Start by marking “Wood: Craft, Culture, History” as Want to Read:
Wood: Craft, Culture, History

Wood: Craft, Culture, History

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  38 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
A superbly entertaining, wide-ranging investigation of wood through history, culture, art, and science

We build our houses with it, burn it for warmth, carve it for beauty, sail in it, sit on it, play with it, and fight with it—yet how much do we really understand about the history and culture of wood? In this rich and fascinating book, Harvey Green examines how wood in a
Published October 19th 2006 by Viking Adult

To ask other readers questions about Wood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wood

Adam Tramposh
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended for anyone interested in man's oft-complicated relationship w/ this natural resource. Touches cursorily on the material science, and the historical applications of wood. Appreciated the repeated calls-to-action for moderation and stewardship, though they are often heavy-handed and disrupt the otherwise considered sequencing of the book's topics.
Steven
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
I felt like much of the information provided was meant more for people who already have a gathered understanding of wood and its many distinctive elements.

When I checked this book out of a library, I had to check out another book on wood that provided more information on the grains and weight, to truly appreciate and understand the differences between the many types of wood.
Jeff
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit surprised to find the negative reviews of this book circulating on this site. It's got problems, to be sure-- the subject matter is monumental and resists easy arrangement-- but it's an amazingly thorough attempt at offering a thin overview of the topic. The author declares his intentions, and organization in the beginning, and then follows through. It's arranged by function, and within each function (shipping, fuel, etc.) it provides a good amount of cross cultural context for each ...more
Eoin
May 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
(2.5) How can you write a book about something so various? Answer: You can't. Plenty of facts, but no real depth, of course, since the topic is the cultural-historical importance of wood. Weird sectioning, low quality pictures detract, but lots of tidbits for those with the patience. Skip it.
Kim
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An astonishing history of a material.
Jeremy
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Had to read this for a class and it was boring and dry. While informative it was not presented in a manner that engaged the reader.
John
Sep 21, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm not finished but this book is well written and fits the genre of Salt, Cod and such.
Gill
Dec 04, 2008 rated it did not like it
I was looking for something like John McPhee. This is not anywhere up to that standard. Boring. Not worth reading;
Emre Bağdatoğlu
Jan 15, 2017
Johnboston
Mar 01, 2009
Ian
rated it did not like it
Jul 25, 2011