Start by marking “Guarding Suzannah (Serve and Protect, #1)” as Want to Read:
Guarding Suzannah (Serve and Protect, #1)

Guarding Suzannah (Serve and Protect #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  1,702 Ratings  ·  171 Reviews
Criminal defense attorney Suzannah Phelps is the bane of the Fredericton Police Department (they call her She-Rex for her habit of shredding cops in the witness box). She is currently being stalked, but is reluctant to report it to the police, whom she half suspects of being the perpetrators of the low-level harassment.

Detective John (Quigg) Quigley has always had a bit of
Published August 14th 2010 by Norah Wilson

To ask other readers questions about Guarding Suzannah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guarding Suzannah

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of sweet romantic suspense and sexy stories.
Recommended to UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish by: I saw it mentioned somewhere.

For a limited time this book is free on Smashwords. I really enjoyed this story and recommend you check it out! Use coupon code: VX22S

My thanks to Amy for posting a link to Rock*It Reads Free Books

Guarding Suzannah is a fun, sexy, romantic suspense novel, and my first taste of Norah Wilson’s writing. I enjoyed her easy, comfortable way of storytelling, and the voice she gives to her characters, making them believable, quirky people I couldn't help
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A very sweet and unique love story about a wealthy attorney who's afraid to let herself be vulnerable and a hard-boiled cop who's determined to protect her.

I really enjoyed this story. For one, the setting is different. New Brunswick, Canada? The differences between the U.S. legal system and the Canadian system was interesting to me, adding a bit of flavor to the story. I could tell the author knew her stuff. The detail she included is the kind that makes a story — and the characters in it — fee
Jun 06, 2011 rated it liked it
[~Ami~]♥Sexy Dexy♥
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 stars

This was a good read for me (meaning nothing happened that annoyed me). I had no idea who the stalker was until the end and I found the plot was at a good pace.

I have two tiny complaints. The first is that the heroine was a bit uptight. I would have liked a bit more depth to her as to why she was this way. The second was the scene before the epilogue I felt didn't fit in with the romance. Otherwise I enjoyed it.
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on The Book Nympho

Suzannah Phelps is a formidable defense attorney, renowned for shredding the prosecution's cases. When she starts receiving frightening messages and evidence of a stalker, Detective John Quigley makes it his personal mission to provide protection as she's reluctant to rely on the cops who've been on the witness stand in front of her in court. That includes him moving in and "appearing" to be her lover.

I really enjoyed this story even though it had some issues
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guarding Suzannah by Norah Wilson is the 1st book in her To Serve and Protect Series. Suzannah Phelps is the beautiful and brilliant criminal defense attorney nicknamed the "Ice Princess" and "She-Rex" because of her ability to shred cops in witness stands. Her success rate at the courts comes with a price that sometimes leaves a feeling of discontentment deep within her rather than one of elation. Rich, sophisticated and the daughter of a judge who comes from a long line of judges, Suzannah is ...more
The first book in the Serve and Protect series by Norah Wilson. A wonderful romantic suspense in my most humble opinion. I read the second book,Saving Grace, in this series first. But it didn't harm the story in any way other than the fact I knew their story was next. This story is set in Canada and we get a glimpse into the Canadian judicial system. Suzannah Phelps is an attorney called Ice Princess, not affectionately, by the police. She has a bit of a problem in the form of a stalker. For obv ...more
Kristin Anders
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
How are the sex scenes?
Loved them for a reason I can't even tell you because it would be a spoiler. The first one if my favorite. Read it and you'll understand.

How are the storylines?
Liked those too. There's one main plot and all the focus is on the hero and heroine.

I have an author crush on Norah Wilson and will talk about it to anyone who will listen.

Four days ago I purchased Guarding Suzannah and have since finished the Serve and Protect series.

I really, really like this book.

Having been a
I couldn't connect with the book, not the writing, not the characters. I never found anything special in the heroine, I actually got annoyed with her, the hero too was just okay. He is a police officer, she is a hotshot defence attorney and they play for opposite teams, plus she comes from class and money while he is all average. She is being stalked but doesn't want to report it since cops don't look too favourably on her. I actually found the heroine snobbish and being a dog lover didn't like ...more
SamJ ★Needs a HEA★
This was a great 4 star read.

I adored our Hero Det. John Quigley . He was just such a regular guy, which was so refreshing. He had no tragic past, no dead spouse, no ptsd, no hidden dungeon, he did not break out whips and chains, or grow fur in the moonlight.

