Start by marking “L'amore del bandito” as Want to Read:
L'amore del bandito

L'amore del bandito

(L'Alligatore #6)

2004. Dall'Istituto di medicina legale di Padova spariscono 44 chili di droga pesante. Criminalità organizzata da un lato e forze dell'ordine dall'altro si scatenano. L'Alligatore riceve pressioni per indagare e scoprire l'identità dei responsabili del furto. L'investigatore senza licenza non ci sta ma a certa gente non basta dire di no. Due anni più tardi scompare Sylvie, ...more
Paperback, Dal mondo, 208 pages
Published September 23rd 2009 by e/o

To ask other readers questions about L'amore del bandito, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L'amore del bandito

Start your review of L'amore del bandito
Tuck
Dec 16, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this is my 2nd Carlotto book read (first was "the Fugitive") and though he has rave reviews and it IS PRETTY good noir, i feel the plots are weak and characters are thin. sorry massimo, but i like my noir like izzo, not james patterson. hahahaha
Maddy
Oct 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
PROTAGONIST: Marco "The Alligator" Buratti
SETTING: Italy
SERIES: #7 of 7 (3 in English)
RATING: 3.25

He’s an unlikely (and unlicensed) private investigator. An ex-con, Mario “the Alligator” Buratti could easily be mistaken for one of the criminals that he is pursuing. He’s in partnership with two other guys, Beniamino Rossini and Max la Memoria, who have rather dubious pasts themselves. Marco and Max have been trying to go straight and are co-owners of a bar named La Cuccia. Max loves to cook; Marc
Amy
Oct 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“This was underworld business: it was a mathematical certainty that it was going to end badly… Somebody was going to die. That was the only thing we knew for sure as the car raced eastward in the night.”

It starts with a kidnapping that makes little sense, and moves nonstop into one of the most enjoyable literary treats I’ve read this year. Even though this crime novel is serious business, there’s an air of humor that surrounds a trio of ex-cons and bad guys that are called in to solve the crime.
Jeffrey Powanda
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard-boiled, fast-paced Italian crime novel that features Marco "The Alligator" Buratti, a blues-loving retired mobster who is now a private eye with his two friends. The plot involves the investigation of a drug heist that is later linked to the kidnapping of the girlfriend of Buratti's friend. The book is reminiscent of the 30's novels of Hammett and Chandler: lean, grim, and violent. It paints a sleazy, amoral picture of Italy, which has been flooded with drugs from Eastern Europe.
Steve Streeter
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darker and grittier than the previous two now leading to future challenges for the trio - this book is full of twists and double crossing ... miss a page and things could confuse - a great read
Scott Miller
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As dark as it gets.
Tuvana
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot got a little confusing but the book was still enjoyable as there were many scenes in Italian cafes and bars and the narrator was entertaining....
Joe Canas
Italo Italophiles
Bandit Love is book three in The Alligator Series, a series of noir crime novels for adults featuring Marco "The Alligator" Buratti, an ex-con turned unofficial private detective. The books are translated from the original Italian. Bandit Love features every seedy character one can imagine from the underbelly of society. I felt I needed a shower after reading this book, to wash off the filth.

Set in northeast Italy, with Marco The Alligator based in Padova (Padua), the reader is treated to a ring
Lisa
Feb 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two mob stories in a row--that's a lot for a girl who had to stop watching The Sopranos after Season Four. Unlike Beat the Reaper, which is Italian mafia in Jersey, this is Serb/Kosovar mafia in northeast Italy, who just happened to pick on the wrong trio of Italian friends. Carlos and Max (the Fat Man), bar owners and self-made private investigators after short-lived criminal pasts and jail time, are enlisted to help the powerful Bandit (the old smuggler, Rossini) exact revenge on the people wh ...more
Stan Lanier
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Former fugitive and innocent political prisoner tells tales of international crime of which we in the US, I think, are woefully ignorant. Drawing from his time in prison, his stories make sense in a way that the likes of Lee Child's and Michael Connelly's do not. His character, "the Alligator" (himself a former political prisoner now ex-con PI living on both sides of the law), is the perfect
vehicle for crime fiction perspcetive. Dubbed a few years ago,(as a marketing ploy no doubt), "Mediterrane
Jasmyn
Marco and his two best friends are all ex-cons gone good - mostly. They hard to look out for the people they care about without bending the rules too far. They have their own code of honor that made it almost hard to believe they were once the "bad guys" - at least until they did something illegal...

The biggest draw back in this book for me was trying to keep the three men separate. Their histories and actions started to merge and I'm still not sure if I have it all straight as to who did what.
Doylestown Bookshop
In a noir universe darkened by simplistic cynicism, Bandit Love is a crime novel lightened by a complex view of the world. Carlotto, whose own life reads like a noir crime novel (and he indeed turned it into one, The Fugitive), has created a world of characters who are both good and evil, strong and weak, and often bound together by friendship and honor. Although the plot gets convoluted and its resolution is not entirely convincing, Carlotto's story is taut and suspenseful.

