Start by marking “Rain In The Doorway” as Want to Read:
Rain In The Doorway

Rain In The Doorway

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Who hasn't waited for a ride in the pouring rain and wondered if there wasn't something more to life? This is exactly how we find poor Mr. Owen, hopeless and downtrodden, wet and miserable. Suddenly, he is swept in through a doorway to a place full of wild imaginations, where loneliness and unfulfilled dreams are a thing of the past. Along with Messrs. Larkin, Britt-Britt ...more
Paperback
Published July 31st 2003 by Echo Library (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about Rain In The Doorway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rain In The Doorway

Sallie
Oct 07, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-finished
I picked this up from the lobby shelf at the Columbia Hotel in Ashland since I'd read and enjoyed his TOPPER book, but this one just didn't grab me from the beginning. Too weird and nonsensical for this kid.
Ceejay
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's another great read by Thorne Smith. The basic theme to this book is not new to Thorne Smith....a middle aged man unhappy with his life.This is a lot sexier then his Topper book, but equally funny. It was written during the depression, and it's an amazing attack on the business world.It also looks at America's view of sex at that time. I could picture this book being adapted into a screenplay for the Marx Brothers and Mae West.The illustrations were fantastic. Mr. Smith is an amazing satar ...more
Jason Liberg
It has the on-and-on-and-on-and-on-and-on-and-onness of a James Fenimore Cooper novel, the depth of Married with Children, and the linguistic skills of BBC America. It was so utterly predictable that I was forced to finish the book just to find out if it was as predictable as I believed. The accomplishment of having read the entirety of this book means that I can proclaim, "Yes, there was a time when I was actually that very, very, very, very bored."
Ian
Dec 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sort of Alice in Wonderland for Depression-era Esquire readers, about an ordinary schmo who accidentally slips through a portal into a hedonistic parallel world, where much wackiness of the sort of which Thorne Smith fans will be familiar (i.e., a lot of drinking and carefree sex) ensues.
Rosemary
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book for and about most of us. Another masterpiece of satire. I especially loved the play on the business world of that day. Theater of the absurd at its best. Genius. Wisdom and tenderness as always in this fun, quick little read.
David
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Walsh gave me this book and I've tracked down Thorne smith books ever since.
Descending Angel
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Weirdly enjoyed this quite alot. Sure the humor may not hold up, but after all it was written in the 30's and even then it did make me smile in a couple places.
William Ritch
I fun romp. At first its moral outlook seems dated, but as we get past the fun and into the true message it becomes timeless.
R.K. Cowles
Oct 31, 2014
Bill FromPA
Oct 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
James Thorne Smith, Jr. was an American writer of humorous supernatural fantasy fiction under the byline Thorne Smith. He is best known today for the two Topper novels, comic fantasy fiction involving sex, much drinking and supernatural transformations. With racy illustrations, these sold millions of copies in the 1930s and were equally popular in paperbacks of the 1950s.

Smith was born in Annapoli
More about Thorne Smith...