The heroine Suzannah Phelps, was a touch one dimensional, I just wanted more depth to her and some background as to why she was as she was, we only really got hints.

But, overall, it was a great 4 star read. Engaging story that kept my inte
This was surprisingly good! I shouldn't have been so surprised, a friend here at goodreads recommended it. This was fun, yet suspenseful too. The hero and heroine were immensely likable! I loved how their relationship evolved I really liked their interactions. And I got to know the secondary characters just enough to make me want to just right into the next book!
Mar 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was good for the first half, then it really picked up in the second half. John is a great hero. He is a man's man, but not too domineering. He just wants to see Suzannah safe. He is a perfect gentleman until she shows him she's interested in more, and he's gentle with her feelings and insecurities. The mystery of the stalker really was a mystery. It was so well written that I had no idea until the villain was revealed. There were a few typos here and there, but not ...more
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ A review copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

Suzannah Phelps is really good at her job. As a criminal defense attorney she has earned the nickname She-Rex for her ability to tear up a cop’s testimony on the stand. When she’s being stalked she half expects it to be the work of a law enforcement officer, so she doesn’t report it. Detective John Quigley figures out about Suzannah’s stalker and takes her to task about not reporting it. Then as the stalker escalates he g
Redheads Review it Better
Suzannah is know by cops as She-Rex for her harsh questioning on the stand, is reluctant to report someone who is stalking her. Feeling that it would make her lose respect from the officers, she successfully keeps it to herself until John Quigley (Quigg to everyone) somehow figures it out and confronts her. After lots of arguing over her safety, Quigg convinces her to let him watch her back since she isn't too concerned about herself if she wasn't going to the police. So people won't ask a milli ...more
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Guarding Suzannah was a great story with enough character development and mystery to keep a reader wanting more. Quigg is an exciting alpha bent on ensuring Suzannah is safe without discounting the normally less obvious reasons why she could be in danger. I found myself thoroughly enjoying this read and appreciating the characters independently of their involvement with eachother. The writing is engaging, clear, and easy to follow. I will definitely be reading more from this author.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.25; 3 stars; B

This was a good book by a 'new to me' author. I enjoyed the two main characters and, of course, the homely mutt, Bandicoot.

One thing I really enjoyed about this book was the fact that the story took place in Canada. Subtle differences in the legal system (from the more commonly used American system) just made it feel that much more real to me.

I'm looking forward to reading more from this author.
M.J. Fredrick
Sep 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG, how I loved Quig! I didn't want this book to end. He was so sexy, the rumpled cop who nonetheless knew what he wanted, and fell for the Ice Princess who was Suzannah. I totally pictured him as Mark Ruffalo. A great, suspenseful read. I never would have guessed who done it!
Duchess Nicole
Mar 18, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: e-pcs
Free on Smashword for a limited time! Use code VX22S

Thanks to Dhes for the heads up :D
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
I really liked that the setting was Fredericton, New Brunswick and that all the police and lawyery stuff was Canadian, but the actual story was meh and cliched.
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
Didn't care for the heroine at all. Hero was a little bland. Lots of grammatical and punctuation errors. At best, a 2 star read.
Wendy Marcus
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. Great, realistic dialogue. Fast-paced. Good suspense. A very nice, believable romance.
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: country-canada
Slow start, but quick finish. I almost didn't finish it because at first, it was boring. But it quickly picked up and the ending was satisfying. I definitely didn't see the ending coming though. Ms. Wilson wrote it well, and I didn't even suspect.

I might try another book by this author.
Anna Richland
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes romantic suspense, laywer heroines, rescue dogs or slightly older characters
Shelves: fun, romance
I discovered a new-to-me author! I bought the "Last Hero Standing" Box Set because of Pamela Clare, but this book was a wonderful find.

