Start by marking “Trouble with Lichen” as Want to Read:
Trouble with Lichen

Trouble with Lichen

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  3,200 Ratings  ·  179 Reviews
A satirical and fantastical foray into world of biochemistry and the discovery of the cure for aging. An outstanding, classic science fiction text.
Published May 31st 1973 by Penguin Books Ltd (first published 1960)

Nayra.Hassan
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
ان جيلنا لا يعبأ بالتعاسة التي سيسببها..✒
اللعنة على اطفال اطفالنا مادمنا نحن على ما يرام ..و لكن اذا استطعنا ان نحيا حياة طويلة كي نقلق من اجل انفسنا؟؟
اننا نخطو نصف خطوة نحو الحكمة و بعدها نشيخ..نحتاج الى الوقت كي نكتسب الحكمة و نستعملها..و الا سنموت جوعا"ا

هذا هي قصص الخيال العلمي التي تروق لى⚪
.. ذلك النوع الطموح الفلسفي العاقل الذي ميز فترة منتصف القرن العشرين
فكرة لامعة عن منتج "الانتيجيرون" المأخوذ من "الحزاز" لا يمنحك الخلود بالطبع و لكن يطيل عمر الخلايا بشكل يمنحك وقتا اطول
تبهرك الرواية رغ
Arielle Walker
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5

I'm fast becoming a fan of Wyndham's works. This is a lot more thought provoking than Day of the Triffids, though I will confess to enjoying it far less. Though it comes across a little preachy at times, Trouble With Lichens is nonetheless interesting, funny (at times), relevant and thought provoking, and I can honestly confess that I did not see that end coming.
Nikki
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Trouble with Lichen didn't strike me as quite as readable as Wyndham's other books, but the prominence of female characters/concerns was a welcome surprise. The plot is a bit different to Wyndham's other books, too. You might be excused, knowing Wyndham's other books, for thinking that this is a book about lichen taking over the world, but this isn't one of his post-apocalyptic efforts.

If you've enjoyed Wyndham's other stuff, this is a bit different, but equally enjoyable, I think. The science i
Shannon
Feb 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was written by the guy who wrote Day of the Triffids, and we should all know what I think of that book by now [it's awesome to the power eleventy billion]. I was expecting something along similar lines – an out of control plant species runs amok, humanity is threatened, and we are forced to face the moral questions that come along with fighting for survival in an increasingly cruel world.

That’s not what Trouble With Lichen is about at all, though I did keep imagining this silent creep
Robert
Aug 31, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
I read several Wyndham novels when I was 12 or 13 - this was one of them. My recollection of those novels was that they were enjoyable but tended to have poor endings, as if Wyndham had said what he wanted, got bored and just stopped. The exception was The Day of the Triffids which had a satisfactory ending. So how would I respond to re-reading Trouble with Lichen?

First I found it a good deal more sophisticated than memory had led me to believe: The book is a feminist tract, following the career
Simon
Jan 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
When I first saw the title of this book, I thought it would be about how lichen would somehow become a danger to mankind, pose a threat that might wipe us all out. But it's not like that at all. Rather lichen offers mankind the solution to one of it's oldest problems, but the two people who discover it fear the social ramifications of it getting out.

I'm not even going to talk about the nature of the benefits this lichen offers to mankind because it's not revealed until about 25% of the way throu
Ah Med Yahia
" ماذا لو عشنا اعواما فوق اعوام من الترف والثراء اهذا حقا لنا بان نظلم اجيالا اخري .. ان تعيش ثلاثة اعمار عمرك .. اين يجد ابنائك العمل ... ماذا لو خلق هذا جيلين من العاطلين .... اللعنة على اطفال اطفالنا مادمنا نحن بخير"

قصص الخيال العلمي دائما ما تجذبني نحوها فلا قدرة لي علي تركها

ماذا تعرف عن الكيمياء الحيوية؟؟

الانتيجيرون المستخلص من الحزاز ..الذي يقضي ع الشيخوخة ويطيل العمر الي مائتي عام .. ما السر ف هذا الرقم؟؟

ديانا الكيميائية التي فاقت التوقعات .. وكما وصفت .. تهرب اللالئ الثمينة بداخل لال
Daavid
This John Wyndham book, did not really contain anything that made me feel awesome (or even great or wonderful, for that matter), and as a result after loving his books like The Day of the Triffids, The Chrysalids and The Midwich Cuckoos, having read through the years, this one was very much near to boring, and even skippable I should say, much like how Chocky was just prior to this about four years ago. In fact Chocky was slightly better than this!

However, still, the idea of not ageing, being th
Fantasy Literature
Feb 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Published in 1960, John Wyndham’s Trouble with Lichen tells the story of Diana Brackley, a revolutionary, a feminist, and a scientist.

Diana is considered odd because although she is attractive, she does not want to marry. Instead, she is dedicated to her career in the lab, and it is there that she makes her amazing discovery: a type of lichen that slows the aging process. Diana decides to use the lichen to empower women, and she sets up a beauty clinic that caters to rich and influential women (
Jessica
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was AMAZING! I love John Wyndham, but my problem with him was that his books always came across as sexist and racist. Though this book is still massively problematic in Wyndham's understanding of feminism, it's at least an understanding and frankly it's a pretty good one! He seems to have a good understanding of the binary between the public and domestic spheres and how that works in gender, and frankly, it was just well-written and exciting!

My new dream is to find a lichen that starts a f
  • Slave Ship
  • Selected Short Stories (Modern Classics)
  • خلف جدار النوم
  • Project Pendulum
  • A Wrinkle in the Skin
  • 1984 ج2
  • مغامرات أرسين لوبين
  • Pilgrimage: The Book of the People (The People)
  • Twilight World
John Wyndham Parkes Lucas Beynon Harris was the son of a barrister. After trying a number of careers, including farming, law, commercial art and advertising, he started writing short stories in 1925. After serving in the civil Service and the Army during the war, he went back to writing. Adopting the name John Wyndham, he started writing a form of science fiction that he called 'logical fantasy'. ...more
More about John Wyndham...
“I'm not romancing. I'm talking about the inevitable time when, unless we do something to stop it, men will be hunting men through the ruins, for food. We're letting it drift towards that, with an evil irresponsibility, because with our ordinary short lives we shan't be here to see it. Does our generation care about the misery it is bequeathing? Not it. "That's their worry," we say. "Damn our children's children; we're all right.” 2 likes