Start by marking “The Creating Brain: The Neuroscience of Genius” as Want to Read:
The Creating Brain: The Neuroscience of Genius

The Creating Brain: The Neuroscience of Genius

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  339 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Michelangelo was raised in a rustic village by a family of modest means. Shakespeare's father was a middle-class businessman. Abraham Lincoln came from a family of itinerant farmers. Yet all these men broke free from their limited circumstances and achieved brilliant careers as creative artists and leaders. How such extraordinary creativity develops in the human brain is t ...more
Published November 30th 2005 by Dana Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Creating Brain, please sign up.

Simon Vindum It may or may not be what you have in mind but she mentions a list of characteristics 26 minutes into chapter 2 of the audio book. The listed…moreIt may or may not be what you have in mind but she mentions a list of characteristics 26 minutes into chapter 2 of the audio book. The listed characteristics are: openness to experience, adventuresomeness, rebelliousness, individualism, sensitivity, playfulness, persistence, curiosity and simplicity. A few minutes later she talks about openness to shades of grey and ambiguity.(less)

♥ Ibrahim ♥
This is a book that has been reading so easily with such engaging clarity and charming flow. It’s written for you and me by an author who actually writes impressive textbooks published by Oxford. The book makes me pause and think and inspires me with many ideas for side subjects to consider. I like how she began her book with something along the lines of the intellectual adventures of the early man, and man finding that creative spark wherever he or she went.
Abailart
Feb 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
This book reads deceptively simply. She is a genius writer herself, and there is more to the words than the voices of a neuroscientist, psychiatrist, PhD literature scholar and lover of those very words she weaves into a transparent shimmer that is, like the brain, wider thean the sky and not even in the same universe as the sum of its earth bound parts.
Mark
Apr 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
One of the oddities of the exploding field of brain science is that very few researchers are exploring the one area that arguably makes us most human -- our creativity. Part of the reason is that it's devlishly difficult to measure and to assess.

Nancy Andreasen, a University of Iowa professor and a pioneer of brain research, is one of the small group that continues to explore the creative urge.

This book is a good overview of what she knows about creativity both from self-reports by highly creat
Tim Gannon
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology-mind
Written by a psychiatrist who has also spent much time doing research - explores the subject of creativity both historically and current - goes over the relationship between creativity and mood disorders/schizophrenia - looks at nature vs nurture - even how to define creativity - goes over neuroimaging data on the subject - even the effect of lithium on creativity - discusses personality and cognitive characteristics of creative geniuses - neuroplasticity is touched on - it was quite interesting ...more
Jenny
Mar 03, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The topic was very intriguing unfortunately, this was not a well presented book. The writing was not engaging and the book was sprinkled with these annoying parenthetical side comments like blah blah blah (but Michelangelo was also born from a middle class family too!) blah blah blah brain etc.

I guess I was just not amused by these comments and some of the suggestions she makes in the end are such no brainers (ha!) that it's almost pathetic that people have to be told. My guess is that people t
Gokhan Gerezlioglu
Yazar, yaratıcılık “yaşama yepyeni bir gözle bakabilme ve bunu kullanarak işe yarayan veya güzel şeyler ortaya çıkarabilme yeteneğidir.” demiş.

Yazar, sbu şekilde yaratıcılığın, zekâ ve yetenekten bağımsız olarak ortaya çıkabileceğini açıklıyor, çevresel ve ailesel faktörlere vurgu yapıyor.

