Start by marking “Deep South (Anna Pigeon, #8)” as Want to Read:
Deep South (Anna Pigeon, #8)

Deep South (Anna Pigeon #8)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  5,623 Ratings  ·  286 Reviews

In Deep South, Anna travels cross-country to Mississippi, only to encounter terrible secrets in the heart of the south.

The handwritten sign on the tree said it all: Repent. For Anna, this should have been reason enough to turn back
Published February 1st 2001 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Deep South, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sabrina The preacher didn't kill her, he started and hit her when she stumbled on them but the preacher's partner did the actual killing of the girl and cover…moreThe preacher didn't kill her, he started and hit her when she stumbled on them but the preacher's partner did the actual killing of the girl and cover up of her body.(less)

Jeanne
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the beginning of this series I though detective Anna Pigeon showed a lot of potential for depth and personal growth along with the adventures at various National Parks. Now I'm not so sure. I liked the interactions with her new colleagues and how she had to establish herself in her new position. I thought the detective work was pathetic with lots of holes in the process of uncovering the mystery. Mostly I am really tired of the inevitable scene where Anna fends off incredible injuries and pai ...more
Choko
Sep 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Gosh, another very tough read... With Anna being as weird and depressed and the author expressing the horribleness of things we can not change, this book totally depressed me... It is not that it is a bad book, quite the opposite. It is another murder solved in a very observational and still quite unlikely way... Once again nature is the main hero, but this time loneliness and hate permeate the book and it just made me ... sad ... Rangers have very little as a leverage, apparently, when it comes ...more
Carol
May 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
This was an interesting and pleasant read, the first of Barr's novels that I've read. Some of the characters didn't ring true - purported teens using Princess Di and Kurt Russell as frames of reference, for example. Still, I enjoyed the focus on the outdoors and Nat'l Park Service processes and procedures, for a change from other mystery novel authors dominating the marketplace.
Lighthearted
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, suspense
In Deep South, Anna Pigeon has just accepted a promotion as District Ranger for the Port Gibson District of the Natchez Trace Parkway in Mississippi. As it turns out, she’s the first female district ranger in this area and that doesn’t go over very well with some of the locals, or some of her staff for that matter. However, Anna’s not only dealing with sexist bigots, she’s dealing with racist bigots as well—not to mention a murder, a suicide and a handful of truly frightening situations.

Anna’s n
Robin
Good book. Liked the ending. Not who I thought did it.
Patrizia
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
4 1/2 stelle
I libri di questa serie sono, per certi aspetti, "duri": qui, per esempio, si parla di razzismo e maschilismo all'ennesima potenza. E la protagonista rischia più volte la vita, solo perché qualcuno vede male una donna in una posizione di comando. Bello il mistero: avevo adocchiato il colpevole, ma avevo sbagliato su tutta la linea per quanto riguarda il movente. Infine, sembra che finalmente Anna possa avere una svolta positiva nel campo affettivo: speriamo perché se lo merita propri
A.M.
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always anticipate an Anna Pigeon novel with a bit of dread, because they tend to be graphic and intense; however, once I start reading, I get completely sucked in and just can't stop.

Set along the Natchez Trace Parkway, Deep South is an engaging read and captures the dense lushness of the Southern landscape. Though it contains a bit about the Civil War, featuring Civil War re-enactment buffs, this story doesn't "educate" the reader as much about that particular national park or the area's hist
Ed
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#8 in the Anna Pigeon series. "2001 Barry Award for Best Novel; Finalist 2001 Anthony Award for Best Mystery" Racism is a new target for Ranger Pigeon.

Ranger Anna Pigeon mystery - Anna is promoted to District Ranger on the Natchez Trace Parkway in MS. The post prom murder of a high school girl, with KKK trappings, mars her arrival. Hostility and sabotage from a field ranger complicates things.

Jessica
This book was okay. Nothing special, but kept me interested for the most part. I feel like pretty much anyone with college writing experience could've authored it. Definitely not life changing, definitely not going down in the books for literary greatness, but entertaining nontheless.
Heather
Jul 10, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Lovers
I really enjoyed this book about a Natchez Trace park ranger who has to solve the murder of a teenager while staying alive herself. I had mystery, suspense, and a little bit of romance thrown in.
Jan C
Jun 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, south
This was the first one I read in this series.

