Start by marking “Storm is Coming!” as Want to Read:
Storm is Coming!

Storm is Coming!

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  150 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
When the old farmer warns that a storm is coming, Dog spreads the word and leads all of the animals to shelter.  Huddled together, they wait anxiously for Storm to come.  But who is this frightening creature named Storm, and what will happen when he arrives?  When the rain starts pelting the roof and lightning fills the sky, the animals are relieved.  The sky must be tryin ...more
Paperback
Published April 12th 2004 by Puffin Books (first published March 18th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Storm is Coming!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Storm is Coming!

Carole
The farmer sounds the alarm to his animals that a storm is coming. The rest of the story has the animals anxiously running around trying to make sure every animal knows about the storm--whatever that is?
Erica
Aug 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute picture book about animals on a farm who are scared of a storm that's approaching. A co-worker told me her 2-year-old granddaughter loves this book.
Miss Sarah
This book is laugh out loud funny. All the animals on the farm are rushing to the barn to hid from the storm that's coming. But the animals don't know what storm is so they sit and watch the sun disappear, the sky get darker, the wind blow and the rain come. Will storm ever get her and what is he? Funny length is preschool and up.
Mely
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Great book to help teach your little one not to be afraid of thunderstorms. We read this book before impending storms and she finds it so fun to watch for the signs as the storm moves through. Fun to make up voices for all the animals and the cat cracks me up!
Danielle
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a very fun one for all ages! The reading is very easy and little kids that can't read yet love hearing the story. It's a very funny story that will get kids giggling! It's a good story because it makes young kids feel smart because they know what actually happening when the animals don't.
Hayley Swanson
This book is a very cute and clever book about a bunch of barnyard animals mistaking the incoming storm for a monster by the name of Storm. The farmer herds them all into the barn to keep them safe, yelling, "Storm is coming!" all the while. Once in the barn, the animals' noise woke the cat, who demanded to know who 'Storm' was supposed to be. The animals didn't know, and the cat went back to sleep.

For the rest of the day the duck peers out the window and announces what's happening to the outsid
Stacey Learst
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs
A cute tale of a misunderstood definition of a storm by the farm animals. The illustrations were colorful and cute. By the end of the book the reader finally figures out the definition of storm through the misunderstanding of the animals and the farmer coming to get them after the storm has passed.

Learning Extension: You could have a lesson on words and their meanings, and words that are spelled differently but mean the same . You could also have the children engage in stories of times where the
Amy Lutchen
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you need a new children's book, GO FIND THIS ONE! I picked this up at one of those book fairs and I love it so much that I secretly pull it out when the kids aren't around and read it to myself, even reenacting the bleating sheep. Weird? Maybe. It's funny how every single time I open this to read it I think, "Why didn't I think of this?" It's a novel idea, so simple, yet soooooo entertaining. I guarantee that you and your sweet little ones will truly enjoy this story. If you have a child who ...more
Mar 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I came across a book recently that I really liked. It's called Storm is Coming by Heather Tekavec. The story is about a farmer gathering his animals together into the barn because a storm is coming. The animals do not understand what "storm" is, but are scared because the farmer seems scared. Lots of reds, oranges, and yellows are used throughout the book, giving a sense of the high energy of the frantic animals. The text adds some humor to the story that would be missed by viewing the pictures ...more
Jan
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When the old farmer heard the storm warnings, he hurried to gather all his animals into the barn. The animals were frightened. The farmer had said "Storm" was coming. Who is "Storm"? He must be an awful creature if they had to hide from him. When the wind and rain come, the animals are happy -- the thunder and lightning are chasing away "Storm"!

Full color pastel illustrations bring energy and life to this fun picture book for ages 2-6.
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
When the farmer puts his animals in the barn because a storm is coming, panic ensues until a brave dog offers a running commentary on how they will get through this scary time and duck offers a minute by minute account of the weather outside. A humorous look at how confusion can occur when our use of vocabulary is misunderstood.
Nicole
Nov 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute pictures and I love how when the sheep talk, the vowels are drawn out to mimic their baa-ing. Cute play on words when the farmer tells the dog to round up all the animals into the barn because storm is coming, and they think it's a person. Predictable, of course, but it's a kid's book! Cute. Another one my son listens to on CD. Read it to my toddler this evening.
Robb
Oct 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable book. A storm is coming and all the farm animals are gathered in the barn, awaiting a visitor named Storm. They think storm is a person, and they are afraid of it. So, they chear on the stormy weather, because the weather will keep them hidden from "Storm".
Amber Pangburn
The dog ran around the farm to go get the animals for the barn. The animals were then protected from the strom. I would use this in a classroom to help show the students how to protect their friends.
Ryan
Oct 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My best part was when the storm was over cause they could go outside.
Sharlet Mullen
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
This story is about how animals may see a storm. They all go to the barn and wait for Storm (who they think is a person). As the storm passes they do not understand. A fun story to use expression.
Greta
May 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
I thought it was really funny.
Susan Foster
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun book for weather-themed Pre-K Story Time.
Maximus
Shelves: thekids
cute
Joni Fletcher
Mar 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this story! It was a so cute and the kids loved it! Fun story about how we take things out of proportion.
Debbie
Apr 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the book and the kids did too when they understood what storm was.
Rachel Hoffman
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fun story book about a simple misconception of what or who storm is. This story could be used as an introduction into a weather unit, or fears unit. I believe this story if for ages 8-9.
Tierra Garr
Funny little story about farm animals being warned about a storm coming, but they have no idea what it is!
Michelle
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really cute story. I loved that the weather vane was a whale. The sheep and cows eyes were covered (by wool and by the color blue respectively), which was odd, but not a big deal.
Rachel
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • BOOM!: Big, Big Thunder & One Small Dog
  • Dog in Boots
  • Polar Bear Morning
  • Millie Waits for the Mail (Millie's Misadventures)
  • Overboard!
  • Ming Lo Moves the Mountain
  • The Underpants Zoo
  • Rain Drop Splash
  • Martha doesn't say sorry!
  • Carrot Soup
  • A Pet for Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #15)
  • Clifford Visits The Hospital
  • Jazz On A Saturday Night (Coretta Scott King Honor Book)
  • King Hugo's Huge Ego