Start by marking “Se7en” as Want to Read:
Se7en

Se7en

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  71 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Gluttony, greed, sloth, lust, pride, envy, wrath. A serial killer on a warped moral mission who turns his victims' "sins" into the means of their murder. The movie Seven is analyzed here covering topics such as sin, story, structure, seriality, sound, sight and salvation.
Published May 27th 1999 by British Film Institute

To ask other readers questions about Se7en, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Se7en

Ryan Splenda
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
The exploration of sin is what Richard Dyer talks about in this study of one of the great thriller/horror movies, Se7en. Dyer breaks down every component of the mis en scene and montage to help formulate an argument that this is the ultimate movie ever made about sin. Hopefully, this film continues to get studied for years to come. If so, this book is essential in understanding some of the complexities involved with our world.
Rob Blundell
Oct 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
To read an in depth analysis of a very dark dark film, was always going to be a tough task. The book took me back into the sights, sounds, music and the shock of the film and most importantly back to the cinema I sat in when I first watched it. Very good.
Jessica
Another great criticism in the BFI Modern Classics series; I love reading these books and rewatching the movies to see new things.
Rob
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful little book that should appeal to fans of the film and film students alike
S. Wilson
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
While Dyer's book on the David Fincher film Seven is a competent and thorough examination of he film, it still manages to feel as if it falls short by the end. To be fair, this might be in part due to my own familiarity with the film. However, there is definitely something lacking Dyer's approach to the film, which seems difficult considering how detailed he is, with separate chapters (seven, of course) for Sin, Story, Structure, Seriality, Sound, Sight, and Salvation.

Perhaps part of the problem
Michelle
May 16, 2013 rated it liked it
One of my favourite films, but this book failed to hit the home run the source material pitched. In fact, Dyer actually manages to make what for me is an extraordinary film rather pedestrian by going on and on about lighting, sound and *yawn* the colour of Morgan Freeman/Somerset's skin. And who would compare this film to a buddy movie..? Dyer apparently, and he spends a few pages discussin Lethal Weapon oh and - yes - Danny Glover is black too. Zzzz. Lazy writing, lazy thinking. For me this fil ...more
Martin
Sep 05, 2012
Jude Brigley
Feb 27, 2011
Rob
rated it did not like it
Oct 08, 2007