Start by marking “Always Enough: God's Miraculous Provision Among the Poorest Children on Earth” as Want to Read:
Always Enough: God's Miraculous Provision Among the Poorest Children on Earth

Always Enough: God's Miraculous Provision Among the Poorest Children on Earth

Even the most desperate poverty, the most devastating illness, the most heart-wrenching grief is not beyond God's help. His love and power have no limits-and that's a message readers from all walks of life need to hear. The modern miracles that Rolland and Heidi Baker experience every day in their work with Mozambique's throwaway children, movingly chronicled in Always ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Chosen Books (first published July 2nd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Always Enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Always Enough

Start your review of Always Enough: God's Miraculous Provision Among the Poorest Children on Earth
Carol
Nov 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: missions, faith
Love this book. It shows the miraculous provision of GOD. Yes, I do believe miracles still happen today. One quote that is really speaking to me, "But more deeply, in order for you to be useful to the Master here-or anywhere-you must be close to Him and in love with Him. To the degree that you are intimate with Him, you will know what to do, what you must do." I know this to be true and am striving for a more intimate relationship daily. Also, they stress that there is no formula or mission ...more
Edward
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Always Enough tells the story of Rolland and Heidi Baker's ministry to the nation of Mozambique. From small beginnings with a run-down orphanage, they have started a movement that planted 5,000 churches in ~6 years. Their amazing work is a testimony to the grace and mercy of God and continues to this day. So, what's the book like?

Roughly alternating between Rolland and Heidi, the book begins with descriptions of their early lives and briefly details their work in Hong Kong and London; the main
Mary West
Mar 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
This is one of the most life-changing, life impacting books I've ever read. Heidi and Rolland are radical lovers of God who have lived in garbage dumps and shacks all across Mozambique, taking in thousands and thousands of orphans with no way of taking care of them. They depend on Jesus every day to be all that they need...and He shows up and multiplies food daily, raises the dead, opens blind eyes and ears...etc. You can't come away without your heart being broken for the orphans and the ...more
Allison
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography-read
An interesting, and inspiring, testimony of the Bakers' years serving the Lord in Mozambique. However, as much as I would love to see such revival and works of the Lord happen in America, unfortunately we are not nearly as needy as those in Mozambique. I am not sure American believers WANT to be in such dire straits so as to see such miracles as the Baker's describe in this book.
Michelle Lee
Jan 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books about God's power and His desire to lift the lowly out of the ash heaps.
It's an inspiring book that I've read several times and plan on reading again.
Ron
Jul 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
It turns out, I'd read this book before I got it. The fine print inside reveals "Originally published under the title 'There is Always Enough'." So, don't buy both. Either is fine.
Quinesia Johnson
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful account, 5 stars all the way! I had two concerns initially: were the Bakers false prophets and would I get a detailed account of a missionary journey? After reading this book in it's entirety I am convinced the Bakers are legitimate (there's too much super detailed information), and my curiosity was satisfied about the real experiences of a missionary closer to the present time. I've seen some footage of them via youtube, and that's possibly somewhat spiritually amiss. However, ...more
Ian
Wow ... this books is so so good.

Rolland & Heidi Baker outline the early days of their relationship, their awakening to Christ's incredible love for them and the start of their ministry work in Mozambique. Heidi asked for a nation to minister to and the Lord gave them Mozambique. Their story demonstrates that old chestnut that the Lord simply desires those who are available. Those who make themselves available will be used and through daily surrender will be used extraordinarily.

We get to
Isaac
Jul 10, 2012 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed reading about what God has done/is doing through the Baker's ministry; a lot of the testimonials were excellent.
I was not so much a fan of some of the written style: Often it seemed they were trying to get across the major difficulties faced by the nation on a large scale, but generally in a way completely lacking in style. Undoubtedly, the attempt was to show these trails on the large, national, scale - yet I often felt like I was merely reading lists of statistics rather than
Jonathan
Sep 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
I don't know how to understand this book. If everything is as clear-cut as the authors say it is, then much of what has happened in their ministry is absolutely amazing. However, the experience of 99.999% of the people I know who honestly love God and love others would argue that things don't always go the way that the Bakers say they do. Why not? That's something I really want to understand, but not something that was answered at all by this book.

A second, seperate issue I had was the constant
Jessie
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
A friend stopped by to give me this book over the weekend. I read the first chapter the first night and it so captivated my attention that it leap-frogged my to-read pile and I finished it in two days. The stories of God's miraculous provision, healings, and restoration of children inspired and challenged me. Think Acts meets Mozambique. I give it four stars only because the later chapters dragged a little for me. Not because they weren't amazing stories, but I think I hit what Donald Maass ...more
Megan Roth
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book while on a mission trip to Tanzania and it REALLY heavily inspired my service there and my outlook on life. I am currently re-reading the book, which is very rare for me, so that says a lot. I really love her love story that is sort of dug into in this book, and I just really admire this woman's story.

