Start by marking “Time Out of Joint” as Want to Read:
Time Out of Joint

Time Out of Joint

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  8,354 Ratings  ·  441 Reviews
The most consistently brilliant SF writer in the world - John Brunner.

Ragle Gumm is an ordinary man leading an ordinary life, except that he makes his living by entering a newspaper contest every day - and winning, every day. But he gradually begins to suspect that his life - indeed his whole world - is an illusion, constructed around him for the express purpose of keeping
Paperback, SF Masterworks, 220 pages
Published September 2003 by Gollancz (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Time Out of Joint, please sign up.

Dan Schwent
While the rest of the world toils at their jobs, Ragle Gumm stays at home, his sole source of income a daily newspaper contest called "Where will the little green man appear next?" When odd things start happening, Ragle thinks he may be having a nervous breakdown. Is he or is it something much more sinister?

Of course it is something more sinister. This is a Philip K. Dick novel.

A Dickhead at work has been after me for years to read this. After mindbending reads like The Great Forgetting, Dark Ma
Lyn
Dec 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Philip K. Dick's Time Out of Joint may very well have influenced the producers of the film The Truman Show.

Orson Scott Card may also have gotten some ideas for Ender's Game. PKD tells this one close to the vest for the first half of the book, slowly developing the action and leaving some M. Night Shyamalan type clues along the way for the reader to pick up.

This was published in 1959, one of his earlier novels and an observant reader of PKD will notice a more subtle approach than some of his la
Apatt
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, pre-80s-sf
“Finished with my woman 'cause she couldn't help me with my mind
people think I'm insane because I am frowning all the time
All day long I think of things but nothing seems to satisfy
Think I'll lose my mind if I don't find something to pacify

Can you help me occupy my brain?”
Cheers, Ozzy! That is Black Sabbath’s Paranoid, of course. Fits the bill for me!

I have a copy of Time Out of Joint languishing in my house for over ten years. I have no idea where it came from, I am pretty sure I never bough
Susan Budd
This is my third of Dick’s six 1950s novels. The other two were The Cosmic Puppets and The World Jones Made.

On the surface, Time Out of Joint reminds me of The Cosmic Puppets. Both are linear narratives, both are set in the 50s, and most importantly, both pose questions about the nature of reality, playing with the idea that things are not what they appear to be. The novels differ primarily in how they resolve their mysteries. This is where Time Out of Joint misses its mark. Some of the most in
Oscar
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No puedo empezar sin hacer mención a la criminal sinopsis de la contraportada de esta novela, que creo que ha seguido sucediendo incluso en ediciones de otras editoriales (véase Minotauro). Yo cometí el error de leerla y me fastidió toda la lectura, porque no hacía otra cosa que esperar, porque ya sabía que tenía que suceder, lo destripado en dicha sinopsis. Una cosa es picar la curiosidad del lector contando algo que suceda en los primeros capítulos, porque algo hay que contar, eso es indiscuti ...more
Theresa
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why didn't I start reading Philip K. Dick ages ago?!?!

WHERE HAVE I BEEN ALL MY LIFE
César Bustíos
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
¡Qué manera de jugar con mi mente, señor Dick!

La primera parte es un poco lenta pero a la vez rarísima (típico de PKD, al parecer) desde el principio. Se pone mucho mejor en los últimos capítulos. Una novela de los inicios de Dick allá por el '59.

Ragle Gumm se gana la vida participando en un concurso del periódico llamado "¿Dónde estará la próxima vez el hombrecito verde?" , siempre gana. Una vida normal, corriente. Luego de experimentar algunos eventos crecen sus sospechas sobre la veracidad de
Maria Dobos
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1959. Într-un mic oraș din America, Ragle Gumm își câștigă existența găsind soluțiile unui concurs publicat zi de zi în ziarul Gazette. Locuind cu familia surorii lui, viața lui Ragle urmează același tipar cotidian, timpul lui împărțindu-se între întâlnirile cu familia Black și concursul care i-a adus notorietatea. Încet, încet, senzația unor lucruri care nu au existat vreodată începe să-i macine conștiința, destrămându-i realitatea și făcându-l să-și pună la îndoială propriile percepții, gândur ...more
Aprile
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa, 0-gut-emotions
Time out of joint – tempo fuor di sesto, fuor di squadra
Il titolo precedente era Tempo fuori luogo. Fanucci editore riporta il titolo italiano all’originale versione tratta da una citazione dall’Amleto di Shakespeare. Sesto è l'antico nome del compasso che, permettendo di tracciare cerchi perfetti rimanda al significato di misura esatta, di ordine regolare. Essendo qui il tempo fuor di sesto, si intende dire che qualcosa, il tempo stesso, non gira più con la dovuta regolarità o precisione.
Splend
Stian
What a strange book.

I wonder if this is where the creators of 'The Truman Show' got their inspiration. A really kooky story about an ordinary guy who thinks he's living in the 1950s and just doing ordinary stuff in an ordinary little town. But is he? Well, it's Philip K. Dick. Of course he isn't. It's all some really weird crap and nothing really makes any god damn sense -- at least not until the ending, but even that is just crazy stuff.

