Start by marking “Graded Go Problems for Beginners, 30 Kyu to 25 Kyu (Beginner & Elementary Go Bks.) (Beginner & Elementary Go Books)” as Want to Read:

Published August 10th 1997 by Kiseido Publishing Co. (first published January 1st 1985)

Be the first to ask a question about Graded Go Problems for Beginners, 30 Kyu to 25 Kyu (Beginner & Elementary Go Bks.)

Start your review of Graded Go Problems for Beginners, 30 Kyu to 25 Kyu (Beginner & Elementary Go Bks.) (Beginner & Elementary Go Books)
Jason
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Solid material, but meant for a 9x9 board (which is what a 25 kyu player should be playing on anyways). There are only a few 19x19 problems at all, most is very small game strategy. I bought a paper copy, then bought another on the SmartGo app and found the app was waaaaaay more enjoyable to read it on because it was interactive.
Glen
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a first-book of problems, not a how-to-play-Go book. After this book, I moved on to In the Beginning because being able to live and kill in simple situations isn't enough to play on a 19x19 board.

A few problems in "Graded Go Problems for Beginners" were much harder than the others and needed further explanation. But all told, this was many times more helpful than the hours I spent on goproblems.com. There is a method to this book and an order to the problems that helped me understand thi
Jason
Sep 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Go
Shelves: nonfiction
A good collection of 250 VERY beginner problems in Go. It starts by explaining the rules and gives the most basic of basic situations, but it eventually gets to more complicated problems.

What I find so great about this book is that it not only gives the correct answer, but it also shows a wrong answer for every problem, and EXPLAINS WHY IT'S WRONG. I find this to be very helpful. Sometimes with other lists of problems, I'll think the wrong move is correct and won't be able to see why. Having an
Malcolm Bastien
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good book. It seems to get challenging during the middle, then easy again near the end. I felt like there were only a handful of problems that were challenging, I'd say there was a lot of repetition to drive home certain patterns and concepts (which is why the four stars).

Only a few times did I feel like the correct or incorrect solutions deserved more of an explanation than the book gave.

The book was also super heavily focused on capturing, seki, and atari. Only maybe six problems in the whole
Coryke
Feb 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: go-game
Not terribly difficult for anyone who has played more than a handful of go games. Nevertheless, there are still a few problems where some thoughtfulness is required. This book is ideal for those just starting out with the game of go or for those who want a refresher or to sharpen their chops by starting back at the beginning.
Evan
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, go
While not exactly a book one reads in the traditional sense, this workbook or collection of go problems (tsumego) covers several facets of the game from life-and-death situations to the opening, endgame, and capturing races. While doing problems online is nice, having the ability to click-through to the answer or try several attempts that might be correct doesn't exactly transfer to an in-game setting where a stone laid is a stone played. Staring at a static drawing and working out the positions ...more
Andrej
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Go problems for beginners. Many of them are repetitive, probably to build a new player's muscle memory. Good coverage of basic tactical moves, but almost no strategy. Most of the problems have a straightforward 1-move solution, which is more boring than to look ahead further. I very much prefer the approach used in Cho Chikun's "Complete Introduction" in this regard. Explanations are also laconic and not very useful: "1 is more profitable than 2."
Sebastian
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very good place to start.

After someone learns the rules of the game and some of the general principles, an important component in those first go games is the ability to read sequences correctly. An effective way to develop this skill, besides playing, is by solving problems.

This book has 239 problems for beginners. Some of them are really easy, such as spotting the move that puts the opponent stones in atari, but others will challenge the beginner player and provide a decent mental workout. Co
Invisible
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: games, go
This is a very nice collection of Go problems for beginners. The book starts with trivial problems, but by the end of the book, you'll start to pause to think about the problem first. All solutions are nicely explained, and the book has a re-read value in it. Even when you reach 15-kyu or better strength, it's nice to flip through it and solve some easy problems.

Other books in the series nicely ramp up the difficulty in problems and are highly recommended. In fact, you'll probably want very soon
Steve Paulson
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: go
This is my 2nd start at go and this was much easier to go through than the 1st time I read it some 5 years ago.

Which is ok. This is a fine book of basic problems for beginners.

It could be even better with some introductory theoretical commentary for each of the subject areas. Yes, I know that there are plenty of intro books that provide that but, for a beginner, providing some additional context for the problems would be very helpful.
Bryce Johnson
Feb 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Even though I've played very little go, I really enjoy thinking about go puzzles, and this is a very nice collection. This really is a beginners book so many of the answers are obvious, but I still got a couple wrong from not thinking through them correctly. This is actually the second time I've read this; maybe on a third run-through I'll get them all instantly.

I don't know if I'll ever play much go, but I am looking forward to working through the next puzzles in the series.
Aniket
Jan 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: go
Fantastic book for someone who has just learned the rules of the game. Its one failing is that by the time a player is out looking for books to improve their game, they are probably past the level of this book already. Probably best for a beginner without much opportunity for actual play, or who really wants to nail down the fundamentals.
Steve
Jan 28, 2009 added it
GO
Thjodbjorn
Jun 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Beginning go players
Hopefully, I learned enough to suck a little bit less.
Vũ Anh
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: skill-game-go
finally completed this book
Daniel Hagström
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Same problems several times. And sometimes the explanation for the right move is a bit thin. But overall a good introductory book.
Manuel
Cole Tucker
Jul 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Go for Beginners
  • The Way of the Moving Horse (Learn to Play Go, #2)
  • Opening Theory Made Easy
  • Tarot de La Santa Muerte
  • La Santa Muerte: Unearthing the Magic & Mysticism of Death
  • The Walk: Steps for New and Renewed Followers of Jesus
  • The Psalms: New Catholic Version
  • Learn to Play Go: A Master's Guide to the Ultimate Game (Learn to Play Go, #1)
  • Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fiction and Illusions
  • Unshakable Standing Strong When Things Go Wrong
  • Jesus of Nazareth: From the Baptism in the Jordan to the Transfiguration
  • Jesus of Nazareth: The Infancy Narratives
  • No Greater Love
  • Every Tool's a Hammer: Life Is What You Make It
  • アオハライド 1 (Ao Haru Ride, #1)
  • アオハライド 2 (Ao Haru Ride, #2)
  • Ten Billion Days and One Hundred Billion Nights
  • Death Note: Another Note - The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases
1 follower
From Sensei's Library:

Kano Yoshinori (加納 嘉徳 Kanō Yoshinori, April 14, 1928-1999) was a Nihon Ki-in 9-dan professional Go player.

Kano was born April 14, 1928 in Kyoto, Japan. At the age of nine, he become a student of Suzuki Hideko 5-dan in Tokyo. In 1943 he attained the rank of professional 1 dan, and was promoted to 9 dan in 1968. He has won the 1948 Young Professional Cup?, the 1955 top section

News & Interviews