Start by marking “It's Not Really About the Hair: The Honest Truth About Life, Love, and the Business of Beauty” as Want to Read:

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  731 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews
Tabatha Coffey, star of the hit Bravo reality show Tabatha’s Salon Takeover, shares her compelling life story with fans, revealing not only the events that have made her so outspoken, but the personal tenets that have contributed to her success and kept her centered and thriving with each new challenge and opportunity.
Published January 25th 2011 by It Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about It's Not Really About the Hair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Not Really About the Hair

Bjorn Zangmeister
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are expecting to really find out the personal side of Tabatha, forget it - she only tells you what she is truly comfortable in sharing. The thing about this book is regardless of what industry you work in, there are pearls of wisdom to be taken from her. This a very good book in kicking yourself in the butt and getting out there doing something. Being like Tabatha and her BITCH philosophy - Bravery, Integrity, Truthful, Creative and Honest, I feel her story is inspiring.

I respect people w
Kristina
I am a huge fan of Tabatha Coffey, so when I saw her memoirs sitting on a table of summer reading picks in Barnes and Noble, I immediately snapped up a copy. Most "stars" of reality TV are completely vapid and insufferable, but Tabatha, in my mind, is different. She's a talented hairdresser, tough as nails and totally unafraid to say what she thinks. I love a woman with the skills to back up her attitude. Tabatha Takes Over on Bravo is one of my favorite guilty pleasure shows, because she has th ...more
Kimberly

Back in October one of the Goodreads groups I'm in You'll love this one...!! A book club & more had a week long non-fiction read-a-thon and this was one of my reads for the challenge. I've long been a fan of Tabatha Coffey and I actually watch her show every week. I love her attitude and her work ethic. Plus when she goes off on the stupidity of some people well she's a girl after my own heart.

When I found out that Tabatha had a book I was kind of surprised and a little nervous. I really wan
Andrea
Feb 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I don't really read a lot of non-fiction, or memoirs in general. But I am a huge fan of Tabatha since season 1 of Shear Genius, and find her to be the most genuine of reality TV stars, simply for how she communicates with her fans. My mother died three weeks ago, and when Tabatha dedicated her new book to her mom who recently passed away, I was moved. I told her I was, and she actually sent me a personal message sending her condolences. Can't say other celebrities would do the same. For this rea ...more
Mart
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
The reason why i bought this book was not because i'm a hairdresser,
or that I seek psychological help through self-help books. Nor am I interested
in how to have my own Hair Salon.

No the reason was that I think that Tabatha is hilarious, in a good way. Her Bravo TV show
'Tabatha's Takes Over' is a great show, not because the concept is that good or original but
because of the hostess Tabatha.

In this book Tabatha surely didn't let me down. Many times I laughed out loud because of her
witty writing
Lucas
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Compulsively readable, Tabatha's voice comes through loud and clear - it's almost like she is reading to you. The tone is frank, breezy, fun, direct, and inspiring. I was fascinated to learn about her childhood and how she grew up and also about her weight problem when she was younger. There's a lot of cursing here, but what else would you expect from Tabatha. We wouldn't have her any other way...
Jessica
Feb 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Even though I hardly do anything to my own hair I LOVE watching Tabatha's Salon Takeover, so I was excited to see that she had a book coming out too. It was definitely interesting to read about her life growing up and how she ended up with her own TV show. There are lots of great pictures in the book too. Overall, it was an interesting read.

Tabatha's definition of a "bitch":

Bravery
Intelligence
Tenacity
Creativity
Honesty
Carolyn Wesley
"As you discover your real self, don't be scared to show that person to the people in your life. I don't just mean the new hairdo, I mean the inner discoveries, as well. Let your thoughts, your mistakes, and your moral compass be known more completely to the people you care about. And maybe the people in your life will take their own lessons from your stories." ~Tabatha Coffey~

While I was getting ready to leave the house yesterday morning, the mailman dropped off the daily mail consisting of bil
Angélique Moreau
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: various
This is Bravo's TV Tabatha Coffey's first book, following the success of her reality-TV show Tabatha's salon takeover. But much more thanbeing simply a celebrity's memoir, this book deals with personal issues like growing up in an alternative lifestyle (her parents owned a transsexual strip-club), coming out to her surprinsigly reluctant mother or succumbing to insecurities and peer-pressure and getting plastic surgery, after years of being bullied as a child for being overweight.

We also follow
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Being a hairdresser i've always had a ton of respect for Tabatha and despite her abrasive nature i've always admired her strength and passion for the industry and have always enjoyed watching Tabatha's Salon Takeover! She always seemed to say what you were thinking but probably wouldn't ever verbalize for risk of sounding "bitchy".