Dagio_maya
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: americana, fanta
Please to meet you Mr Dick

1959- In una qualunque cittadina di una qualunque provincia americana, Ragle Gumm vive con la sorella Margot, il cognato Victor ed il nipotino Sammy.
All’apparenza una vita tranquilla: il lavoro, le visite del vicinato, le faccende domestiche...
Ma questa è un'epoca su cui aleggia lo spauracchio fobico della bomba H e la certezza di un’imminente invasione russa.
A 46 anni Ragle non ha quello che comunemente può essere definito un vero lavoro.
La sua attività, infatti, con
Ajeje Brazov
Assolutamente fenomenale, Dick riesce a raccontare una storia con varie sfaccettature, realtà e fantascienza si mischiano in modo incredibile e alla fine ne esci disorientato non riuscendo più a capire dove lo scrittore voglia andare a parare.
L'inizio parte tranquillamente, come in un racconto di vita quotidiana, tra emozioni e stati d'animo, poi subentra la tensione, la suspense che tiene il lettore col cuore a 1000, come nei migliori thriller ed infine... meglio leggerlo!!!
Un capolavoro.
Ettore1207
Una storia di fantascienza scritta alla fine degli anni '50 e che si legge con piacere ancora oggi, a distanza di 60 anni, deve avere delle doti. Il libro parte in sordina narrando le vicende di una famiglia americana un po' scombinata. La prima parte è abbastanza piatta, poi, a piccole dosi, si costruisce un incubo che si fa via via più angosciante. La realtà si fa irreale, e ingannevole diventa la percezione del mondo e di se stessi. Finale splendido.
Ana
I really liked this. In typical Dick fashion, for the first 60 or 70 pages you have no idea what direction the story is going in. You get a few hints, but they don't ammount to much, maybe like repetition of some terms or incongruencies in dialogue. And then, out of nowhere, you turn the page and BAM, there's the real plot, and there's the line you're supposed to follow. Apart from one moment in the book where I really felt like the dialogue/situation was forced in order to give the story the mo ...more
amaya
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We were at the library today for some hours, and I was milling about looking for books on my 'To-Read' list; in the absence of 'The Man in the High Castle', I decided to give this one a go - and I wasn't disappointed.

Though it started a bit slowly, it picked up soon enough and then just whizzed by. It didn't take me long to finish, and it was difficult to put down.

It's difficult to summarise without giving too much away, so I'll try to keep things basic - because even the description on the bo
Roberto
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Ritorno al futuro

Chissà che sensazioni proveremmo se nella nostra vita quotidiana cominciassimo a notare strani dettagli che non quadrano, qualche comportamento anomalo, qualche discrepanza di tempo, la sensazione che le persone che ci circondano stiano in qualche modo mentendo? Se le attenzioni di nostra nostra moglie sembrassero false (ok, più del solito...), il salumiere sembrasse addomesticato, il taxista stranamente amichevole, il lattaio interessato?

Può essere la realtà un’illusione? Cosa
Cenhner Scott
No quería empezar a leer a Philip Dick leyendo el libro de Blade Runner de puro jodido que soy nomás. Así que compré este, que estuvo sus buenos meses esperando ser leído.
Esto es ciencia ficción escrita en la década del 60 (1959, en realidad), así que contextualizar ayuda un poco: fresco el recuerdo de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, el miedo a los rusos y el comunismo...
Si viste The Truman Show (y me niego a creer que hay gente que aún no vio The Truman Show), las similitudes son casi demasiadas. Y
Carmine
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Omino Verde cercasi

"Cos'è questo posto che non ricordo?"

L'opera di Dick - Weir con il suo "Truman Show" ringrazia sentitamente - sonda con innegabile efficacia l'effimera percezione sensoriale della realtà circostante, da tutti considerata inalienabile e incorruttibile.
Dick dipinge con disarmante lucidità la società americana anni '50, succube dei timori della guerra fredda nonché vittima inconsapevole di un mondo depositario del "pensiero prestabilito" - falsi ricordi, mezze verità, microversi
Darwin8u
A book that could have inspired both Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow (anticipation of anticipation of rockets) and the Truman Show (community set up around one man). While I give it points for anticipating a couple generations early the narcissism of the 21st century, the absurdity of American Exceptionalism, the shallow falseness of community on FB, etc., it was in the end just too damn slow. Most of the narrative was underwater. There was no rush. There were no prose daisies to pick as I picked th ...more
Stuart
This is one of PKD's earlier and lesser works. The protagonist discovers his mundane existence is a actually an elaborate hoax that covers up a much darker reality. Frankly, the author has explored this idea with much better results in later books, so that the book almost reads like a cheap knock-off of PKD himself, which was probably unavoidable since he wrote so many books just to pay the bills. I'd stick to his more famous works.
Jaime Nelson
Apr 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Time Out of Joint by Philip K. Dick

THE TRUMAN SHOW meets THE MATRIX

Synopsis

It’s 1959. Ragle Gum lives with his sister and her family. He’s having an affair with the woman next door. He’s the champion of the newspaper contest, “Where Will the Little Green Man be Next?” Oh yeah, and he’s going sane.

