Start by marking “Gossie” as Want to Read:
Gossie

Gossie (Gossie and Friends)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  2,885 Ratings  ·  141 Reviews
Meet Gossie, a small yellow gosling who loves to wear bright red boots—every day. One morning Gossie can’t find her beloved boots. She looks everywhere for them: under the bed, over the wall, even in the barn. Preschoolers will enjoy helping Gossie find her red boots and delight in where Gossie finally finds them.
Published August 26th 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Gossie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gossie

J Marsano
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Could be a primer on board books

This is the original in a series of "Gossie" books by Olivier Dunrea that follow the adventures of a small yellow gosling who likes to wear bright red boots everyday. The action begins when our hero has lost her bright red boots. Where could they be? The simple text structure builds on Gossie's search

The illustrations are simple and bold, and the text structure is simple. This allows a pre- or sub- verbal infant/toddler to follow along, making predictions and fill
SaraLaLa
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, to-buy
I don't know why, but I just LOVE this book.

Gossie is a gosling that likes to wear bright red boots every day. She wears it all the time. One day, she wakes up and her boots are gone. She goes on a hunt to find them. When she does find them, she has to make a tough decision.

I like the flow of the story, the pictures, and the lesson it teaches. It includes rhyme, opposites, and even a picture of a turtle (who doesn't like turtles?!?) I have skimmed some of the other books from the series, but I
Tiff
Oct 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids ages 2 - 5 and their parents
I *love* all of these stories by Dunrea. When I have kids of my own these will definitely be some of the first I read to them!
Kathy
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Cute little board book that makes a great read aloud. My daughter loved it.
KidsBooksWorthReading
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
They can be tough to find, but there are some great boardbooks out there. These are a part of a series that started with the book Gossie. They are short, adorable stories about goslings. The illustration details are darling. The stories are simple and repeat a bit, they would be perfect for new readers as well as little babes! We also had to share BooBoo, it's our favorite. She likes to eat from morning till night. So dang cute. #kidsbooks #kidsbooksworthreading #childrensbooks #kidlit #boardboo ...more
Alison
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Gossie These are some of my favorite board books. My nieces loved them when they were younger. The stories are simple but fun, and the characters are so cute.
David
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Gossie by Olivier Dunrea is an early entry in the Gossie and Gertie books. Gossie is "a small, yellow gosling who likes to wear bright red boots. Every day." Gossie wears them when she eats, sleeps, rides, hides, and walks. One morning Gossie can't find her red boots, so she looks under the bed, over the wall, in the barn, and under the hens. Gossie is heartbroken that she can't find them. Until she sees them walking on her friend's feet!

The text is short with simple words and lots of repetition
Jennifer Lavonier
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gossie is a perfect picture book.

A picture book’s strength lies in the marriage of text and illustrations. Often this means that you learn something from the art that isn’t stated in the words. The full story is only appreciated when you view the book as a whole. In Gossie, the bright, uncluttered, utterly pleasing art is a direct interpretation of the brief and straightforward text. But viewing them separately would deprive you of the pure joy that springs from the pages. Simply reading, “She
July
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to July by: professor
Shelves: school-reading
I read this little tiny book in one of my English courses at university. The course is called "Interpersonal and Classroom Discourse" and aims to prepare us (we're all becoming Primary School teachers) for teaching children stories to German primary school pupils. German kids learn English from grade 3 on (primary school is 4 years) and they don't speek a single word English at that time.
So you have to teach them English while reading very easy stories to them - for example "Gossie".

