Start by marking “Dorrie and the Haunted Schoolhouse (Dorrie the Little Witch, #20)” as Want to Read:
Dorrie and the Haunted Schoolhouse (Dorrie the Little Witch, #20)

Dorrie and the Haunted Schoolhouse (Dorrie the Little Witch #20)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  164 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
“Little witch Dorrie’s first day at ghoul school does not get off to a good start, for she can’t find her lucky sock. Then, when she and her friends proceed with their first lesson, they make the whole schoolhouse fly up over Witchville. . . . Coombs’ text is great fun for adults as well as children. . . . Another winner from this popular author/illustrator.”—School Librar ...more
Published September 17th 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Dorrie and the Haunted Schoolhouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dorrie and the Haunted Schoolhouse

Brian
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
In uncharacteristic Dorrie fashion she causes the problems she has to overcome in this book. Normally the obstacles she faces are caused by adults, especially her mother, not taking the time to listen to what she has to say. In this instance Dorrie, for some reason overtaken by a desire to rush through a spell and not cooperate with some conveniently added and single facet peers, causes the entire schoolhouse to rise up into the air and start doing aerial acrobatics.

The problem in a magical soci
Heidi
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I will not talk about the plot because other people have done that.

I will just say that I think that the plot was very original and creative.

I will also say that I think that the illustrations were superb.
Lorna Victoria
A bit nonsensical in it's delivery, but I can see how very young kids would be entrances. An excellent gateway book to Mildred Hubble and Harry Potter worlds.
Lili Rucker
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It was pretty good
Erin
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this series as a kid, but don't remember reading this one--ah, it was published in '92, when I was "too old for picture books".

It's a darn shame that nobody has reprinted them--they're magical and fun, with lessons that aren't overtly lesson-y. Though, they do fall in an awkward niche between picture book, chapter book, and early reader, which might be why.
Dolly
Nov 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is the first book we've read in the Dorrie the Little Witch series by Patricia Coombs. It was a fun story and although we'd never read about the characters before, it wasn't too difficult to understand what was going on. The story shows how patience and cooperation are important when working as a team, especially when it's very important to follow the directions. We enjoyed reading this story together.

This is a very old series (one that I likely read as a child, but I can't remember), so I
Sam
Jul 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids, parents, people
Shelves: kids
Most Dorrie books are out of print, as far as i can determine. You can get some of them in flimsy paperback format, but not too many of them. If you can track down some of the original books in the series, you'll be in for a real treat. Dorrie is a great little witch who lives in a strange and spooky world that is not altogether nice. The books provide a mixture of danger and humor, with some acts of heroics on Dorrie's part to bring the story to a satisfying conclusion. The language is very eas ...more
Cheryl
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like these more, but maybe they are best suited for the target audience. And maybe the ones earlier in the series are better. I don't care for the color illustrations as much as I did the sketches in Witchville Fair, #16.
Iamaby En
-great plot and nice interaction between the kids; a little bit long so it's more appropriate for after preschool-aged kids
Jennybug
This was a story about a little witch that went to school and saved the teacher.
George
  • 11 Experiments That Failed
  • Pinduli
  • The Little Leftover Witch
  • Ghosts in the House!
  • Wonderful Alexander and the Catwings (Catwings, #3)
  • Ollie's Halloween
  • The Witch Who Was Afraid of Witches
  • Angelina's Halloween
  • The Slightly Irregular Fire Engine
  • Little Witch
  • Shadow Queen (The Binding, #1)
  • Eloise Takes a Bawth
  • The Three Golden Keys
  • Pumpkin Moonshine
  • The Vanishing Pumpkin
  • Fancy Nancy: The 100th Day of School
Patricia Coombs was born on July 23, 1926 in Los Angeles, California and during her school age years lived in Hawaii, Boston, New York, and San Francisco. She was always reading books and would hide in unusual places to avoid getting caught reading instead of playing. She attended DePauw University, Michigan State University, and received her bachelor's and master's degrees in English from the Uni ...more
More about Patricia Coombs

Dorrie the Little Witch (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Dorrie's Magic (Dorrie the Little Witch, #1)
  • Dorrie and the Blue Witch (Dorrie the Little Witch, #2)
  • Dorrie's Play (Dorrie the Little Witch, #3)
  • Dorrie and the Weather Box (Dorrie the Little Witch, #4)
  • Dorrie and the Witch Doctor (Dorrie the Little Witch, #5)
  • Dorrie and the Wizard's Spell (Dorrie the Little Witch, #6)
  • Dorrie and the Haunted House (Dorrie the Little Witch, #7)
  • Dorrie and the Birthday Eggs (Dorrie the Little Witch, #8)
  • Dorrie and the Goblin (Dorrie the Little Witch, #9)
  • Dorrie and the Fortune Teller (Dorrie the Little Witch, #10)