It takes place in the Natchez Trace Parkway and I had recently been there. So there was an added interest. Anyway it got me hooked on the series.
Tim
Jul 04, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another good read by Nevada.
Frances Anderson
I really, really wish I could give this more than three stars but I just can't. The book is really well written and I love Anna Pigeon. She is spunky and caring and is just the way I would like to be when I grow up. BUT...
I gather that Nevada Barr works or worked for the Park Service, and I think she probably worked on the Natchez Trace park. It shows. It shows too much. A lot of the book was a data dump on the park in excruciating detail. Too. much. detail. Where is an editor when you need one?
Pamela Mclaren
Park Ranger Anna Pigeon is on the move. She has received a promotion to a management position at the Natchez Trace Parkway (because each of the books takes place in a different national park, she must have a horrible work history ...) and along with two grumpy, apparently unwilling-to-work-for-a-woman deputies, she is quickly involved in a murder of a 16-year-old girl. Along with figuring out what is going on in her new territory, with her deputies and some of the campers she encounters, she is ...more
Chris
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best "Anna Pigeon" of the series, but Anna did not stray very far from character. There were some very interesting side-plots, but the main mystery plot was pretty thin. Hoping Anna finds happiness after all her injuries. That part (the injuries) is getting tedious…but I'll keep reading! After all, the enjoyment to be had in this series is learning about the National Parks, Monuments and places to visit in this country. I think in doing so, we'd see that they'd be friendlier places than ...more
Sherri Robinson
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been a loyal Nevada Barr since a friend shared them with me back in the early 2000's but somehow I missed this one. Also since some of the characters repeat, I wanted to revisit them again. As someone living in the PNW, and now exploring the National Parks nation wide, this book was of high interest. I liked how not all the Southern characters were stereotypes too.
Chuck Heikkinen
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Reading an Anna Pigeon novel is refreshment. The ongoing story of Anna's pilgrimage through life this time takes her to the Natchez Trace in Mississippi, where she fights with an alligator, deals with an ornery, litigious subordinate, flirts with falling in love, gets beat up, and, oh yes, solves a murder. Nevada Barr has a delightfully unique style making the read genuinely a treat.
Micki
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. Tedious, slow-moving tale of s park ranger who is trying to solve a teenage murder. First turn off was when Anna Pigeon, park ranger, goes to the high school to interview another teen who might be involved. Since when can you interview a minor without parental approval? I kept reading but the book just dragged on from there.
Sue
May 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nevada Barr was one of my mom's favorite mystery authors. One reason probably was the setting in a national park service location somewhere in the US. A female protagonist helped too. This story set in Mississippi, was a good read. Northern white woman coming to head up as park ranger in the Deep South brings, as you might expect, a variety of tensions.
Cookie Brandt
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I might have just stumbled on to a new author to enjoy! I don't know why I haven't read one of Pidgeon series books before. I enjoyed the independent thinking and open minded heroine. Not snarky or scheming, just an average woman
in a traditional male job getting things done. Her fauna & flora are described simply in detail without being too flowery and boring. Interesting info on the National parks and how the Rangers jobs vs police officers responsibilities.
Helen-Louise
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Al older Anna Pigeon book, in which she meets Paul, her sheriff/Episcopal priest husband to be. A good story, written in 2000, but perhaps particularly pertinent today, dealing as it does with racism, and "racism" as a cover for a crime.
Julie
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It amazes the physical abuse this heroine can endure. "Never give it up" must be tattooed somewhere on her body. As always, the author provides good imagery of place -- this time the Natchez Trace Parkway in Mississippi.
Bethel
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super good Mississippi mud book. Carry on Anna
Katrina Mitchell
Love that Anna Pigeon!
Anna
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book more than the previous book in the series. Thankfully this brought me back into the more typical world of Anna Pigeon. I am hooked again and will continue reading the series.
Doemar Grey
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best! I love this series. Being a southerner, I enjoyed the character's introduction to the South and I chuckled out loud often in this book.
LInda L
Not as good as some, but still great.
Bob
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Civil War
chris
Sep 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anna-pigeon
After her urban adventures on New York's Ellis Island in Liberty Falling, park ranger Anna Pigeon has finally "heeded the ticking of her bureaucratic clock" and signed on for a promotion in the boonies: district ranger on the Natchez Trace Parkway. Anna's mental images of Mississippi come from black-and-white stock photos from the civil rights movement of the 1960s, so it's not surprising that she finds it beautiful but strange, its residents caught in a teased-hair, fried-food time warp. But sh ...more
Holly
written in 2001, set on the Natchez Trace Parkway Park Ranger Anna Pigeon stumbles upon a gruesome murder with frightening racial overtones in the latest installment of this bestselling series. I think this is #8 in the series. I didn't read 1-7. Anna just got a promotion to district ranger and she faces a lot of resentment. One she is a woman and two she is a yankee. She is moving from Mesa Verde where she was a field ranger. My favorite part of her move was "Exhibiting true governmental logic, ...more
  • Midnight Come Again (Kate Shugak, #10)
  • Love Lies Bleeding (China Bayles, #6)
  • Listening Woman (Leaphorn & Chee, #3)
  • The Thunder Keeper (Wind River Reservation, #7)
Nevada Barr is a mystery fiction author, known for her "Anna Pigeon" series of mysteries, set in National Parks in the United States. Barr has won an Agatha Award for best first novel for Track of the Cat.

Barr was named after the state of her birth. She grew up in Johnstonville, California. She finished college at the University of California, Irvine. Originally, Barr started to pursue a career in
More about Nevada Barr...

Anna Pigeon (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Track of the Cat (Anna Pigeon, #1)
  • A Superior Death (Anna Pigeon, #2)
  • Ill Wind (Anna Pigeon, #3)
  • Firestorm (Anna Pigeon, #4)
  • Endangered Species (Anna Pigeon, #5)
  • Blind Descent (Anna Pigeon, #6)
  • Liberty Falling (Anna Pigeon, #7)
  • Blood Lure (Anna Pigeon, #9)
  • Hunting Season (Anna Pigeon, #10)
  • Flashback (Anna Pigeon, #11)
“As she drove the Trace, each curve revealing a scene rich with life and as picturesque as illustrations from a children's book, Anna was struck again by the beauty of the state. Over her years as a Yankee and a Westerner, she'd heard Mississippi described many ways. Beautiful had never been one of them.” 6 likes
“When she finally found her way onto the Trace, the sun was rising and, with it, her spirits.

The Natchez Trace Parkway, a two lane road slated, when finished to run from Nashville, Tennessee, to Natchez, Mississippi, had been the brainchild of the Ladies' Garden Clubs in the South. Besides preserving a unique part of the nations past,...the Trace would not be based on spectacular scenery but would conserve the natural and agricultural history of Mississippi.”
5 likes