Start by marking “Green Boy” as Want to Read:
Green Boy

Green Boy

3.22  ·  Rating details ·  211 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
On their idyllic Bahamian island, Trey's little brother, Lou, is different -- he doesn't speak and he suffers frightening seizures. But when he and Trey find themselves mysteriously transported to Pangaia, an alternative universe where pollution and over-development have all but destroyed nature, a militant underground environmental group greets him as the prophesied hero ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published March 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Green Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green Boy

Robert
Jun 22, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
What makes a high fantasy realm appear real? Myth, legend, traditions and history. These may not be the whole story but they make a huge difference. Take Earthsea and Middle Earth; I've never come across a complaint that these places don't seem real, despite magic, dragons and kings who come from obscurity into their inheritances. Both have songs, poems, languages and history that merges into myth and legend...just like our world.

THIS REVIEW HAS BEEN CURTAILED IN PROTEST AT GOODREADS' CENSORSHI
Ellen
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a good book! I am so bad at these reviews...a young boy and his autism-spectrum brother live in the Bahamas. A big company wants to come develop one of the islands. By some magic the boys get transported to another world--a post-apocolyptic world where everything is awful and the autistic brother is very important. It was really fun and nicely written--like all of Cooper's books:-)
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Very weird. yes, very.
Lisa Houlihan
I don't think Cooper succeeded in combining the two threads of her story, and I was amused by the star thing because I thought while reading Dark Is Rising that the belt buckles, all being findable within a reasonable daily radius of a child on his feet, was the weakest element of that story. But it was amusing to read it following Amy Plum's After the End and Lauren Groff's Arcadia, and it's an important story for kids to read. Also I don't think I've read a book set in the Bahamas since Alvin' ...more
Danny
Apr 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
Full Book Review January 17th:
After trying to finish this excuse for a novel, I had given up because this book was just to atrocious to even finish. During some boring parts of the book, I said to my self "It can only get better from here." But I was wrong, somehow the book got even worse. The author somehow managed to screw up the only interesting part of the book which is when Trey and Lou go to the alternate dimension. The second time around we had absolutely no plot development. To experienc
R
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
It feels weird giving this book two stars because it's certainly not a hard read. I rarely found myself counting how many pages I had to go and I never felt a strong urge to not finish it. However, at the same time, I'm not sure what the point of this book is.

There are really two main plots in this book and we'll talk about plot one, the one in our world, first. Trey, the main character, lives in the Bahamas and an "evil" corporation wants to make a resort there. It's a story we've all heard 100
Connor King
Nov 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
Green Boy is one of my least favorite books ever, I hate this book, I really do. The story is there are these two brothers, Trey and lou, one day they are transported to an alternate dystopian world called Pangaia, where most of nature is gone. They are eventually met with a resistance that mainly consists of hippies and environmentalists that say that the two brothers are prophesied as heroes to save their world, gee, that’s never been done before. So they are sent on an “epic” adventure to sav ...more
Ms. P
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Susan Cooper put a fresh spin on the 'treasure nature' theme. I enjoyed the Bahamas setting, learning about the natural world through the eyes of 12-year-old Trey and his 7-year-old brother Lou. The parallel universe of Pangaia was a bit awkward, though, especially how the boys magically passed from one world to the other so effortlessly. The ending's outcome was predictable, although not exactly how it happened. Readers of Carl Hiaasen (Hoot, Flush) will enjoy this book.
Elizabeth
Mar 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
Candy Wood
While this is a predictable children's book in some ways--Nature defeats the evil developers with the help of children, and the speechless boy finally talks--there are interesting touches as well. We assume that the 12-year-old narrator is a boy (7-year-old Lou is the green boy of the title), but Cooper never actually specifies the gender, and while Trey is usually a boy's name, it wouldn't have to be. The edition I read had no pictures, so I had to keep reminding myself that Trey and Lou and th ...more
Victoria
Mar 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fiction
Susan Cooper's book is a great way to introduce young readers to both multiculturalism and environmental protection in literature. The book is about two young boys named Trey and Lou living in the Bahamas with their grandparents, but Lou is mute and suffers seizures. During an outing, they stumble into a parallel world where pollution and construction have all but destroyed nature, and Lou is said to be the prophesied hero of their world. An overall easy read, but the book felt like an environme ...more
Faith
Nov 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Trey and Lou live on an island. One day some foreign men decide to turn the peaceful bay into a hotel. If they do this it will destroy all the wildlife's homes including Lou's favorite bird, the osprey, a fish hawk. The boys were out on the bay when suddenly, they were no longer in their world. The other world is called Pangaia.

Reasons I like this book-

Reason 1- I was fascinated by the description of the other world's
'wilderness". The wilderness had animal mutants that the government created.

Re
Wordwizard
Jul 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Another meant-to-read-for-ages book.

Good. Environmental message a bit heavy-handed, but not for its intended audience. I like how Cooper writes dreamlike ideas or transitions. Robin McKinley is good at that too (Rose Daughter, Spindle's End).