Kitapta, yaratıcılıkları ile tarihe geçmiş Mozart, Michelangelo, Da Vinci’den örnekler veriyor, kitabın tamamının akıcı olduğunu söyleyemem ama her kitap çevrilmesi gereken bir sayfadır..
Sharon
May 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: neuroscience
I found this book to be thin on substance and a bit fragmented in its focus - or at least the focus that the title implies. It's a meandering discourse of various historical attempts to understand creativity. The author's own research seems thin, too, when compared with the rigorous studies conducted by other neuroscientists.
Emna
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Average. Just general facts about giftedness, creativity, with examples of famous 'highly creative' people. I was expecting more medical details, such as: are there medical proofs for a different functioning of creative/gifted individuals? But the book is more kind of literature-style than medical-scientific one…
Heather
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thoughtful examination of what we know and what we might want to know about creativity, including how to foster it in ourselves and our children.
Tuğay Ilyasoğlu
Jun 30, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yeni hic bir sey soylemeyen, sadece 1 cumle ile ozetlenebilecek, yazarin bol bol kendini ovdugu kitap.
Onur Çukur
If you want to know what neuroscience is and what it can do this book is the basic guide for you.
Othman
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
a very interesting read
Metin Tiryaki
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
Beyinle pek alakası yok, dahiler ve yaratıcılık üzerine yazılmış bir kitap.
Benjamin Conlon
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
"The Creating Brain: The Neuroscience of Genius" written by Nancy C. Andreasen medical doctor and physician is a detailed novel that covers widely the basis of the human brain and its development through childhood, adolescence,and adulthood.The book not only mentions the primitive functions of the brain but the individual creative qualities that each brain consists of and what sets of breakthroughs constantly rec-occur in various fields such as the arts and science primarily. This novel assiduou ...more
Benjamin Conlon
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Creating Brain: The Neuroscience of Genius" written by Nancy C. Andreasen medical doctor and physician is a detailed novel that covers widely the basis of the human brain and its development through childhood, adolescence, and adulthood. The book not only mentions the primitive functions of the brain but the individual creative qualities that each brain consists of along with what sets of breakthroughs constantly reoccur in various fields such as the arts and science primarily. This novel a ...more
Leah
While an interesting subject in theory, the book suffered on several levels. For a book subtitled "The Science of Genius", I genuinely expected more scientific discussion of research, and less rampant speculation. The portion on the environment that produces a genius was particularly outstanding in this regard -- while the factors that Andreasen lists are certainly intuitive, her basis for them is merely anecdotal. At times, it read more like a historical account, which I would have enjoyed (the ...more
Cornelia
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: creativity
Creativity is the single most desired trait among American workers today. Just being able to perform the tasks of a job no longer cuts the mustard anymore, for most of our work is no longer in manufacturing widgets to tolerance, but in satisfying customer's expectations and meeting unmet needs.

Creativity is no longer the provenance of the arts alone, but has become part of science, education, technology, business and many other fields. Unfortunately, our schools aren't training for "creativity,
Charles
Jul 22, 2009 rated it really liked it

This is a hard book to read, but very interesting.

Nancy Andreasen attempted a scientific comparison of Iowa Writers Workshop members with matched pairs of people similar in Socioeconomic and demographic traits, but in more mundane types of work (law, medicine, engineering).