I would suggest this book to those that want to be stretched and want a greater understanding of God's work in other parts of the world. Those with a heart for service and missions
Kayla Mccormack
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
This book was a faith inspiring read. Challenged me to trust God more with my life and my calling. I was so inspired this year when I felt God tell me to go hear her speak. I missed her the first time, but the second time I was there, with a great seat. The presence of God forever changed me. I said, "YES!" to a call for full time ministry to the poor, the broken, the needy wherever the Lord will send me. Praying now for financing and direction as I press in to the call of Jesus on my life to ...more
Marisa
Jul 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Marisa by: becky and/or mark
A very powerful and deep book. I really enjoyed this, the authors heidi and rolland baker tell about their lives as missionaries in mozambique. They take in hundreds of orphaned children, make it through life threatening floods, and see that God still heals the sick, and raises the dead.
An amazing read for any christian, i would recommend it for someone anticipating becoming a missionary. The authors show what it is to give your life fully to the lord to do what ever he wants with it.
Sue
Jun 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Incredible true story of Rolland & Heidi Baker's experiences as missionaries in Mozambique. The first part of the book is background - how they met and launched into ministry first in Asia, then England, and finally Mozambique.
Read this last year before the trip and recently re-read in anticipation of the trip this year. Even though I've not actually seen the places in this book, having been in Moz. enables me to relate to situations and experiences.
Luke
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, missions
This is the story of Rolland and Heidi Baker, focusing on their experiences in Mozambique as missionaries. In Africa they experienced not only disaster and poverty on a national level, but national repentance and revival as Africa responded to God. Through the Bakers' delegation of responsibility and leadership, at least five thousand churches were started in Africa in less than a decade.
Meghan
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
As recommended by a friend, I was encouraged by this wonderful story of modern evangelist missionaries in southeastern Africa. It took a while for me to realize - and confirm by looking at the book genre on the back - that they were charismatic in their approach, but they certainly were and had a zeal we don't often experience in the U.S. for sharing God's Good News.
Stacey
Oct 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Stacey by: Corrin
Shelves: faith, missions
Really. I think God is miraculous and his provision is always enough. This story is encouraging because it talks about the modern day miracles God is doing for his people around the globe. I returned the book to my friend or I would love to copy a few of my favorite quotes. This is also a reminder of the diversity of worship within the body of Christ.
Simon
Nov 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: biography
I have no questions about the Baker's motivations or earnestness. They are a brother and sister of mine in Christ. But this book is filled with bad theology. It's written by confused people, and I'm concerned that they are only confusing others. It's also really badly written.
Brittany
Aug 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is a beautiful testimony of the living God. He is not a boxed up or even American God. He has not changed from the days of old and it is awesome to hear of the Lord's miracles and healing.
Sarabeara
If you want to hear about the amazing love of God in practical ways, this book is brilliant. I love hearing the background of Heidi and Rollands lives and the miracles God has done through them! Brilliant read!
RT Gill
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This honestly was an easy read. Heidi and Rolland tell she amazing and truthfully unbelievable stories. If you're looking to be encouraged and really find out what God is capable of from a modern story this is a great place to go. Otherwise pick up your Bible.
Cindy
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Cindy by: Susan Vigliano
5 stars for content and challenge, not necessarily writing style but I don't think the authors were concerned about winning any writing awards. I've been challenged and have a new addition to my list of "dangerous" books; books that will leave forever changed.
Stephanie
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is legitimately CRAZY. If you believe in God, read this book and see - through stories from halfway around the world - what amazing things He is willing to do when people are completely dependent on Him.
Melissa
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
very encouraging and motivating. very well written.
Lacey
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
LOVE THIS ONE!!!!
Lee Woojin
God is Good and he is moving nowadays!
Eben
Jul 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Read at my friends request. This book is great. And the Bakers represent Gods heart for the western world in the 21st century.
Mary
Oct 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
This book is about the incredible story of a couple's ministry to the poorest of the poor, "least of these" in Mozambique. This book will grab your heart right from the get go. It's very touching.
Jonathan Brenneman
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great stories of the Lord's mighty works in Mozambique! Faith-lifting and inspiring.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Voice in the Night: The True Story of a Man and the Miracles That Are Changing Africa
  • Visions Beyond the Veil
  • When Heaven Invades Earth: A Practical Guide to a Life of Miracles
  • Chasing the Dragon: One Woman's Struggle Against the Darkness of Hong Kong's Drug Den
  • The Heavenly Man: The Remarkable True Story of Chinese Christian Brother Yun
  • I Dared to Call Him Father: The Miraculous Story of a Muslim Woman's Encounter with God
  • Keeping The Fire: Sustaining revival through love: the five core values of IRIS Global
  • Eternity in Their Hearts:  Startling Evidence of Belief in the One True God in Hundreds of Cultures Throughout the World
  • Tortured for Christ
  • Good Morning, Holy Spirit
  • Dreams and Visions: Is Jesus Awakening the Muslim World?
  • The Happy Intercessor
  • A Tale of Three Kings
  • Destined to Reign: The Secret to Effortless Success, Wholeness, and Victorious Living
  • Face to Face with God: Transform Your Life with His Daily Presence
  • Lords of the Earth
  • The Supernatural Ways of Royalty: Discovering Your Rights and Privileges of Being a Son or Daughter of God
  • Spirit Wars: Winning the Invisible Battle Against Sin and the Enemy
Heidi Baker PhD is a Christian missionary and with her husband Rolland Baker are founders of Iris Global and the author of several books.

With her husband Rolland, Heidi founded IRIS Ministries in 1980, a non-profit Christian ministry dedicated to Jesus and service, especially among the poor. After twelve years ministering in Asia, they left in 1992 to do their PhD's at King's College London, UK.