Start by marking “Other Women's Children” as Want to Read:
Other Women's Children

Other Women's Children

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  108 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Dr. Amelia Stern became a pediatrician to cure children, not see them die. In a kind of bargain she strikes with herself and fate, she does everything she can to save other women's children, hoping to keep her own child safe from harm.
It's never easy. Amelia's hospital life contrasts so starkly with her cozy domestic world that she can't help but bring it home sometimes. A
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published December 22nd 1991 by Ivy Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Other Women's Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Other Women's Children

Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
"The copy of Little Women Amelia has been keeping at her bedside is the copy she read when she was little. It would be only a very slight exaggeration to say that she knows the book by heart--certainly she could pass a trivia test on any chapter. (What was Amy punished for in school? How did Jo first meet Laurie? What was Beth's pseudonym in the Pickwick Club? What did Meg look like when her wealthy friends dressed her up?) She took that copy with her to college, and to medical school, and now s ...more
Feb 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
It seems you either love this or hate this. I hated it because I just finished another book by Perri Klass, about an overweight female pediatrician with a son and daughter, whose husband cheated on her once. This book is about an overweight female pediatrician with a son whose husband cheated on her with one of her friends, apparently every third night when she was on call. I HATED that the husband cheated in the first book( and that was just once) and that his wife's response was to consider th ...more
Erica
Jun 06, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this. The author does an interesting thing by threading the main character's love of literature into the narrative. She is particularly taken with portrayals of dying children -- understandable since she is a pediatrician. This book was written more or less in the earlier days of AIDS, so it was interesting to see that progression, as well. The relationship between the main character and her husband wasn't of much interest to me, and it just didn't feel developed. Which could possibly ...more
Janice
Aug 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: past-great-reads
I loved this book when I first read it, and just as much in this recent re-reading. It is not a "light" read; the character, as well as the author, is a pediatrician who treats many children with AIDS, as well as other life-threatening illnesses. But the book is beautifully written, alternating between first and third person to enhance the depth of characters. I think it resonates for many of us who have worked with children, and who have struggled to balance our passion for that work with our p ...more
Linda
May 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biog-and-memoir
"A Not Entirely Benign Procedure" is an account of this author’s four years at Harvard Medical School and her internship and residency in Boston as a pediatrician. "Other Women’s Children" takes up where the non- fiction ends, and explores other aspects of her life and training, such as being a wife and mother. This is sort of an autobiographical novel; I think I enjoyed the non-fiction more.
gaudeo
Aug 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Well-written, moving account of a pediatrician who cares for sick children while acutely aware that her own child is, by and large, healthy and normal. Prose alternates between third and first person, with the nineteenth-century-style omniscient narrator thrown in. I didn't think all three approaches were necessary, and the first-person sections seemed obtrusive to me at first, but I got used to it. I'd read more by Klass.
Betsey Brannen
Mar 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
If there is anyone out there who can explain to me what the hell happened in this book, I would be glad to read it. Either Klass is Stern, and we are to read things from her persepctive, or Klass isn't Stern. If Klass is not Stern, then we are left with a first person, third person, and occasionally autobiographical tale of a woman who clearly has everything but nothing. I read it in 24 hours, one because it's literally that excruciating, and two because I couldn't wait to be done.
Cecilia
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those interested in medical fiction?
Shelves: favorites
When I read this, I still wanted to be a pediatrician. Klass' ability to infuse medical skill with compassion was very enticing to me...a possible future doctor. She doesn't over-sap the characters and doesn't dwell on the importance of doctors. The medical professionals here are neither heroes nor villains. They are just working people trying to save another life or help another child out. Well done!
Elizabethballog
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, cried my eyes out and looked forward to free moments in the day where I could speed through 10 more pages at a time. Perri Klass has very talented observational writing style. Sort of like Meg Wolitzer in "10 Year Nap" but less self-consciously and annoyingly clever. my new favorite author.
Holly
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it
i'm not sure why i gave this only three stars after i finished it. now, about a month later, i'm writing this review and i honestly don't understand why i only gave it three starts. i remember enjoying reading it. i guess there were some parts i wasn't fond of. maybe the ending?
Heidi
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. As a pediatrician/mom I really wanted to like this book; I have enjoyed Perri Klass's non-fiction. But, the writing style here didn't work for me (particularly changing between 1st and 3rd person narrator) and the characters just didn't speak to me.
Suzanne
Mar 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
I could relate to this book so much, working as the primary breadwinner in our family, raising a four year old son, caring for others as a nurse. I was disappointed with the ending though.
Jan
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading Perri Klass' regular column in Discovery Magazine back in the day. Her novel did not disappoint.
Joanna
Feb 17, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Doctors. Patients. Parents. Anyone with compassion or who wants some
Shelves: fiction
I learned to understand how to better balance my life as a counselor with my home life and how difficult this can be. This was a very honest, forthright and cut to the quick narrative.
Marvin
Aug 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
The confused voice made it an often frustrating book that nonetheless had considerable resonance in its attitutde about the care of children.
Aug 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is sure to be on my Top 10 of the year. This was a compelling story and the writing style is just wonderful. I highly recommend this book and I am off to read more by this author!
Lauren
Sep 22, 2008
Connie
Mar 18, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Perri Klass is a pediatrician who writes fiction and non-fiction. She writes about children and families, about medicine, about food and travel, and about knitting. Her newest book is a novel, The Mercy Rule, and the book before that was a work of non-fiction, Treatment Kind and Fair: Letters to a Young Doctor, written in the form of letters to her older son as he starts medical school.
She lives i