I like that this book was a mix of her childhood, her upbringing, the beauty industry, and her personal struggles. It was inspirational, and although I thought I knew
Shevonne
This book is a combination of a memoir, business, and inspirational. Tabatha discusses her childhood as an obese girl taunted by her classmates while being raised in strip clubs with transgender dancers who taught her what being authentic really means. You can tell she admires her mother who showed her how to be a strong woman who stands her ground. This upbringing molded her into the person she is today.

I've loved Tabatha since Shear Genius, and I have never missed her show. She is very inspir
Jolie Pre
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I discovered this book after watching Tabatha on "Fashion Police." Her individuality and no-nonsense attitude made me want to buy her book. I'm so happy I did. Tabatha calls herself a "bitch" but in a good way. I call myself the same. I like Tabatha because she follows the beat of her own drum and not the beat of the crowd. One of my favorite quotes from the book? "Anyone who has worked with me knows that I don't suffer fools easily and that I won't hesitate to speak my mind. The irony of people ...more
Aj
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I absolutely love Tabatha! This book was a really interesting read. She covers her struggles both personal and professional from issues with her drunk father, a botched boob job and how she climbed the ladder of the hair styling industry. Sprinkled throughout the chapters are tips on how to improve your business, your self esteem and how to release your inner bitch.

Also touching on topics such as coming out, not fitting into other people's expectations and mindsets and giving tips on how to tel
Andrea
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love Tabatha, so it was fun to read this part-memoir, part-business/motivational book that blends stories about her upbringing and hair experience with tips on business and life. Raised in transgender strip clubs with drag queens as her aunties, Tabatha made a name for herself doing hair from a young age and then finally struck it big on Shear Genius and finally Tabatha Takes Over. She's independent, tenacious, and straightforward, and this books makes it easier to understand her as a person. ...more
Chade66
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: career, read-2011, work
If you don't like her straight up, in your face, take no prisoners style on her reality show, you'll hate this book. Frankly I find it refreshing and its one of the things I really like about this book.

My daughter has been very inspired by the show and it was something that lead her to take seriously the idea of being a makeup artist. So I think I'll buy this for her for Christmas (sh..don't tell her) in hopes that it will inject some practicality into her dream so she can truly be successful.

Th
Beth Ann Kinard
Feb 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"You each need your own set of balls." That was Tabatha's advice to myself, my friend and business partner shortly after opening my new salon, The Parlour in Victoria, Minnesota. She was right.
Stylist or not, this was a fascinating book of overcoming adversity, and a great reminder that no matter what chosen profession, (maybe even unchosen) people will judge no matter what. It is not education that makes one wise. It is experience and learning from your mistakes, and others if you pay attenti
Daniel
Mar 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! I highly recommend it to anyone, even if you're not a fan of the show. Tabitha explains how she has taken back the word BITCH and how you can do it in your own life as well. The books is FULL of helpful tidbits on how to live a better life and be a better person overall. I got so much out of this book and will be applying a lot of what she had to say in my own life. I don't want to ruin anything for anyone, but I truly enjoyed the end of each chapter's "summary" page on ho ...more
Saleena Davidson
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love watching Tabatha's Salon Takeover, so had to read this book when I saw it. She's just as outspoken in her book, and has led quite an interesting life.......a short fun biography on an interesting person....what more could you ask for?
Frank Harris
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: educational
I'm always suspect of things that appear ghost-written, but I found I was really reading this in Tabatha's distinctive voice. It has many interesting anecdotes, and if you like Coffey's tv show, many insights into her methods and how it developed. The "educational" parts are little iffy, though.
Randine
Nov 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Hey - she's a hairdresser, not a writer.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
So this is half memoir, half good advice. And that good advice is split between general life info, and keys to being successful. I find Tabatha Coffey to be fascinating. I first encountered her because I got obsessed with Tabatha's Salon Takeover. And then followed her to Tabatha Takes Over - and she's just a seriously smart, driven woman. She knows what she wants, and she knows it takes hard work to get there.

I counted this as a book with business advice for my 2017 reading challenge. That mig
Beth
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad

The prose is certainly not a masterpiece, but it was pleasant and interesting for something I wouldn't have gone for except as a guilty pleasure.

Just as a word of warning there is some language applied to a marginalized group that, while it probably the way the folks depicted self identified to the author at the time, is definitely a slur now.
Emily
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amusing, honest. Fun!
Lynne Fort
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I have to admit, I picked this up because I needed something light in between two heavier books (and because I love Tabatha Coffey--watching her on TV affirms that my similar personality is totally OK.)

