Start by marking “Murder Shoots the Bull (Southern Sisters, #6)” as Want to Read:
Murder Shoots the Bull (Southern Sisters, #6)

Murder Shoots the Bull (Southern Sisters #6)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  1,780 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
Patricia Anne would swear that either she or her sister Mary Alice were switched at birth, except they were both born at home. Flashy, flirtatious Mary Alice is one foot taller, twice the body weight of Patricia Anne, and three times as likely to do something completely off the wall. But now Mary Alice’s impulsive behavior has landed them both in the Birmingham jail!

It all
Published June 6th 2000 by Avon (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Murder Shoots the Bull, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Shoots the Bull

Barb
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to put up this same review for the entire series. Instead of reading this set of books, I listened to the audiobook versions of the entire series. The series is about a couple of sisters that bumble onto murders and wind up solving them. I don't know if it's the books, or the reader that I liked the most. By the time I had finished a couple of the books, I felt like the reader and the characters were old friends. The stories are light, easy to follow, and not terribly complex, but to m ...more
Jeanne Adamek
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I read in the Southern Sisters series. Almost twenty years ago I was looking for something to read and couldn't find anything. I have to admit the title caught my attention so I read the description on the back. I still wasn't sure--it didn't really sound like my type of book, but I was desperate for a new book so I bought it.
It was wonderful, funny and extremely absorbing. I loved it so much that I got the other books in the series--without reading the descriptions becaus
Shelley
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Murder Shoots the Bull is probably my least liked books in Anne George's series "A Southern Sisters Mystery". In past books, it's been of the two sisters solving the mysteries together and the craziness they get into doing it. But this one was more of just Patricia Anne and her daily going on's. How many times must we read about her making coffee for herself or for others? Or cooking (more like heating up) meals for breakfast, lunch or suppers? It's as though this was the basis of the story with ...more
Luann
Jul 23, 2008 rated it it was ok
I'm very sad that this is my last Southern Sisters mystery. Maybe someday I'll reread them all - this time in publication order.

I'm also sorry to say that this wasn't my favorite. I've never had the "is this book EVER going to be over?" feeling while reading a Southern Sisters mystery, but I had it several times while reading this one. There were very few exciting moments and not that many humorous moments, either. But I guess that could have just been me? It felt like we just followed Patricia
Jenn
Nov 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
I like the Southern Sisters cozy mystery series. The two elderly sister are so alike yet so different. They compliment each other very well. It had been awhile since I had read one if these and I found I confused the characters with the cousins in the Bed and Breakfast series. The Southern Sisters is much less sarcastic and may even be classified as having more meat on it's bones.

There was only one dead body in this particular novel. And it certainly wasn't a gruesome death. There was the typic
Nancy
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, listened-to
I listened to the audio CD version while driving home from Boise. The reader, Ruth Ann Phimister, was excellent. She was good enough that my husband and I kept listening after the story started to irritate us. Phimister is why my rating is 2 star rather than one star.

This is the first Southern Sisters book I have read and will be the last. I suspect this is a series fans enjoy more for the characters than for trying to figure out the mystery. All the important hints are not revealed until the e
Dharia Scarab
Dec 20, 2013 rated it liked it

4 sta
Trish
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For some reason I thought I had read all of Anne George's southern sisters series (set in Birmingham, Alabama), but when I saw this one at the used book store last weekend, I realized I missed it somehow. Now that I'm done, this may very well be the best of the lot. With a situation developing right there in the neighborhood with Patricia Anne's neighbor, this cozy murder mystery was a fun read. Of course we have Sister/Mary Alice and the assorted kids, husband, former husband, etc. and they com ...more
Susan
Feb 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Sisters Patricia Anne and Mary Alice join an investment group, with unforeseen consequences. Meanwhile, they see Patricia Anne's long-time neighbor Arthur lunching with a strange woman, who seems to be sick. When she dies, they learn that the woman was Arthur's first wife, and he's a suspect in her murder. Obviously ridiculous, but that doesn't stop the police from arresting Arthur, or Patricia Anne and Mary Alice from involvement in the dead woman's wealthy, dysfunctional family.
Georgiann Hennelly
Jan 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It all started with a call from Patricia Annes neighbor Mitzi about joining an investment group. But when Mitzis husband is charged with murdering his first wife. And then their house is set on fire and he gets shot. Its up to Patricia anne and Mary Alice to solve the crime.
Sandi
The Southern Sisters manage to get caught up in another murder investigation in this fun, light entry in the series. Listened to the audio version which was narrated by Ruth Ann Phimister who always does such a good job with the characters.
Lois Hecksel
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another fun cozy mystery from the Southern Sisters
JoDee
Apr 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I am re-reading and I still love this series.
Kathy Wheeler
Jun 14, 2016 rated it liked it
These light mysteries always make me laugh.
Megan
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Entertaining. But very poorly edited. So many scenes involve a person hearing news, and then repeating it several times to others word for word. It's a decent first draft, but one hopes to read more than a first draft in a published book.

