Start by marking “When the Well Runs Dry: Prayer Beyond the Beginnings” as Want to Read:
When the Well Runs Dry: Prayer Beyond the Beginnings

When the Well Runs Dry: Prayer Beyond the Beginnings

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  189 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
For twenty years When the Well Runs Dry has been a source of wisdom and guidance for people serious about prayer. Now a revised edition makes Thomas Green's classic work available to a new generation seeking guidance in prayer beyond the beginnings.
Published January 1st 1998 by Ave Maria Press (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about When the Well Runs Dry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Well Runs Dry

Sep 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Nice view of the prayer life. It is always strange to read the catholic "prayer guru's". Very often it just seems like warmed over buddhism (statments about destroying the will abound). Other times it seemed very tender and sweet. The common thread that I see in all of this type of literature is the belief that prayer is the one necessary step to the process of Christian maturity. This seems silly and one sided to me. There are so many important parts to becoming a mature Christian such as the B ...more
Oct 18, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
even though i am still reading this book, i really like it! it's basically teresa of avila and st. john of the cross for dummies. he talks about prayer in a way that makes sense of how i am praying these days. more to come as i keep reading...

ok, i've now finished the book. i would recommend it to anyone who finds himself or herself in a "dark night of the soul," the wilderness, dryness, any imagery that is stark, barren, bad. i appreciated that he articulated things i felt and made me feel less
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I have read on contemplative prayer. The author clearly writes from experience; his own and groups he has led. He combines and explains the meanings from some of the masters of contemplative prayer such as St. John of the Cross and the Cloud of Unknowing in a way I have not read elsewhere. Even if you have read the works of St. John of the Cross, The Cloud of Unknowing, St. Teresa, etc this book will place all those writings in perspective and understandable. So if ...more
P.S. Winn
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although I am not much for organized religion, I do believe in the power of prayer. This book gives guidance into finding hope and using prayer to get through when life feels unbearable.
Jeremy Rios
Nov 30, 2012 rated it liked it
A good book on spiritual dryness with some really insightful moments (especially those drawn from Teresa of Avila). Green is an easygoing author (and individual--I've had the pleasure of meeting him), and that makes his prose readable and not too dry. However, I was troubled by his belief that, in the end, spiritual dryness is actually the order of the day for the Christian life. That felt a little too much like throwing in the towel on the complexity of the soul. 3.5 stars.
Arthur Sumual
Oct 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
fantastic book, it goes deeper than I originally thought. it answers my very question about spiritual dryness on why it is necessary to experience it. before reading the heavy stuff on the subject of prayer and prayer life such as "dark night of the soul" by St. John of Cross, or "way to perfection" by St. Theress Avila, I recommend reading this book.

surely i'll read this book again in the future.
Colette Hinton
Unfortunately, whilst reading this book we did major renovations in our house and it has been mislaid. I cannot therefore say I have finished it, but I will read it again once I have been able to locate it.
Jul 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone serious about prayer
Recommended to booklady by: Mommy Beverly
A wonderful book on prayer weaving together the Carmelite and Jesuit traditions with insights from the author's own experiences. A good reference book to keep on hand.
John English
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seems good. Will help in the spiritual life.
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very good book on prayer that uses the analogy of floating.
Aug 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Music of Silence: A Sacred Journey Through the Hours of the Day
  • The One Thing Is Three: How the Most Holy Trinity Explains Everything
  • The Fathers
  • Poustinia: Encountering God in Silence, Solitude and Prayer (Madonna House Classics Vol.1)
  • The Old Testament (Great Courses, #653)
  • In the School of the Holy Spirit
  • Uniformity with God's Will
  • The Seven Mountains of Thomas Merton
  • Theology of His Body/Theology of Her Body: Discovering the Strength & Mission of Masculinity/Discovering the Beauty and Mystery of Femininity
  • Teresa of Ávila: An Extraordinary Life