Order this book

Cullen
Sep 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, crime, calibre
3.5 stars.

The plot is fairly complex for such a short book, and I think you need to have some understanding of the regional political situation of Italy to fully appreciate it, which I did not. Some aspects may have been lost in translation. The trio of main characters are entertaining and relatively original for the genre, and I will pick up the next in the series if it is translated. English translations of Carlotto's works have been a chore to find.
astried
Now I know why it's called noir....

Dark dark dark... desperate mess of mafia from all sort of nationalities, government, police, intelegentsia, hey... why not add international rotten policies... The question would be how people did manage to survive at all...

In order of puffy to sticky mess in Italian world would be: Brunetti - Montalbano - Buratti
Then again I have so many others I havent read.

3.5 stars (this ain't comfort read)
Lisa Hayden Espenschade
Sep 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys dark detective novels
Recommended to Lisa by: Publisher gave me a copy
I didn't realize how much I liked Bandit Love until I finished the book: Carlotto does a nice job blending recent history with established detective novel conventions.

I wrote about Bandit Love on my blog, here.
Drew
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Carlotto delivers a passably mischievous jaunt into the Northeast Italy underworld. The authentic Italian conception of the world and its insurmountable evils was precisely what I sought, marred only by a sometimes clunky, sometimes obtuse translation. I will have to go back and read this in the Carlotto Italian when my chops are sufficient.
Arianna
This is surely not Stieg Larsson, although it didn't take too much to read the book. But the language is not as beautiful (I read the book in Italian, of course), in fact it is a bit dry. The story takes place over several years, but the events are happening quite fast. The starting point of the book is carried on through all the pages, but I have got the sensation that after a while it is lost.
Işın
May 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Patriachial piece of reading, but I am not shocked of course. "Noir" in Italy, as in everywhere, will be like it. I didn't like how the events are unraveled. But I enjoyed the pro-immigrant antifa attitude of the writer. Good for a light reading when you are in Erasmus in Italy
Tom Corddry
First book I've ready by Signore Carlotto, an "Italian Noir" writer. A succinct book, but witty, worth reading if you like detective fiction outside the usual US/UK model.
Ann O'Connell
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this genre! I look forward to reading Carlotto's other crime novels. The Goodbye Kiss remains my favorite by this author. This installment is almost as good.
June
May 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good crime novel, with interesting characters. But just not my cup of tea. I am going back to my usual suspects. Perhaps Toni Morrison's new book?
Willie Whelan
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very strong noir novel. English translation now available. Very moral but brutal novel. I highly recommend any of the books in his 'Alligator' series.
Matthew
good pacing and nice introduction to modern italian noir fiction.
Jake Bialos
Really starting to LOVE this series… You will, too. If you like real down and dirty characterization. Moral Ambiguity. Exotic Locales. Damage...
Linda
Jun 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cool read... like the pace and the way this is translated. Love that it's set in Italy and the main character is likeable.
Riccardo
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fascinating story about a world that doesn't exist anymore. But who grew up in Italy in the 80's knows that it used to be like that and could not help to feel a touch of nostalgia.
Christopher Long
Carlotto really is the king of Euro Noir.His books are bitter,dark and authentic.Bandit Love has the bonus of being an Italian/France travelogue. Grenoble will never be the same.
Gerry McCaffrey
Pleasant light read, good quality prose. Must order another of his novels...
Joanna Curtis
I like it a lot, until I couldn't make myself finish it.

• فى الخور
  • اللعوب
  • The Four Just Men
  • Η Χοντρομπαλού
  • Mi fido di te
  • Friend of the Devil (Inspector Banks, #17)
  • La versione di Fenoglio
  • 9 ملي
  • معزوفة الشيطان
  • Ο Μέτοικος και η Συμμετρία
  • Testimone inconsapevole (Guido Guerrieri #1)
  • الشحاذ
  • Adam's Rib: A Rocco Schiavone Mystery
  • Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha
  • Shambhala: The Sacred Path of the Warrior
  • La puerta de los tres cerrojos (La puerta de los tres cerrojos, #1)
  • The Seven Dials Mystery (Superintendent Battle, #2)
  • Una donna normale
Massimo Carlotto è nato a Padova il 22 luglio 1956. Nel 1976, giovane universitario e militante di L.C., scopre casualmente a Padova il cadavere senza vita di Margherita Magello, colpita da 59 coltellate, e viene accusato dalla polizia dell’omicidio dopo essersi recato volontariamente a testimoniare.

L'Alligatore (9 books)
  • La verità dell'Alligatore
  • Il mistero di Mangiabarche
  • Nessuna cortesia all'uscita
  • Il corriere colombiano
  • Il maestro di nodi
  • Gang of Lovers
  • Per tutto l'oro del mondo
  • Blues per cuori fuorilegge e vecchie puttane

News & Interviews

“Like many Eastern European gangsters, he had been an official in the state security apparatus until the Communist regime collapsed.” 0 likes
“What I'm trying to do is save your ass, gorgeous.” 0 likes