She says her study suggests that artistically creative people tend to have more mood disorders (not schizophrenia) compared to the control group--also alchoholism, which could be self-medication for mood problems or relief f
Baymavi
Aug 01, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bu kitabı yazmayı planlamış olsam ve Nancy Andreasen'in konu hakkında bildiklerinin iki katını bilsem, kitabı yazmaktan kesinlikle vazgeçerim çünkü nihayetinde kitabın yavan, yetersiz ve havada kalacağına kanaat getiririm. Hadi illa yazacağım diyelim, en azından kitaba "The creative brain: The science of genius" adını vermem ki kitabı okuyup bitirenler arkamdan bir ton laf etmesin.
Kitabın başlığının içeriği ile maalesef uzaktan yakından ilgisi yok ve yazılanlar spekülatif olma şerefine bile eri
Sanath Kumar
Steven
Nov 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: colloquium
This book was okay, but not exactly what I wanted for my purpose. I was much more interested in the bibliography than I was in the book itself. This book would be fantastic for someone who is slightly interested in the brain and how creativity functions within it. It is not necessarily for someone who wants to study it in depth. This book takes a topical look at many different factors in what makes a person creative. It gives a general history of how science has looked at creativity, as well as ...more
Wilson
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though the book isn't as expected loaded with some practical step in details, but with a majority part exploring the relationship between creative prodigy with psychosis, I still find the book captivating to read, as the author as an interdisciplinary scholar at the two ends of polarity of sciences (that's literature from theoretical science and neuroscience from natural science ), has fueled the arguments with evidences in an more objective and scientific way. Plus her light touch on words make ...more
D Books
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would have given this book a 2.5 star rating if it were possible. There was nothing new in this book that I hadn't known about for the past couple of decades. Finding ways to think outside the box, your environment, social/peer interaction, etc. All inspire creativity. The author is somewhat repetitive and slow to the point. I recommend just reading the last chapter and you'll get the whole point of the book.
Kerem
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall it's quite an interesting book, giving a good picture of where science currently is on understanding genius and how it develops. The personal experiences of the author make it a good read with many stories, and she also gives a different perspective with her unusual background mixing up literature and medicine. At times the book gets maybe a bit too easy or obvious, but I guess writing in this area is always a tricky business since one can otherwise get too technical/medical.
Shawna
This was recommended to me by Katherine. A researcher who has been studying how creativity manifests itself in the brain wrote the book. It is not thick with scientific lingo but still interesting enough. I have not been reading enough nonfiction but this book has made me determine to do so. Now that I do not have cable I no longer stumble on interesting documentaries while channel surfing. So now I need to go back to non fiction reading for those fun odd facts.
Burcu
An interesting piece of talent-history that is easy to read. It's a survey of artists, potentially with mental illnesses, looking into environmental, hereditary etc. causation. Still, it wasn't exactly what I hoped it to be. To those curious, the information here is available already, however scattered. I guess I was expecting more of the MD then the PhD, an emphasis on neuroscience, psychiatry and the medical layout.
Lfrola
Jul 29, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting look at the neuroscience behind creativity. Formerly a professor of English, Andreason is good at making a sometimes-heavy topic easy to read.

Although at times the book seemed a little Euro-centric, it was still a valuable resource for understanding the mysterious process of creativity. And the last section's tips for improving the mind are definitely worth reading!
Ember
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
I skimmed this book. While it is an interesting subject, the author didn't really offer any new information. It also didn't answer any questions; it more or less rephrased them. The majority of the book didn't really have anything to do with creativity itself, just about people we percieve as creative.
Talony
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Since I want to be a Social Science Researcher, This book caught my attention. I was in shock at how amazing this book was. I started reading and just couldn't put the book down. I love how there was questions the author asked that really can't be answered. I currently just started reading it again. I will read more of her books. I recommend this book to anyone
April
May 24, 2010 rated it liked it
I skimmed this book. I liked the parts that I read alright- didn't feel the need to read the whole book.

I thought it was interesting that there has been a link found between creativity and mental illness, but I'd inferred that from a book I read about boundaries. I wanted to send the author the Boundaries book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Neoinfuzyon: Yaratıcı Beyin- Dehanın Nörobilimi 1 5 Mar 05, 2016 11:48AM
  • Sparks of Genius: The Thirteen Thinking Tools of the World's Most Creative People
  • The Three-Pound Enigma: The Human Brain and the Quest to Unlock Its Mysteries
  • Creating Minds: An Anatomy of Creativity as Seen Through the Lives of Freud, Einstein, Picasso, Stravinsky, Eliot, Graham, and Gandhi
  • Psychiatry, Psychoanalysis, and the New Biology of Mind
  • Learning in Adulthood: A Comprehensive Guide
  • Are We Getting Smarter?: Rising IQ in the Twenty-First Century
  • 101 Theory Drive: A Neuroscientist's Quest for Memory
  • Notebooks of the Mind
  • Discarded Science: Ideas That Seemed Good at the Time...
  • The New Cool: A Visionary Teacher, His FIRST Robotics Team, and the Ultimate Battle of Smarts
  • Uncommon Genius
  • Psychological Testing and Assessment: An Introduction to Tests and Measurement
  • The First Idea: How Symbols, Language, and Intelligence Evolved from Our Primate Ancestors to Modern Humans
  • Creative Whack Pack
  • Curious Minds: How a Child Becomes a Scientist
  • Innovation Nation: How America Is Losing Its Innovation Edge, Why It Matters, and What We Can Do to Get It Back
  • Portraits of the Mind: Visualizing the Brain from Antiquity to the 21st Century
  • Eccentrics: A Study of Sanity and Strangeness

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99