I think it'
Libby
Jun 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I thought the style of pictures was very cute. I also liked that there was very little writing on each page, so as not to get too boring for the short attention span of young minds. Although, the whole book was apparently too long for my son, as he has yet to find out the end. I like that even though it's clear how much Gossie loves her red boots, she is still willing to share them in the end. However, the book doesn't come right out and say "Gossie shares her boots. Good for her. You should too ...more
Tawnie
Feb 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Gossie is a bright yellow gosling who loves her red boots. She wears them everyday, doing everything, until one day they go missing. She searches everywhere for them and eventually finds them on someone else’s feet. The bright primary colored illustrations are done in a vignette style, with lots of white space on the edges, but that does not stop the simple cartoon styled ink and watercolor paintings from being full of small details. The story is expressed in short and simple sentences that easi ...more
Kristin Hamrock
Very cute book that is great for young readers. About Gossie, who absolutely adores her red boots and wears them everywhere. One day she can't find her red boots, and searches for them everywhere until she finds them on her friend's feet! They come to share the boots, making this story a great one to read to very young children based on the lesson of sharing. The words are simple and the book is smaller, so younger readers can hold it. My pre-k kids loved "reading" it because they could hold it ...more
Bethany Sutherland
Gossie is a book about a gosling who loves to wear red boots. She wears them everywhere: riding, climbing, walking, anywhere she goes she is always wearing them. One day, she could not find them and looked everywhere but no luck. Then, she spotted them, but they were walking. Gertie had them on and so they then shared the boots.

I liked this book because it show the personality of the author put into animals. It actually made me think of little girls.

I would put this book in my classroom library.
Derek
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
It is, frankly, about the least interesting book I've read.

But my son is at just the age where the story is simple enough for him to not just follow but to remember and to empathize with. (And the 'empathize' thing is a new developmental milestone that has us jumping for joy, crying, "He's NOT a sociopath after all!")

He reads the story with me, his face betraying the emotional roller coaster ride of Gossie enjoying her bright red boots, becoming heartbroken over their loss, and rejoicing at thei
Tyrone Hardy
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math-to-literacy
This book was about a little duck who woke up one day and couldn't find her bright red boots. The book is actually part of a series, and it was fun to read the other books that go along with it. The book could be used to introduce the very simple concept of subtraction. The duck has 2 red books, and then none, and then 1 of 2. The book was colorful and entertaining. It is best suited for pre-k and below.
Katie
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
With cute pictures, spare text, and adorable story (about a gosling who loves and loses and finds and shares her red boots), this book would be *perfect* for library storytime, except that it is so little! When I bemoaned its petite size to a mentor librarian, she suggested telling the story with props, like flannel board or puppets. Which is a brilliant idea, and the next chance I get to be crafty, I am determined to make a set of Gossie puppets.
Magila
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5

I wanted to love this book, but I found it wanting. It wasn't just that the book was simple, because I happen to love numerous simple picture books. There was something so disappointing about it, as if the cuteness of Gossie was supposed to make up for the relative bleh of the story. Well, Gossie was cute, but cute picture book characters are a dime a dozen. I want substance, and I found it was lacking.

