Start by marking “Selected Poems” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems

Selected Poems

This is a reproduction of a book published before 1923. This book may have occasional imperfections such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact, or were introduced by the scanning process. We believe this work is culturally important, and despite the imperfections, have elected to bring it back into pri ...more
Published 1993 (first published 1890)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems, please sign up.
Faith Nelson If you want to know about the author before picking up any of her work then I would sugest watching a YouTube video about her! You don't have to read …moreIf you want to know about the author before picking up any of her work then I would sugest watching a YouTube video about her! You don't have to read all of her books in any order to understand what is being said. Happy reading!(less)

Start your review of Selected Poems
Sean Barrs
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of all things gothic
Emily Dickinson is one of my favourite poets; she is the gothic queen of poetry. At times she strongly reminds me of Edgar Allan Poe. Her poems are less macabre than Poe’s and certainly less fantastical, focusing more on human perception of the darkness and the realities of life, but her work is undoubtedly on par with his in the vein of dark romanticism.

There’s just something exceedingly morose about the way in which she writes. She was terribly depressed for much of her life, and such a pessi
Paul Bryant
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime

Because I could not stop for Cops
They kindly Stopped for Me
The Roadblocks covered all three lanes
Perfect Symmetry

A narrow Fellow - in the grass
With one eyed – snake – and smile
You may have met him – did you not
The local – paedo – phile

I heard a Boy-Band - when I died
The Radio - was on
And rushing so - to switch it Off
And catching - my left Thumb

And dancing round in - Painful Jig
And - tripping on a clod
Such - Banal invitation - to
The Vestibule of God

Hope is a thing with feathers
That perches in
Florencia
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.

This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!

She described my needs with beauty and accuracy. That is all I need. A book. And coffee. And maybe something to eat. But mostly a book.

Last weekend (weekends; the only time I can read like a maniac and write some things), I put on hold all my currently-reading books and dedicated
Lisa
"If I can stop one Heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain
If I can ease one Life the Aching,
Or cool one Pain,"

That used to be the motto in my classroom some years back. We are a community of people populating the planet, and we cannot just look for our own pleasure and gain, we must look after each other as well to find true meaning in life. Emily Dickinson was one of the most quotable poets in Middle School in that respect.

When we talked about the hopelessness of certain situations, we
Duane
“A Book”

There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.

This traverse may be the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears the human soul!
Swaroop Kanti
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That Love is all there is,
Is all we know of Love
;
It is enough, the freight should be
Proportioned to the groove

Deep, meaningful and thought provoking! - every line from this collection is worth reading more than once. This book can be titled 'The best of Emily Dickinson'. Each word, clearly, came from the heart.

Emily Dickinson is, for all the right reasons, considered to be one of the greatest and most original poets of all time.

How happy is the little Stone
That rambles in the Road alone,
And doe
Dolors
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those inebriated of air
Recommended to Dolors by: Ted Hughes
“There is the mosaic, pictogram concentration of ideas into which she codes a volcanic elemental imagination, an apocalyptic vision; there is the tranced suspense and deliberation in her punctuation of dashes, and the riddling, oblique artistic strategies, the Shakespearian texture of the language, solid with metaphor, saturated with homeliest imagery and experience; and everywhere there is the teeming carnival of world-life”
Introduction by Ted Hughes in Selected Poems by Emily Dickinson.

I th
Sara
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, my rating is for the poems themselves and not for this edition. It was very poorly done and I used it primarily as a guide for a group read, while finding the poems otherwise for actually reading. I would urge anyone who wishes to read Dickinson to seek out a much better edition than this one.

Not every poem in this collection is one of Dickinson’s best, but each of them has something important to say to us, if we are open and listen.

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in th
Edward
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, poetry
An appreciation of Emily Dickinson's poetry is greatly improved by a familiarity with the enigma of her personal life. Who was this strange hermit, who produced such an abundance of poems - childlike, with nursery-rhyme cadence; wildly inconsistent - yet earnest and pure, and possessing a preternatural perceptiveness of the ways of the world? For this reason, the unexpected highlight of this edition is the detailed, colourful introduction by James Reeves, which is so good a biography and analysi ...more
Brittney Andrews (beabookworm)
EMILY DICKINSON:

Although very little is known about her life, she is still by name alone, one of the most well-known American poets to have ever lived.

All of Ms. Dickinson's poems have the ability to move, provoke and delight any reader; however, these two poems tugged at my heartstrings the most:

The Soul's Storm.

IT struck me every day
The lightning was as new
As if the cloud that instant slit
And let the fire through.

It burned me in the night,
It blistered in my dream;
It sickened, fresh upon m
Magdalen
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry

We never know how high we are
till we are called to rise;

Because that fearing is so long
Had almost made it dear.

A
This miniature book contains 65 selected poems written by Emily Dickinson between the years 1858 and 1865. Emily, an educated American woman from Amherst, Massachusetts lived an eccentric, reclusive life only anonymously publishing less than a dozen of the 1,175 poems she authored. The body of her work was discovered upon her death.

The themes in this selection feature a deep sense of time, reflections on life, her surroundings, sorrow, spirit, a recurrent pondering of nature, mortality, occasion
Romie
Rating poetry is so damn hard. There, I said it.
Because I'm an English major, I studied Emily Dickinson, but too briefly to my taste, so I decided to buy this small collection of her poetry.
Poetry is so personal, sometimes you like someone's style, sometimes you don't, but other times you can absolutely fall in love with a poem but not the next. That's what happened here.
I still want to read more of her work, there is something to a poetry that keeps me coming back.