I was so pleasantly surprised. This memoir actually gets into some pretty deep stuff about following your own moral code, finding what you love to do, and that telling the truth is sometimes more important than avoiding conflict. Highly recommended.
Lee Anne
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Tabatha Coffey rose to cable-T.V. fame as a too-soon-eliminated contestant on Bravo's Shear Genius, then as star of her own show, Tabatha's Salon Takeover, in which she visits struggling, drama-filled hair salons and whips them into shape. This slender volume, part memoir and part motivational advice, succeeds more in the former than in the latter.

Coffey's childhood was colorful, to say the least. Her parents operated transsexual strip clubs, and Tabatha spent many hours amongst the queens. The
Katy
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Tabatha Coffey is so fabulous, I can't give her too hard a time about her writing skills. And after all, she's a hairdresser/entrepreneur/takeover queen, not a writer. This book would have been painful to read had it been about anyone other than Tabatha. It's part business owner's manual, part motivational speech, and part autobiography. The most enjoyable parts are the autobiographical ones, but even they're slightly frustrating because Tabatha takes you to the brink, then simply walks away fro ...more
Elizabeth
May 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
I really like Tabatha, but this book was not well put together. The cover belies the photos on the inside and the writing is very repetitive in it's stomping around about being different. I did enjoy learning about her past, but I wish she would have included those pictures instead of the glam/ dominatrix shots which were included. Perhaps the thought was that she would lose her mystique as a dragon lady and thus her brand, but there is enough to spare that giving her a little dimension this lat ...more
Nicole Kerr
Meh...

While I'm a huge fan of her take over show, I found the book a little flat. The majority of the book was about the same stuff....growing up in a transgender club, she was fat, etc. It would have been great if she would have included some tips of her hairdressing, her fashion style, and was more in depth with the later part of her life. As a cosmologists, I would have enjoyed that. Also, the end of the book "suggestions" weren't helping at all.

That being said, since I respect her so much I
Lynetta
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
B.I.T.C.H.

We all have a story to tell and experiences worthy of classroom lecture time. Albeit many stories go unheard, unread even when broadcast. This is a story worth hearing, worth repeating and worth remembering. Tabitha Coffey unveils the story of her formative years in a way that encourages everyone to embrace their uniqueness. This is a story of acceptance, courage, persistence and love - loving who we are even when It's not a popular choice. This is a reading experience that strengthens
Noelle
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this book, partially because I love Tabitha Coffey and partially because it's just a fun read. Getting to know her inner thoughts is great. Her very honest and blunt personality really appeals to me. Obviously, it's a memoir, so you have to go into it wanting to know what she has to say and you have to just take it for what it is. For me, personally, I agree with her stance on many things so it was enjoyable, but you definitely have to have an open mind.

The only thing I disagree with is
  • Mayflower Madam: The Secret Life of Sydney Biddle Barrows
  • The Interventionist
  • The Great Penguin Rescue: 40,000 Penguins, a Devastating Oil Spill, and the Inspiring Story of the World's Largest Animal Rescue
  • Follow the Model: Miss J's Guide to Unleashing Presence, Poise, and Power
  • Part of the Pride: My Life Among the Big Cats of Africa
  • Mortal Crimes: 7 Novels of Suspense
  • The Pulpwood Queen's Tiara-Wearing, Book-Sharing Guide to Life
  • The Naked Truth: The Real Story Behind the Real Housewife of New Jersey--In Her Own Words
  • The Secret Life of Winnie Cox
  • My Lie: A True Story of False Memory
  • One Teacher in 10: LGBT Educators Share Their Stories
  • Luck or Something Like It
  • The Virgin Diaries
Tabatha Coffey is an Australian hairstylist, salon owner, and American television personality. Her participation as a contestant on the television show, Shear Genius, led to her own television show, Tabatha's Salon Takeover, which airs on the U.S. cable television network, Bravo, and on FOXTEL's pay television network, Arena in Australia.
More about Tabatha Coffey

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • No God But God: The Origins, Evolution and Future of Islam
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend
    $12.99 $1.99
“And if people have a problem with my appearance, my beliefs, or my very being, they can fuck off. Either take me how I am or forget it, because I’m going to continue to march to my own drum, whatever that may be.” 1 likes
“really not interested in taking your money so that I’ll end up with a few hundred dollars and you’ll end up with hair that’s a fried mess.” 0 likes