Start by marking “The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 4: The Long Tomorrow and Other Science Fiction Stories (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #4)” as Want to Read:

(The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud #4)

This out-of-print English translation collects The Long Tomorrow (written by Dan O'Bannon), Variation #4027 on The Theme and Is Man Good? by Jean "Moebius" Giraud.
Paperback, English Edition, 80 pages
Published April 1988 by Epic Comics (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 4

Tamahome
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Woah, the art is amazing. It's on archive.org in Heavy Metal vol 1 #4 and #5. Some nudity. Inspired the city look in Bladerunner. That's the same O'Bannon that wrote Alien. You can read it in 15 minutes. I used Comic Book Lover on Mac.

Alex
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: european-comics
A powerful sci-fi small story of sixteen pages by O'Bannon (after the unsuccessful try with the cinematic adaptation of Dune he worked on Alien with Riddley Scott) and the master of science fiction, monsieur Moebius. Even in that small a size Jean Giraud manages to hide a complete world full of details and untold stories, based on the clever sci-fi noir plot by O'Bannon.

"The Long Tomorrow" is a fine speciment of how the 9th art influenced (and continues to this day) a lot of movies (Blade Runne
Andrew
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: c-comics, read-own-d
This is a collection of short sci-fi stories by Moebius (some are written by others). The art is really fantastic. Some of the stories are really awesome, others are just alright (predictable, but fun).
Alex
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: european-comics
A sci-fi short stories collection of the highest quality by Moebius. The spiritual meanings hidden beneath each story are vast and the complementary notes by the creator offer a unusual reading experience. It's better to read the notes after the story and then read it again, you'll see it in a different (and most of the times far more interesting) perspective.

It's a pity these paperbacks by epic are so expensive and I had to resign to scanned cbrs. I'll surely continue to the other albums of th
Zane Hoffmann
One of the greatest contributions to the comic book medium.
Gerardo
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oggi, l'immaginario fantascientifico è dominato da elementi che vengono presi dal mondo di Star Wars: la moda del futuro, il modo di viaggiare, le città, la tecnologia, gli alieni. Quando pensiamo a un mondo futuro, a causa del bombardamento mediatico subito in tutti questi anni, siamo portati a immaginarlo in quel modo. Star Wars, con tutta la sua estetica, è uscito in sala nel 1977.

Queste tavole sono state realizzate nel 1975, epoca in cui tutte le immagini straordinarie alle quali siamo abit
Sebastien
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Long Day Tomorrow was top notch, heavy influence on Blade Runner so that is really neat. Otherwise I found the quality of many of the other stories to be choppy. Probably more of a 3-3.5 stars but bumping up a bit just cuz it's Moebius and you always gotta love his art. I do enjoy that this collection includes Jean Giraud's (Moebius') commentary on each piece, which stories and art turned out best and why he thought so along with his critique of where he felt certain pieces fell short. It's alwa ...more
Marion
Not at ALL what I was expecting. I thought this would be small (52 pages) story, I didn't expect it to be 8 super tiny ones. The art looks really cool. There's a spaceship at one time that I could not stop staring at.
Juane
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No cabe duda que es un maestro Moebius, las historias son cortas y te quedas con ganas de mucho más, pero algunas es interesante la simpleza por lo cortas que son pero al mismo tiempo cada historia dice mucho más por sí solas, cómo dirían... Un imagen vale más que mil palabras. Es el primero que leo de él, pero si veo la oportunidad de hacerme con alguno de sus cómics, sin duda alguna los compraría.
Pablo Martinez
Really nice collection of short stories by Moebius which really highlight his genius. Featuring The Long Tomorrow which was one of the main visual inspiration for my favourite movie of all time, Blade Runner.
Perry
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alien screenwriter and noted John Carpenter associate Dan O'Bannon wrote this one, so of course I had to check it out. A nice, short little proto-cyberpunk comic with some killer art by Moebius and one hell of a finale. It's not the most substantial thing in the world, but damn if it isn't good.
Michael
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
The main story is pretty dull despite its great imagery, but the assortment of short works afterwards proved to be surprisingly charming: imaginative little stories with an ironic twist.
Ash
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Alright, Giraud, that was your last chance. We're done, you and I.
Debbie
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
The comic that started the cyberpunk genre. Not my cup of tea, but the influence on later works like Blade Runner is obvious. Definitely a must-read for fans of this genre.
Marco Silva
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bd
It's too short, unfortunately. The art is amazing and it's no wonder it was a visual reference to Blade Runner. Some panels are works of art... I recommend reading this short story.
Alexander Lisovsky
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Сборник небольших фантастических новелл. Из титульной, The Long Tomorrow, торчат явные уши "Блейд раннера", "Нейромансера" и всего остального киберпанка (по сути классического детективного нуара, но в мегаполисе будущего). Мёбиус (во время работы над так и не случившейся экранизацией "Дюны") выступил здесь лишь художником, что, вполне возможно, пошло делу на пользу ;)

Сценаристом же был Дэн О'Бэннон, через три года он напишет сценарий "Чужого", а в 1990-м - "Вспомнить всё". Как отмечает Мёбиус в
Benjamin Shehu
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The genius of Moebius is on full display in this collection. As readers we get to enjoy his distinct style of illustration and the way his approach towards storytelling and comics as a medium has changed throughout the years.

