Start by marking “The Other Side and Back” as Want to Read:
The Other Side and Back

The Other Side and Back

"Psychic, medium, clairvoyant, channel--these are all words to describe Sylvia Browne's unique powers. I've personally witnessed her bring closure to distraught families, help the police close cases, and open people's hearts to help them see the good within themselves."—Montel Williams"

The Other Side and Back is the most grounded and authentic 'entry to the other side' tha
Published July 1st 2000 by Signet (first published August 1st 1999)

Start your review of The Other Side and Back
Ashlie Gillis Nelson
This book literally change my life and my faith. I was 21 when I first read this book on a whim. I was browsing the book isle while waiting on pictures to be developed at wallgreens when I saw this book and had remembered hearing about Sylvia Browne on TV and thought I would check it out.

I have change my belief systems many times over. I have been Baptist, Non-denominational, Wiccan, Buddhist and a few others. I have always been fascinated with death and life after death and searching for the o
Alisa
May 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, grc, new-age
One of my elderly woman brought this book from the library, gave it to me, and told me to read it out loud to her.. next thing you know, over the time frame of 3 days, I have a group of people around me listening and we had very good conversation about this today. Yes.. it was a little heated at times because you have so many people and so many opinions, but all in all this was a great book. They really enjoyed it and so did I.. if not for what the book was about, then atleast for the fact that ...more
Karen
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am writing this review now 11 years later and to this day I live my life based on the beliefs Sylvia Browne has laid out in this book.

I read this book back in 2001 just after the loss of our daughter Victoria. It helped me a lot to understand the other side (Heaven) and why everything happens for a reason and how we choose our life before we come to this life or the body.

I will add to this review again after I read the book again.

I highly recommend this book to anyone that has lost a loved one
MizzSandie
Aug 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
This woman is apparently surrounded by controversy and a lot of people say she is a fraud, and of course she herself claims to be a true psychic. I don't know what to believe, to be honest, but the truth is i'm enjoying this book regardless. What's important to me isn't so much wether she really did and have seen all the things she says she did, or if they come true, I still find it an interesting read, and i like the overall messages in the book.
I definately think it's good to be skeptic about
Ann-Marie
Aug 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
As with any spiritual book, you take from it what you desire to know. I met Sylvia Brown before she became famous when I was 19 years old. I can attest to her amazing gifts. That being said, nothing is constant and predictions should be taken with a grain of salt. You are the creator of your path in life. If you are curious to matters beyond the physical existence, this is a great insight to those possibilities.
Emily
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Not everyone believes that Sylvia browne is a true Physic, me.. i dont know what i believe but i do know this Parts of this book rang true to me as it supported a few experiences that i have had, If your not a fan of Sylvia browne thats ok you dont have to be this is not a book of perdictions or anything truely Physic its is more or less a book about the other side told by those who believe they have seen it themselves
Maria Carmo
Even if I have some different perspectives regarding some of the subjects, it is a good book in as much it encourages people to be positive, have the courage to search for their own truth and not to put themselves under any external influence that may take away their dignity and well being. It is certainly written by someone who is filled with good "vibes" and I enjoyed reading it.

Maria Carmo

Lisbon 15th. August 2012.
Jamila
Apr 18, 2008 rated it did not like it
I thought The Church of Scientology was ridiculous until I read this book. I have a very open mind and was looking into a lot of spiritual based books to give me insight after the death of a good friend which I did not find through the pages of this book.

Browns' “ideas” are so out there, they are ridiculous and demented! It is no surprise she appears on daytime talk shows. This book is meant for people who enjoy Jerry Springer and other trashy TV programs.

Brown tells us that “the other side” is
A Haunted Reader
Sep 29, 2010 rated it did not like it
After going through a crisis of faith, I was sure that psychics could help restore my faith in the divine. After buying several of her books and reading them I was completely convinced that she would make a wonderful fiction writer. She has no talents. After reading her biography and reviews of her 'psychic' sessions I realized she was a complete fraud. Her ideas are absolutely looney. If she believes half of what she writes she's a nut.
Carole Rae
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is my second book I've read by Sylvia Browne. The first one I read was solely about reincarnation and near-death. That was really good and it reaffirmed my belief in reincarnation and spirit guides, so I've always been interested in Sylvia Browne's work since that book. Reece found this for me recently and I'm glad she did.

In this book she does talk a bit about spirit guides and reincarnation, but she mainly focuses on the "Other side" which is a form of heaven, but not your a-typical heave
Sue
Nov 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Curious about the Other Side?
Recommended to Sue by: Mom
I like Sylvia's style of writing. She is witty and interjects with many amusing things. Sometimes I find myself laughing out loud.