Like many others, I liked the setting of Fredericton (somewhere far east of the part of Canada Mr. Richland called home). The setting felt different from the U.S. b/c the author used specific terms for the legal system and for the heroine's work, French character names and police titles like "constable" that we don't use in the U.S., but luckily no one descended
May 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Entretenido, interesante y romántico.
Por ponerle dos pegas, quizás las razones para que los protagonistas pasen todo el tiempo juntos han sido un poco vagas, y el final también ha podido estar mejor…(view spoiler)
Pero aparte de esto me ha gustado, incluso más que el siguiente en la serie que me pareció muy flojo.
La historia es interesante y he conectado con los personajes desde el principio. He entendido porq
Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-2011
As I’ve found with most genres, different people have different opinions about what it takes to fit into a particular category. Some believe any romance with a touch of suspense is enough, while other people think the suspense portion of a romantic suspense should get as much attention in a story as the romance portion, close to a fifty-fifty split like I found in "Guarding Suzannah." A reader who would never read a romance novel, but would read a suspense novel that has a romance as a major sub ...more
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Was I surprised! Never judge a book by its cover. I thought this was going to be a chick romance thriller that would be an easy read that I would enjoy. Not only did I enjoy it I couldn’t put it down and was totally engaged in it. Sure there was romance in it but the mystery/suspense part kept my attention and had me guessing. The suspense and development of the characters were great . The Ice Princess lawyer was described so well you felt you were in her closet with her and her shoes and you co ...more
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this series out of order. I read Needing Nita (Serve and Protect, #3.5) by Norah Wilsonfirst because it was free on Amazon. By reading a later book first and going back to an earlier book I can see the author's writing growth.

I enjoyed this book but not as much as I enjoyed Needing Nita. I did like the two main characters Suzannah and John Quigley. I also enjoyed learning about New Brunswick, Canada and its judicial system. It is refreshing and sexy to have a romance between a defense attorney and a crimminal detective. Yummy!

I totally love
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-kindle
Should be subtitled: Just How Many Stalkers Does One Girl Need?

I really enjoyed this book and am glad it was suggested for me at the JD Robb group. It was sexy and engaging and had a nice little mystery/suspense theme. The main characters were complex and three dimensional and the suspense was good. Oh yes, and the sex/passion was great!

However, when the good, the bad, and the inept are all stalking the heroine, you have to wonder! LOL!!
Luisa Rivas
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read the second book in the series first, liked the author, and looked up the first book of the series. Now, even thou I liked Grace and Ray's story better, I liked Quigg better than Ray. Quigg was more real, your very nice next-door neighbor who happens to be a good cop. I loved his patience and perseverance with Suzanne and I got her reticence, due to her bringing up. They made a very sweet couple.
Mar 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Laura by: Pamela Clare
I really liked this one! I'm glad that I decided to read it, I really enjoyed the characters Suzannah had the perfect blend of vulnerability and strength, and John (Quig) was just perfect for her. The characters had strong personalities, and I most definitely didn't see the ending. I guessed the perp, but how the perp is discovered, I definitely didn't see coming. Wonderful read.
  • Edge of Survival
  • Absolution (Suspense Series, #5)
  • Avenging Angel
  • Sweet Revenge (New Orleans Trilogy, #2)
  • If You Hear Her (The Ash Trilogy, #1)
  • Dangerous Kisses
  • A Just Deception (Private Protectors, #3)
  • Hide from Evil (Dead Wrong, #2)
  • Taken to the Edge (The Guardian Angelinos, #0.5)
  • Deadly Obsession
  • Intimate Enemies (Covert Affairs, #1)
  • Grace Under Pressure
  • Pursuit
  • Dangerous Race (Adrenaline Highs, #1)
  • Hot Zone (Elite Force #2)
  • Skin Deep (I-Team, #5.5)
  • Into the Crossfire (Protectors, #1)
A USA Today bestselling author of contemporary romance, romantic suspense and paranormal romance, Norah lives in Fredericton, New Brunswick, with her husband, two adult children, two dogs (Ruby and Neva) and two cats (Ruckus and Milo).

Norah is a three-time finalist in the Romance Writers of America's Golden Heart contest. In 2003, she won Dorchester Publishing's New Voice in Romance contest.

In ad
More about Norah Wilson...

Serve and Protect (3 books)
  • Saving Grace (Serve and Protect, #2)
  • Protecting Paige (Serve and Protect, #3)

Romance Deals

• Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick #2)
    $4.99 $2
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Bailey (Ace Security #3)
  • The Girl in Times Square: A Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Return to Homecoming Ranch (Pine River Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up Book 1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • The Third Wish: A Novella
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Promises (Broken #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • From Sand and Ash
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
  • The Devil's Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Bearly in Control (Shifters Undercover, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
  • Sheltering Rain
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Judgment (Cassidy & Spenser, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Breathless
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Accidentally on Purpose (Heartbreaker Bay, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • She Can Scream (She Can Series, Book 3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“The look he shot her was incredulous in the extreme. "You have a filing system for your shoes?” 9 likes
“Okay, but would you say between us we have the combined IQ of at least a garden slug?” 2 likes