While this is no Arzach, The Long Tomorrow provides us with a story that has in a way influence modern culture far more, as Moebius himself states on the importance that The Long Tomorrow has had on science fiction movies such as Star Wars(they lifted a droid off of this st
Fugo Feedback
Jun 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Muchos
Recommended to Fugo by: Casi todo
El dibujo es despampasombrosorgásmicoloso, o algo así. Pero de las siete historias que componen este tomo, ninguna me resultó particularmente interesante, ya que parecen más excusas para que se luzca la parte gráfica que verdaderos guiones desarrollados. Eso sí, si otro de los tomos de esta colección cae en mis manos, me lo leo de cabeza. dije hace año y pico, aunque hasta que me encontré esta reseña ni me acordaba de haber leído este libro. Con una releída fresca, no sé por qué dije que los gui ...more
Antonio Caparo
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Long Tomorrow is one of those stories that became pillars for many emerging creators on the 70s. It clearly marked what would become in the 80s the Ciberpunk movement with it's mix of decaying future cities, hardboiled stories and antihero characters. The chemistry between the orignal story by Dan O'Bannon and the art of Moebius is excellent.
Also in this book is another of my favorite Moebius works: Is Man Good?. A comic without dialogs where Moebius displays his amazing narrative and cinema
Matt Gonzalez Kirkland
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Of Moebius's work of this era, think this general length is my favorite - the longer form ones don't work quite as well for me, but plenty of the shorter SF stories in here have a nice mix of ornate psychedelic science fictional weirdness and goofy/scuzzy/juvenile-but-mostly-charming post-underground comix stoner comedy
Martyn Halm
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Both The Long Tomorrow (written by Dan O'Bannon) and The Incal were influential in designing the movie Blade Runner by Ridley Scott and The Fifth Element by Luc Besson.

The Incal is a classic story that comes highly recommended to lovers of graphic novels and Sci-Fi buffs.
Andrew
Jun 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Long Tomorrow was so good. Love to see the birth of Blade Runner's inspiration and earlier work Moebius did before the storyboards for 5th Element. According to this book some of the ideas came out of the failed Dune project with Alejandro Jodorowsky; I really wish they made that a reality.
Carlos Piélago Rojo
Aunque lo compré porque la primera historia, la que da nombre al libro, me encanta y me parece muy buena, luego, las demás historias son demasiado cortas, se salvan solo por el dibujo de Moebius, pero es que parecen fragmentos de algo más grande.
Mario Bustamante Reyes
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
J'aime les colors du aproaching centauri.....
Matt Piechocinski
Well, I can't really rate this, because the edition I have is in German.

Anyways, the art is great ... and from what I could infer from that, it looked pretty good!
Chips
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two geniuses about tomorrow land.
David
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
the long tomorrow is the best of the bunch here, especially notable for its Star Wars and blade runner influence plus lots of weird sci fi nudity.

Gonzalo Oyanedel
Noir y ficción en un relato envejecido, pero quizás visionario.
Alberto Carlos
Interesante recopilación de historias breves. En general es algo irregular esta mezcla de géneros y todo, pero es un buen comienzo para ver cómo se convirtió Moebius en lo que es.
Brian
Nov 06, 2008 marked it as to-read
drawn by moebius, written by dan obamon
  • The Incal, Vol. 1 (The Incal, #1-2)
  • Chihuahua Pearl
  • Fraction
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 2
  • Sur les terres truquées (Valérian, #7)
  • Les Six Voyages de Lone Sloane
  • Forming
  • The Nikopol Trilogy
  • Les murailles de Samaris (Les Cités obscures, #1)
  • Dreams of the Rarebit Fiend
  • Aama, 2: La multitud invisible (Aâma #2)
  • City of Glass: The Graphic Novel
  • Stray Toasters
Jean Henri Gaston Giraud (pen-name: Mœbius) was a French artist, cartoonist, and writer, who worked in the Franco-Belgian bandes dessinées tradition.

Also publishes as Jean Giraud.

The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Forbidden Work, Vol. 0: The Horny Goof and Other Underground Stories (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #0)
  • The Black and White Work, Vol. ½: The Early Mœbius and Other Humorous Stories (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #1/2)
  • The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 1: Upon a Star (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #1)
  • The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 2: Arzach and Other Fantasy Stories (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #2)
  • The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 3: The Airtight Garage (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #3)
  • The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 5: The Gardens of Aedena (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #5)
  • The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 6: Pharagonesia and Other Strange Stories (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #6)
  • The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 7: The Goddess (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #7)
  • The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 8: Mississippi River (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #8)
  • The Collected Fantasies, Vol. 9: Stel (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #9)