I am currently reading this book and find it fascinating. For me it's an exploration which I remember to take with a grain-of-salt but I can't help but think it all make sense. And thoughts that I had before... are coalescing together. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to study spirituality and work on it.
This book was witty, quick, and smart. It really urges
Maizie
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
With her super natural abilities she tells what happens when you die. You might not believe but she makes a skeptic change there mind. Her books are very informing and leaves you only wanting more. If your not sure pick up the book read a few pages and you just might change your view. she is a very intelligent women who has knowledge to share even if you don't believe in what she does it doesn't hurt to expand your knowledge.
Marla
Jan 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who would like to rethink a concept
Recommended to Marla by: a friend
Shelves: spiritual
I really need to read a few more of her books. This one fascinated me! I think my (by far) favorite part was when she explains how our children choose us. I was so overwhelmed with this idea that I immediately went to my son and put my arms around him in a hug and told him "Thank you for choosing me as your mother."
Abby
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great intro and reference book to The Other Side. Covers the basics of metaphysical/spiritual concepts. Sort of reminded me of the 'Handbook for the Recently Deceased' in Beetlejuice. Looking forward to reading 'Life on the Other Side.'
Deanna
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book has helped me so much. When I read any of her books she makes me feel so positive about life. I've learned to worry less and look at death as another adventure and not the end.
C.
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Other Side And Back", 1999, is an important book to any faith. Sylvia Browne insisted on substantiating spiritual details she received, with research. Banish any bias conjured by the word "psychic". This discusses everyday topics and some Heavenly questions we were keen to have answered. Sylvia consulted for a living but accepted no money for missing persons and refused a "psychic hotline". Our impressions of well known personages should not derive from hearsay. Read this book.

Largely autob
Anne Marie
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
As I read this book, I kept comparing the thoughts of this psychic and author, Sylvia Browne, with Lorna Byrne, the author that can see angels. Lorna talks about our guardian angels, where Sylvia says we have a "spirit guide." Lorna seems to have more of a spiritualness about her, while Sylvia just wants to tell us all about her psychic readings and visions. Most of Sylvia's book really to me was telling us how to live a happy life, and be positive. I got very curious as to how Sylvia Browne pas ...more
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A beautiful book that gave me so many answers I didn't even know I was looking for- but my soul did. I haven't read these books in so long and have found I wish I still had them. I've read nearly all of her books cover to cover and then would use as reference. Sometimes it just helps to read a section or two of other people's experiences to know you're not alone or just if you need your spirits lifted. This book changed me and once I read it. As Sylvia always said, "take what you want and leave ...more
Melissa Knotts
Aug 13, 2008 rated it liked it
I read this book for a paper I was writing in college on psychics. It was extremely interesting whether you believe her or not or in afterlife itself. The extremely detailed and discriptive way she speaks of angels, ghosts, our spirit guides etc. is very interesting and really makes you think and wonder about all the things that might be out there.
rebekah
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting book.alot of information that I found valuable for my own beliefs.

I gave this book 5 stars. it helped me to understand better and put things in perspective.but I still have alot to learn .about certain topics discussed in this book.but if you are a curious .this is a good read very informative.
Amber K.
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
This was interesting and a lot of it was really nice to think about, but I still feel skeptical. But, I think that's okay though! Despite my skepticism it was still an interesting read and I would recommend it to others wanting to learn more about the different "afterlives."
Rachel June
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing book about the other side (life after death). I've read this book 3 times and still want to read it again. Highly recommend to those curious about the afterlife or to find comfort in their grief.
Claire
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some of it resonated with me, some of it didn't. All in all an interesting read with some decent tips and amazing stories (take 'em or leave 'em). Writing style was fun and conversational. May she rest in peace.
Donna Dobihal Smith
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, nonfiction
Though readers may be skeptical, taking or leaving the information shared by the author, this work is compelling, offering hope and practical suggestions for living one's life, through the good times and bad. Interesting, useful, positive - a great read!
Inra
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. I couldn't stop reading it till the end. It's really is a page-turner and a mind-blowing experience. An eye-opening for spiritual enthusiast. Read this book and you will get plenty of knowledge. Thanks Sylvia! I know you can hear me from the other side :-)
Emelie
This kind of spirituality has come to feel to dopey for me lately.
Carolyn
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very interesting and gives a lot for us all to think about. I like her positive attitude!!
Elvalo
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I like it.
Carrie McCullough Jenkins
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book full of unbelievable, yet possible, stories that have me hope.
Ana
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For every spiritual-related book, an open mind is needed. I love spirituality and find this book incredibly interesting, it is absolutely an eye-opener. I am not a Christian, so sometimes it is a bit hard to relate to what Sylvia was trying to convey.Besides that, I enjoyed the book very much, even more than Prophecy.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Talking to Heaven: A Medium's Message of Life After Death
  • Embraced by the Light
  • Same Soul, Many Bodies: Discover the Healing Power of Future Lives through Progression Therapy
  • The End of Harry Potter?
  • Edgar Cayce: The Sleeping Prophet
  • Crossing Over
  • A Course in Miracles
  • Anatomy of the Spirit: The Seven Stages of Power and Healing
  • Journey of Souls: Case Studies of Life Between Lives
  • Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife
  • Saved by the Light: The True Story of a Man Who Died Twice and the Profound Revelations He Received
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul
  • The Celestine Vision: Living the New Spiritual Awareness
  • Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, and Savor...
  • Martha Stewart's Cupcakes: 175 Inspired Ideas for Everyone's Favorite Treat
  • Martha Stewart's Cookies: The Very Best Treats to Bake and to Share
  • The Spiral Staircase: My Climb Out of Darkness
  • The Cake Bible
Sylvia Browne was a number one New York Times–bestselling author and world-famous psychic. She appeared regularly on The Montel Williams Show and Larry King Live and made countless other media and public appearances. She was the founder of a church, the Society of Novus Spiritus.

News & Interviews

“Death is the Graduation of the Soul” 25 likes
“it’s just a fact that any pain we cause someone else will eventually do more damage to us than to them. And frankly, we’ve all got enough problems without piling that on ourselves on top of everything else.” 0 likes