3.75
Material Place -
mwpm
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This volume of Dickinson's poetry is selected with an introduction by the poet Billy Collins. The introduction is standard, with Collins establishing biographical details and historical context. Which is interesting, but common knowledge to anyone who has read anything about Dickinson. What makes the introduction interesting is Collins's perspective on Dickinson's "letters to the world": his admiration for her use of metaphor, her figure of speech that he likens to "a kind of New England surreal ...more
Amanda
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
2016: I loved this. I love short poems and Emily - we're on a first name basis - is queen of the short form. I adored more than half the poems in this 100 poem collection. I'm pretty sure Emily and I would have gotten along, especially ten years ago when I was a goth and writing poetry every day!

2020: I love the themes Dickinson explores, including nature, death, grief and thought. I also love the short length of the poems and their fairly simple language. It gives me just enough to casually ana
Ana
If melancholy, longing and quiet passion are your game, Emily Dickinson is your girl.
Jayde / pinkpxls
"Parting is all we know of heaven, and all we need of hell". A few good quotes but mostly mediocre. I found there to be too many poems about God and religion.
Sue K H
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked these poems quite a bit,  but they didn't affect me as deeply as those of Edgar Allan Poe or Oscar Wilde.  I must prefer my poetry dark and brooding?  I don't know, because I'm still new to it.   These are mostly hopeful or joyful.  Some may lean towards being nostalgic or wistful but they never reached the point of being moody or somber, even one of my favorites called "Griefs" about grief.  Another favorite was "Returning" which was nostalgic, about returning home, but it still didn't ...more
Marie Tankersley
Emily Dickinson loved her slant rhymes, and she used them beautifully. She definitely had a knack for painting a picture through words, even in these short poems. Loved it.
Kris
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Death. Darkness. Trees and wind. Cold. Loneliness. Nature. Sparrows and Robins. Keepsakes. Ribbons. A breath in time. Midnight. Hurt and heaven. Flies and blue bottles. Loss and grief. “Hope is the thing with feathers."

A tiny little pocketbook of poems. While Poe’s “Raven” is my favorite poem, Dickinson has always remained my favorite poet.
Amanda
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can’t decide between two or three stars for this one. I guess this isn’t really my kind of poetry, but I don’t really read a lot of poetry in the first place. Some of the poems I didn’t have the energy to interpret, others came easier, and a couple amused me. The cover was my favorite part because it’s so beautiful. 😆
Kayla
I only picked this up way way back in November because I loved the show Dickinson so much. Obviously the poems are great but I wish I took a class focused on her poetry so I could understand them better.
Sheila
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, poetry
My first reading of Emily Dickinson is not actually in this collection selected by Ted Hughes. They were love poems called Wild Nights! Wild Nights! and I cannot live with you. I knew then that this poet is going to be one of my favorites. The imagery she paints is just too unique and original that reading them over and over again can produce different meanings for the reader.

In this collection, Ted Hughes, also a notable poet, not least because he was married to Sylvia Plath, selected 40-plus
➸ Gwen de Sade
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, 2017, poetry
I especially love the one that sounds like a rap:

The Wind didn't come from the Orchard — today —

If
🌻Alex🌻
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars, poetry

I am completely in love with Emily Dickinson & her poems. I don’t know anything about poetry - I just love words arranged in pretty ways. Ms. Dickinson does this perfectly.

The only thing stopping me from giving this 5 stars was the structure of her poems. I love this structure - it’s simple and easy to read and easily identifiable as her work. But in a book, they were all so similar that they started to run together, and it got a bit tedious sometimes.

But overall, I loved this. She’s
Marian
I died for beauty, but was scarce
Adjusted in the tomb,
When one who died for truth was lain
In an adjoining room.

He questioned softly why I failed?
"For beauty," I replied.
"And I for truth,--the two are one;
We brethren are," he said.

And so, as kinsmen met a night,
We talked between the rooms.
Until the moss had reached our lips,
And covered up our names.
Gill
Apr 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry

I'm pleased that I read this edition. At last, I have a bit of an understanding of Emily Dickinson's poetry. This edition has a very clear introduction, which puts her into context. It also explains a bit about why capital letters and dashes, including sometimes using a – at the end of a poem, are used by her in her poetry.

In addition to containing a variety of her poems, arranged by poem number, it also has a complete fascicle, as she called it, fascicle number 17. My favourite poem o
Kadidja May
I love poetry, though I wonder sometimes whether I love the idea of poetry more than the thing itself. Of course that's not entirely true because give me a deep poem and I will always admire you (and maybe fall a little bit in love, too). Still. I don't read it often.

I say this because I don't feel qualified to rate this selection. I read somewhere that for those who read/love/know Dickinson, the lack of her characteristic punctuation and capitalisation is a drawback in this edition. Understanda
Annie ⚜️
It makes me sad but I don’t think I’ll ever truly “get” poetry, most especially not Dickinson. At times, I felt like you could treat her poems like Mad Libs and just insert random nouns, verbs, adjectives, etc in place of other words for as much sense as any of this makes to me.

Furthermore, doom and gloom much?

That being said, the preface and afterword by a Cornell University professor were still a pleasure to read.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add publication date 3 12 Dec 28, 2017 10:02PM
Goodreads Librari...: Editions: Selected Poems of Emily Dickinson 4 21 Jun 22, 2015 05:28AM

• E.E. Cummings: Complete Poems 1904-1962 (Revised, Corrected, and Expanded Edition)
  • The Road Not Taken and Other Poems
  • The Complete Poems 1927-1979
  • The Complete Collected Poems
  • The Waste Land and Other Poems
  • Selected Poems
Emily Dickinson was an American poet who, despite the fact that less than a dozen of her nearly eighteen hundred poems were published during her lifetime, is widely considered one of the most original and influential poets of the 19th century.

Dickinson was born to a successful family with strong community ties, she lived a mostly introverted and reclusive life. After she studied at the Amherst Aca