Start by marking “Another Important Book” as Want to Read:
Another Important Book

Another Important Book

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  191 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
In a playful voice that is uniquely Margaret Wise Brown's comes this delightful picture book about just what it means to be six, five, four, three, one, two, and "most importantly" you.

Caldecott Honor Medalist Chris Raschka's innovative illustrations burst with energy and dance along with Brown's whimsical verses of discovery.

"Energetic artwork and vivacious verse delineat
Published September 22nd 1999 by HarperCollins (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Another Important Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Important Book

Robert
I use The Important Book as a springboard for my students to write. I have been doing that for years.

Today I looked for that book on my bookshelf and could not find it. I am certain it is at home and not at school. I then thought to check the school library. The school does not have it, but it does have this book, which I never knew existed until today.

I went down and checked out the book. While the book does not really fit for the writing project I use the other book for, Another Important Book
Alison
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute book about child growth and discovery. The mirror at the end pleasantly surprised me.
Katlin Sims
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: behavior
This book highlights important things about being different ages. It starts with age one and goes all the way through age six. This book shows how children grow and important milestones that children usually reach within a certain age range. In the back of the book there is a mirror and the book ends by saying that the most important thing at any age "is that you are you." The children can look at themselves in the mirror and see how special and unique they are. The use of the mirror is a great ...more
Skylar Burris
Nov 04, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
"No!" said my daughter in response to this book's claim that "the important thing about being Four is that you are bigger than you were before." She protested adamantly. "That's not the most important thing! The most important thing is that we love everyone and love God!" Thus, reading children's books to my daughter has turned into a regular sermon. As for the book – mostly uninspiring. I don't even much care for the pictures.
Sebin
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about how being you is important! This book talks about the important things about being ages 1-6 and most importantly, being YOU! This book could also be used in terms of math for younger children who are starting to count because the numbers only go up to 6 however the illustrations will help the children point and count each picture.
Jillian Reed
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discovery, self
This is such a great book about the ages 1-6 an the different abilities each age brings. This could be read to all different types of ages. The teacher could ask the students to write about their favorite memories about each age or what age would they want to be right now if they could. So many possibilities!
Kristy
Dec 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
This book is pretty right on! I think it is an important book to little tikes. In fact, the text reminds me of things Mr. Rogers would say. My four-year-old doesn't sit for just any book, but he sat and listened to this one. It's not my favorite of hers by any means, but the previous sentence is proof my son took it seriously. Written by Margaret Wise Brown and illustrated by Chris Raschka.
Relyn
Jun 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of toddlers and preschoolers
Recommended to Relyn by: I've been reading MWB's books lately.
You know how much I love The Important BOok. I don't know if you know how much I love Chris Raschka, though. You can imagine how excited I was when I spotted this posthumously published book by Margaret Wise Brown. It's great. Really great! If you have a toddler or preschooler, run out and buy this book.
Meg
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I liked the illustrations less than those in The Important Book, and after discussing with a colleague, we think this book was published from Wise Brown's unfinished manuscripts after her death.

Still cute, still features solid writing/language. Would be fun to read with multiple young children of different ages.
Jeanette
Feb 15, 2010
Karen
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My five-year-old picked out this book from the library last week.

I'm not always a fan of Chris Raschka's artwork, but in this book it works perfectly. The text is standard Margaret Wise Brown-good, but it might have felt a bit dated and stilted if it were not for the modernizing effect of Raschka's work.

Absolutely brilliant team-up.
Susannah Goldstein
I really love how this book featured the exciting developments of each age, and the beautiful illustrations by Raschka really brought the narrative to life. For some reason, though, I couldn't get into the rhythm of the narrative, so the book felt off to me.
Josiah
Jun 25, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like the way that this book honestly and affectionately shows kids of each age just how special it is to be that age, without adding or subtracting one single year. Margaret Wise Brown has a way with words even when they are spare, and her touch to this book brings the story much warmth.
Julie Graham 47150
My first graders love this book! They think it is wildly funny and they all want to share what they did when they were each of these ages. They especially love the last page and can't wait for their turn to look in the mirror!
Samantha
A picture book that celebrates the abilities children have from ages 1-6. Each year, a child acquires more skills and each is celebrated in rhyming text and watercolor artwork. This is an active read aloud for toddlers and preschoolers that features text that encourages movement.
Vj
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Great book to read with a young child. I think it would resonate especially well with a very active young boy I once knew. He would have had to act out everything to show me that he too could do all those things.
Lauren Brown
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
A simple and cute book with rhyming texts that goes through the development of ages one through six. The text is a little more developed than what a young child can read, but an earlier reader will be able to read it easily.
Angelica
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Very cute book. Loved the surprise at the end. When I read it to my 4 year old the first time, he really wanted to know what happens at 5 and 6.
Maureen
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mimi
A really cute rhyming picture book about a child growing from one to six, and something great about each age. "The important thing about being One is that life has just begun." etc.
Barnak
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Neel liked it because it had a mirror. Deep liked it because the topic was really good.
Victoria Clay
This cute little book talks about the important things about a person as they grwo up. It is a great book for read-aloud.
Anaeka
This book is memorable as A learnt to laugh, cry, cough and many more action words. She would ' perform' these actions on cue as I read the book. It is a tad long for a 15 month old though.
Rebecca
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-want-to-own
Gorgeous illustrations, terrific story, excellent surprise format.
Mary Raccuia
A rhyming read out loud about bring one ,two,three four,five and six years old. Great for pre-schools.
Dana Pressnell
Simple text about ages 1 to 6. Good for simple summarizing.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
A tribute to growing children that showcases the special things about being One, Two, Three, Four, Five, and Six years old. Fun illustrations.
Emma
May 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-2015
Not as cute as the first one.
Pauline
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I really like the idea of this book as a mentor text for young readers and writers...it is so focused on individuality!
Daena Gibbons
This book inspired us to write Ashton's Birthday book!
Shayla Drumm
  • The Mommy Book
  • Dreaming Up: A Celebration of Building
  • Baby Brains: The Smartest Baby in the Whole World
  • Carmine: A Little More Red
Margaret Wise Brown wrote hundreds of books and stories during her life, but she is best known for Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. Even though she died nearly 60 years ago, her books still sell very well.

Margaret loved animals. Most of her books have animals as characters in the story. She liked to write books that had a rhythm to them. Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or p
More about Margaret Wise Brown...