Also of note: I don't think the narrator's gender is ever revealed. This is actually explicitly pointed out fairly early on, when one of the French people designing the new development asks "Est-ce qu'un petit garcon ou une petite fille?" ("Is it a little bo
Jeffrey Olivares
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
(view spoiler) ...more
JM
Two brothers slip from their idyllic island life into a disturbing urban world, oppressive and frightening, where the younger, mute Lou, is heralded as a savior by a band of underground rebels.

This isn't as good as The Dark is Rising, but I did love the two central characters. And it was kind of a cool use of the Green Man mythology.

The way Cooper wrote the betrayal reminded me of Victor Kelleher, for some reason.
Neill Smith
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Trey and his speechless younger brother, Lou, are Bahamian boys who live with their grandparents near Long Pond Cay on Lucaya. When developers try to turn the Cay into a big resort the boy’s grandfather actively works against them. The boys, on a trip to Long Pond Cay, are drawn into an alternate world which is trying to recover from a series of ecological disasters – and Lou is their promised saviour, Lugh
Virginia Brace
Oct 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: junior-fiction
Trey and Lou are brothers who live in the Bahamas. Lou doesn't speak so Trey spends a lot of time with him and learns how to communicate without words. They are disturbed when they learn that developers will be destroying the cay they love so much and they see only trouble from the changes coming to their island. One day they cross over into a new world called Pangaia where Lou is considered a savior and can communicate with many of the mutant species.
Beth Meyers
Jul 25, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate to say it (I really do) but I was pretty disappointed. Cooper just had too much of an agenda (a really, really transparent/naked/really obvious agenda) with this. So, I did what I never do with books: skimmed the middle for the interesting bits (and there WAS a really great climax moment) and then read the end because I just couldn't stand plowing through the whole thing.
Maureen E
I described this to a co-worker as a multicultural environmental fantasy set in the Bahamas. Which is a fairly accurate description, but doesn’t capture the wonderful oddness of this. Cooper is familiar with the Bahamas which helps to ground the story and to keep it from feeling exploitative.
Anne Barwell
Feb 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Not as good as the author's Dark is Rising series or King of Shadows but still a good read with interesting characters and ideas. The last line describing when Lou finally speaks is just wonderfully descriptive and ties it all together.
Cynthia Egbert
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library
This will go down as my least favourite offering by Ms. Cooper. It is a decent story but it relies too hard on political themes and the characters are not strong, a talent that I have come to expect from her. But I did come away with a beautiful ah-hah that will one day be a blog post!
Andria
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting twist on the end of the world story story, the environment controlling everything/rectifying everything in the end not the government. This was definitely different than anything else that has been written in this genre.
Robert
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Middle school- lower high school. I really enjoyed reading this book because it demonstrates conflict between civilization and nature. Besides the theme, the story is well written slippling between the "real" world and fantasy.
Anne
Jun 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I've loved many of Susan Cooper's books, but this one didn't quite measure up. She's a great writer, but this was a little heavy on the environmental dogma.
Damian
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought that green boy was a very good book because it is discriptive and it has good action seens in the book. I would recomend this book for anyone.
Serina
Sep 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
two black island boys try to save another world. So close to awesome. Environmental ones will enjoy the read. But not a lot of convo so just long narative of what's going on.
Bob Rust
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Green Boy (2002) which incorporates an sf-like Dystopian Alternate History.
Shonna Froebel
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
As usual, good story
Audrey
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: green-shelfie
I, liked it. Although I read on the way to a city below Mount Shasta. The whole book. The whole way. I loved it.
Marilyn
I liked the Green Man mythology being added in. Definitely a warning on how we treat the environment and a glimpse of what could happen. Nicely done.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Deadly Waters (Mysteries in Our National Park, #4)
  • Daughter of the Sea
  • Merlin and the Dragons
  • Hole in the Sky
  • Haunted Waters
  • Following Gandalf: Epic Battles and Moral Victory in the Lord of the Rings
  • The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood
  • The Bell, the Book, and the Spellbinder (Johnny Dixon, #11)
  • The Gorgon in the Gully
  • The White Horse Trick (New Policeman, #3)
  • Freddy's Book
  • Persephone
  • The Tale of the Firebird
  • The Revenge of the Wizard's Ghost (Johnny Dixon, #4)
  • The Rock of Ivanore (Celestine Chronicles, #1)
  • Mr. Bliss
  • The Goblin Gate (Goblin Wood, #2)
Susan Cooper's latest book is the YA novel "Ghost Hawk" (2013)

Susan Cooper was born in 1935, and grew up in England's Buckinghamshire, an area that was green countryside then but has since become part of Greater London. As a child, she loved to read, as did her younger brother, who also became a writer. After attending Oxford, where she became the first woman to ever edit that university's newspap
More about Susan Cooper...