merahnya mampu membuka jendela tempat kita mengintip kondisi sosial masyarakat India secara lugas ...more
Czarny Pies
Je recommende fortement "The Hungry Stones" (disponsible à http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2518) qui fournit une excellente introduction au génie de Rabindranath Tagore. La gamme de sujets d'abordés est très large. Il y a des contes bien réussies sur les souffrances des petits gens. Il y a deux contes où Tagore critique séverement le systéme de caste Hindou. En même temps, parce que Tagore étaient bien croyant, il y a des contes ou Tagore parle des voies que l'on emprunte pour percevoir la divin ...more
Melanie  Hilliard
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I became intrigued with Tagore after seeing an exhibit of his paintings at the Art Institute of Chicago. My western-self was painfully unaware of his existence prior to a few weeks ago. This is the first collection of writing that I picked up and will definitely be pursuing more.
Dhiraj Sharma
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Among this collection of short stories "The Cabulliwala", "My Lord the Baby", "The Homecoming" and "Vision" are simply outstanding and touch an emotional chord deep down in your heart.
Paul Pellicci
Oct 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Indian book. It gave me a tiny insight on the caste system, Indian pride and much more.
Hamzah Ibnu Dedi
Ketagihan. Magis. Berwarna.
Rohan Shedage
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like most of the short-story books this one also has it's lack of consistency...If you must, then read "Once upon a time there was a king" of the lot.

Bella
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read these stories long before, but never thought this is from the Master. Good one
Michael
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a slim volume of stories, but it contains multitudes. Tagore was one of the most talented and myriad-minded writers of the twentieth century. In this short book, he reveals many sides of his ability. Some stories, like 'The Babus of Nayanjore' and 'The Renunciation', are realistic, satirical, and comical. Others, like 'Living or Dead?' and 'Hungry Stones' are weird and mystical. One of the stories, 'The Kingdom of Cards' is a brilliant allegory.

There are two themes that run through these
Herman Gigglethorpe
English: Rabindranath Tagore probably deserves more than 3 stars, but I like more interesting plots in my stories. Several of them are worth reading. The Hungry Stones has a man hallucinating about being a prince while he stays in a haunted palace. The Victory has a poetry contest with a deadly ending. Once There Was A King is an essay about suspension of disbelief in fairy tales, and how skepticism has increased in modern times.

Several other stories are boring, but at least have some social com
Magdalena Augustyn
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mobi
Rabindranath pisał wiersze, które świetnie nadają się na tatuowane sentencje życiowe i właśnie za nie dostał Nobla, ale był prawdziwym człowiekiem renesansu - poza pisaniem wierszy malował, komponował, był filozofem i pedagogiem. Pisał również prozę z takim kunsztem, jakby pisał poezję.

Czytając jego opowiadania zanurzałam się w orientalnym świecie raz po raz otwierając szerzej oczy w zadziwieniu lub podziwie, kiwając w zrozumieniu głową, roniąc kilka łez wzruszenia lub po prostu delektując się
Othniel
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A random collection of short stories from the great Indian writer, translated by various hands (including Tagore's), and first published in 1916.

The stories range from the mystical to the naturalistic, some dealing with issues such as the caste system and earthly ambition; all of them deeply humane, evocative moral fables.

There are some annoying typos in the free version I downloaded, but not in sufficient numbers to detract from the magical fluency of Tagore's story-telling.

Mitchell
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"These stories are exquisite. I remember hearing two of them, Kabulliwalla and The Hungry Stones, read on the radio well over 40 years ago. I remembered them vividly. It was great to encounter them again, as well as these other small masterpieces."
Merrybrains Book Reviews
Completed this audio book in 4 commutes to work. Beautifully written and loved the audio book.
Rakhmi Fitriani
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seperti cerita sebelum tidur.
heidi
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I was reading through this I wondered why most of Tagore's stories are so sad and depressing (but not in an unlikable way). Happy endings or cheerful plotlines were rare that I almost cheered at some that ended pleasantly. I would describe these stories as poignant. They touch you and stay with you for a while.

The best thing about this book is the marvelous writing. Tagore's use of similes are beautiful, such as when he described a quiet day still wet after a heavy rain, "the way eyelids are
Keith
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of Ghost Stories.
This is an excellent ghost story taking place in India around 1895.
Don Gubler
Not very engaging or exciting unless you are into weird dreams.
Burning Gem
Interesting stories, great narration.
Janice Raquela
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good rapid read with meaningful messages behind every story
Hriday
  • A Dark Night's Work
  • Sredni Vashtar and Other Stories
  • No Thoroughfare
  • The Moneychangers
  • A Great Idea at the Time: The Rise, Fall, and Curious Afterlife of the Great Books
  • Balada Ching-Ching dan Balada Lainnya
  • A Day in the Country
  • Tales of Suspense
  • Novels & Stories: The Lottery / The Haunting of Hill House / We Have Always Lived in the Castle / Other Stories and Sketches
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1913 "because of his profoundly sensitive, fresh and beautiful verse, by which, with consummate skill, he has made his poetic thought, expressed in his own English words, a part of the literature of the West."

Tagore modernised Bengali art by spurning rigid classical forms and resisting linguistic strictures. His novels, stories, songs, dance-dramas, and ess

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Penmarric
    $17.99 $1.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Hippopotamus
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
“Ask me no questions, and I will tell you no lies.” 8 likes
“Ah! How we all love to be deluded! We have a secret dread of being thought ignorant. And we end by being ignorant after all, only we have done it in a long and roundabout way.” 7 likes