There is a playfulness and a delightful POV that is under-represented (a woman in her 60s who is sharp, independent, and full of sass, solving murders with her sister), but there are just too many awkward and stilted passages for me to want to read more in this
Barbara
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the Southern Sister mysteries. The sisterly conflict is fun to read as well as Patricia Ann's relationship with her husband. In this mystery the neighbor is accused of murdering his first wife. Next there is arson at his house and he gets shot in the rear. Of course, Patricia Ann and Mary Alice get involved in solving the mystery.
Terri
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Another fantastic book about Patricia Ann and Mary Alice. There are many comical scenes as they try to figure out why their neighbor was shot. I enjoy all the books in the series and this one did not disappoint!
Hope
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very fun read... but a weak mystery.
Susan Freeman
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A page turner! Fun too!
Amy
This was sent to me for a BookCrossing book exchange we've started in my building. I'd read almost all of the Southern Sisters series besides this one, most by audio-read. I've enjoyed the unlikely duo of Sister and Mouse, the glimpses of Birmingham, and the peripheral characters that populate these cozy mysteries, southern style. It was nice to dip back into the books, a nice break from the gritty mysteries I've been reading of late. I like the way George fills the pages with everyday tidbits o ...more
Gramy
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is another quick and cozy read. Patricia Anne, addressed as 'Mouse' by her sister, is a typical housewife and Sister can only be described as a quirky character with more money than common sense. The two sisters could not be more different, but they get along well. I like that Patricia and Fred get along so well after 40 years of marriage. There is mystery, murder, comedy, and chaos in sunny Florida. And once again, the Southern Sisters were able to figure out who the killer was before the ...more
Katie Rekowski
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Southern Sisters #6, 1999, read by Ruth Ann Phimister. Sisters, Mary Alice and Patricia Ann, live next door to Mitzi. Mitzi is long time married to Arthur. One day, the sisters see Arthur at lunch with an attractive woman. Soon after, the woman is dead. Arthur is arrested for murder. He is released on bail. Subsequently, the home is set on fire and there is an attempt on Arthur's life, shot in the but!.. Who is behind this? The sisters examine each suspect and track down clues and timeline to co ...more
Jan
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sister and Mouse are joining a women's investment club and settling down after their last adventure, when Mouse's neighbor is arrested for murdering his first wife. Mouse knows that mild mannered Arthur Phizer could not possibly have done it. When it becomes obvious that someone is trying to kill Arthur, the sisters can't help but get involved.

We meet some new characters and learn a bit more about the sisters. I just love them. I will hate to get to the last book. They are just so funny.
Wendy
Jun 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Another fun read in the Southern Sisters Mystery series. I did not enjoy this one quite as much as the previous books in the series though. The characters involved in the actual mystery and their relationships were hard to follow and the ending was a little too thrown together for me. I still enjoyed the relations ship between Mary Alice and Patricia Anne and will be finishing up the series soon.
Paula
Jul 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Love to listen to these on audio, Phimister does a good job of "reading" them and brings the sisters to life.

Patricia Ann's next door neighbor is seeing another woman. She is very concerned about it until she finds out that it's his ex-wife who is ill and living in the same town with her daughter and granddaughter. Arthur's wife Mitzi knows all about it. But when Sophie dies from poisoning and Arthur is accused of the murder, Patricia Ann and Mary Alice are out to find the real killer.
Beth Haren
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Please see my review on Murder Boogies with Elvis (the last Southern Sisters Mystery) for my actual review. I elected to review the series rather than each individual book because they went so fast.

This was the sixth and made me laugh and remember family members. Total bubblegum, but good downtime read.
Janice
Sep 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love this Southern Sister's" series; the relationships between the characters is so sweet and funny. The sister's have love and acceptance for each other, but over-coated with some snippiness and light sarcasm. The entertwining of their families is an enmeshment that enriches all their lives.
Moon Stumpp
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the entire series of 8 books on audio so the books for me were like one very long book. So I will review the entire series. Listening to them on audio was a joy…I laughed myself silly a couple of times. Mouse and Sister’s adventures will put a smile on your face, no matter what age you are.
Bea
Nov 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This cozy mystery was cute. The main characters are elderly and Southern, so there is much that is funny. The mystery was a bit Keystone Cops-like. A fun read but probably one I will not pursue as a series.

BTW, it is a stand-alone type book, although it is in a series. No prior knowledge was necessary as the author explains well who everyone is and their relationship.
Carolyn Rose
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
I generally read grittier mysteries, but the title of this cozy caught my eye and I enjoyed the main characters and their quirks. Mary Alice shoots from the verbal hip and, at 60+ attracts men like honey draws flies. And Patricia Anne won my heart because she seemed to avoid cooking whenever she could.
  • Murder Can Spoil Your Appetite (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #7)
  • A Groom with a View (Jane Jeffry, #11)
  • How to Murder the Man of Your Dreams (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #6)
  • The Maggody Militia (Arly Hanks, #10)
  • Hocus Croakus (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #19)
  • Buried Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #2)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
  • April Fool Dead (Death on Demand, #13)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Stalks the Hunter (Mrs. Jeffries, #19)
Anne Carroll George was an American author and poet. She was Alabama's 1994 state poet. George died in 2001 of heart surgery complications.

Anne George was an Agatha Award-winner and a former Alabama State Poet. She was a cofounder of the Druid Press, and a regular contributor to literary and poetry publications. She was nominated for several awards, including the Pulitzer for a book of verse entit
More about Anne George...

Southern Sisters (8 books)
  • Murder on a Girls' Night Out (Southern Sisters, #1)
  • Murder on a Bad Hair Day (Southern Sisters, #2)
  • Murder Runs in the Family (Southern Sisters, #3)
  • Murder Makes Waves (Southern Sisters, #4)
  • Murder Gets a Life (Southern Sisters, #5)
  • Murder Carries a Torch (Southern Sisters, #7)
  • Murder Boogies with Elvis (Southern Sisters, #8)
“she’s half a bubble out of plumb.” 7 likes