It starts with what he thinks are hallucinations—a disappearing soft drink stand, leaving nothing in its place but a piece of paper labeled SOFT DRINK STAND. But then he hears pilots talking about h
Luara
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, eua
Grazia
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"C'è l'accumulo. C'è la responsabilità. E al di là di questo, c'è il tempo inquieto. Il tempo molto inquieto (*)"

Siamo negli anni '50. Ragle Gumm è un uomo di 46 anni che vive con la sorella Margo e la di lei famiglia. Per mantenersi risolve quiz di un giornale. Anzi è l'unico risolutore all'attivo di questi improbabili indovinelli.
Vicini abbastanza ingombranti e con modo di comportarsi assai curioso fanno parte della quotidianità di Ragle

Ossessione e fallimento è quello che si respira in questo
Simon
Dec 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-masterworks, sf
Although many people say this book inspired the film "The Truman Show", Expect far more than that in this book. Ragle Gum is not merely another Truman Burbank. He is contained in a world of illusion not for the purposes of keeping others entertained, he has something dreadfully important to do, something somehow wrapped up with the daily puzzle he solves in the newspaper.

This book is about turning around the perception of the protagonist (Ragle Gum) and that of the reader again and again. Is Rag
Bob Fingerman
May 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are sci-fi curious but don't necessarily like sci-fi.
Philip K. Dick -- not nearly loved enough when he was alive (except maybe by the French) and now rightly revered for his genius -- wrote scads of books, but this title seldom makes it to his pantheon (which would include The Man in the High Castle; The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch; Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep; and Ubik, all chosen recently by Jonathan Lethem for Dick's entry in the prestigious The Library of America edition).

Maybe it's not trippy enough. Dick certainly laid on the "
Eddie Watkins
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american-fiction
There's a soft spot in my brain for this early novel by P K Dick, probably his first full treatment of ersatz reality paranoia and the mental instability capable of seeing it for what it is. It reminds me of the movie The Truman Show (which I enjoyed) but is 6 to 8 times more involving and interesting.

One great thing about the book is the lovingly detailed 1950's middle class neighborhood setting (less all the counterculture drugginess of his later books). I don't mind drugs or drugginess, but t
Jose Moa
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction, dick
This is a early novel by Dick,written in 1959 ,where already appears a deceptive reality based in condicionament of minds,the reality as the model our brain makes of the world, and the power of goverments to control this;also the thin gap between sanity and madness in the paranoic case.As many people knows there is certain link between this novel and the Trumans Show movie,also in my opinión with the tale that appears in the book Alternating Currents by Pohl tittled A túnel under the world yet w ...more
Printable Tire
Feb 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd have to rank this as one of my favorite Philip K Dick books so far- it felt like a really good episode of the Twilight Zone. Aside from centering on his most obvious theme, the illusion of a universal idea of reality, it was I think the first book to introduce the generic Philip K Dick protagonist, who is quite obviously a mirror of Philip K Dick himself- an arrogant, stubborn, down-on-his-luck proletariat with a persecution complex, someone with a bruised ego who nonetheless in a sort of Ay ...more
Denis
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most paranoid PKD story novel written to that point. It's a, 'the world is not what I think it is,' type of story. 'It's all fake; made up just for me... but why?' Very few can write paranoia like this. Had PKD been a script writer during the fifties, he would have come up with really compelling Film Noire. This story may have inspired the the Truman Show and Edtv.

Interesting was that, stylistically, it read more like a mainstream novel than scifi... Or was it the other way round?
Nick Imrie
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it
My edition of 'Time Out of Joint' has a great essay at the back by Lou Stathis. He describes Dick's difficult existence as an author: poverty-stricken, writing weird idiosyncratic books that were of interest to no publishers, and intermittently cranking out stock SF to pay the bills, dosed up to the eyeballs on amphetamines in order to produce works that he despised.
When you've read that then the structure of 'Time Out of Joint' makes a lot more sense. One of Dick's earlier works, it's essential
  • The Complete Roderick
  • Dark Benediction
  • Emphyrio
  • Greybeard
  • The Centauri Device
  • A Case of Conscience (After Such Knowledge, #4)
  • Pavane
  • Life During Wartime
  • Of Men and Monsters
  • The Dancers at the End of Time (Dancers at the End of Time, #1-3)
  • The Paradox Men
  • Venus Plus X
  • The Space Merchants (The Space Merchants, #1)
  • Divine Invasions: A Life of Philip K. Dick
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for best novel of the year in 1974 for Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. Philip K. Di ...more
More about Philip K. Dick

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“In a civil war… every side is wrong. It’s hopeless to try to untangle it. Everyone is a victim.” 24 likes
“The odd thing in this world is that an eager-beaver type, with no original ideas, who mimes those in authority above him right to the last twist of necktie and scrape of chin, always gets noticed. Gets selected. Rises.” 22 likes