A good library grab, but i won't be picking up a copy for myself anytime soon.
Tara Geske
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book has the cutest pictures ever! It is a great book to for beginners because of all the rhyming words. This book is also great if you are teaching about prepositions because there is a large chunk of the book that uses different prepositions. This book also includes some opposites that could be used for teaching moments. Gossie teaches about the importance of sharing because in the end she shares her boots with her new friend.
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
"Gossie is a gosling. A small, yellow gosling who likes to wear bright red boots. Every day." Small and square, this book (also available in boardbook) is just the right size for a toddler. Bright illustrations on a white background show the simplicity of Gossie's farm life. This is one of a series of Gossie and friends books-- each one is simple and small, but has enough story to interest older pre-schoolers too.
Christina
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
The series begins with Gossie & Gertie although they do not have to be read in any particular order. They are short, cute and fun books. They do not teach any higher values and morals; they are purely for entertainment. The reason I give them all four stars is because my son loves them so much, he carries them around with him everywhere and I like the art. Anything that encourages my semi-reluctant reader that well deserves a decent rating.
Jessica
Sep 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Gossie is a gosling who loves her bright red boots. She wears them everyday, everywhere she goes, in any weather. One day, her bright red boots are missing. She searches everywhere to find them and eventually finds them on someone else’s feet! Her friend, Gertie, has borrowed them and fell in love with the boots too. Now Gossie and Gertie share the boots. I think this is a great story with simple pictures and simple words. It is a board book that is easy for babies to hold and look at.
Wendy Daniel
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lis-4700
Gossie is a silly little goose. This series of books is a nice change of pace for babies (6 - 18 months). Introducing babies to books may seem like an irrelevant task, but this book definitely encourages a love of reading and produces some print awareness skills beginning at a young age. The colorful but simple illustrations are definitely adorable and appropriate for this age group.
Jenny
Mar 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: board-books, to-buy
I loved this book! I think Gossie is absolutely adorable. I could just imagine her stomping around. And that last page with Gossie and Gertie each with one boot on is so dang cute. This is one I will probably have to buy since I liked it so much. I honestly had a hard time taking it back to the library because I wanted to read it again!
Melissa Frentsos
May 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
One thing we don't like about children's books is how often they use the word "love" for material things. That's the main thing we didn't like about this one. Instead of Gossie "loves" her boots, we say Gossie "likes" her boots. Instead of "Gossie was heartbroken" when her boots were missing, we say "Gossie was very sad." Anyway, kind of a cute book but really not one of our favorites.
Peggy
"Very cute story about a little gosling who LOVES her red boots. And then one day they disappear and she looks everywhere for them - which is cute. My two year old enjoys the hunt for her red boots. However, I think the end is a confusing to little ones because Gossie and Gertie look way too much alike - but that's my only complaint."
Lindsey
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
A cute story about a gosling named Gossie and all the fun things she does with her red boots. When they go missing, Gossie looks all over before finding them on a new friend.

The strong colors and simple text are great for the youngest readers, although this is longer than your standard board book (which it is not; this is a small hardcover). One of a fun series of books for little ones.
Jenny Brown
Aug 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What toddler does not have a special something that he or she cannot live without? Gossie is a small yellow gosling who loves to wear her bright red boots everywhere she goes. “She wears them when she eats. She wears them when she sleeps.” But one morning she wakes up to find her bright red boots gone!

Full review:
Katie Edwards
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My two and a half year old daughter ADORES Gossie. She asks for it by name to be read to her EVERY NIGHT. And her father and I comply. We bought her Peedie as well, and I am now looking for more of the Gossie friends to add to her collection. She loves the stories and the illustrations. Perfect for young children!
Nancy
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, favorites
I love this little book; the story, the pictures, the teaching. I picked up copies 4 years ago for my grandkids without knowing anything about it and am so glad I did :)I should check out the other ones - Gossie and Gertie....
Amanda_DJ n' Zac
This little birdie (as my son said the whole time) wears little rain boots.... my now 2 year old slept in his rain boots for a week when he first got them. He loved this book, needless to say we may have to buy it! :)
  • Close Your Eyes
  • What's Up, Duck?: A Book of Opposites
  • I Kissed the Baby!
  • The Everything Book
  • Little Quack
  • What's Wrong, Little Pookie?
  • Hooray For Fish!
  • Little Hoot
  • Spots, Feathers, and Curly Tails
  • The Three Bears Board Book
  • I Know a Rhino
Since his debut in 1983, author and illustrator Olivier Dunrea has created a steady stream of picture books, including concept books, stories of family life—modern and ancient—and stories about artists. Many of Dunrea's picture books testify to his love of animals and his interest in archaeology and folklore of the British Isles, and several—including Ravena, The Trow-Wife's Treasure, and Bear Noe ...more
More about Olivier Dunrea...

Gossie and Friends (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Gossie and Gertie
  • Ollie
  • Ollie the Stomper
  • BooBoo
  • Peedie
  • Merry Christmas, Ollie!
  • Ollie's Easter Eggs (Gossie and Friends)
  • Ollie's Halloween
  • Gideon
  • Gideon and Otto (Gossie & Friends)