Start by marking “Chosen People” as Want to Read:
Chosen People

Chosen People

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  61 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
When Alex Powell stops into a Los Angeles bookstore on a rainy spring night, she's planning to write a column on the author who is reading and signing books there. But what she gets instead is a firsthand look at the murder of a controversial African American writer. James Simpson Lee Hastings's death sends seismic shock waves through Los Angeles's black and white elite, a ...more
Published April 25th 2006 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Chosen People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chosen People

Gem
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nbrb-reads
this was a fun, easy read. i really liked the main character - Alex Powell. she and the other characters (namely Signe, Georgie, and Paul) reminded me a lot of me and my group of friends/associates. the class divide among African Americans also reminded me a lot of the Black community in San Diego, where i grew up, so the story felt very familiar to me (minus the murders!).
Nicole
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and the unexpected plot twists. I would like to read more books on Alex Powell.
Candace Klenk
Dec 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who aren't white...sense the write seems to be a bit of a racist
Didn't really care for this book...probably because I'm white and I REALLY don't appreciate anyone grouping everyone in any race together and basically insinuating that they are all morons or whatever...that being said...the story itself wasn't bad, and based on that fact alone is why I gave it four stars. It was interesting to get a glimpse into some of the prejudice that occurs in one race against members of their own race (did that sentence make any sense?)

One thing that I really didn't unde
Donna Bennett
Sep 17, 2008 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Donna by: Discussion Group
I was a little restless while the two murders were slowly building the mystery to the connection to Simp Hastings. But, it kept me connected to the characters and wanting to know who killed them. She puts a hip spin on the genre using a sort of insider's secret language. Besides "small colored world", there is her code for white people, "WP", and the Black Bourgeoisie, "Nigwazeez" and other witty terms.

I found Alex Powell Smart, opinionated, intelligent, and a-no-nonsense sleuth. And, I liked a
Mia
Nov 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Unlike many of the lightweight mysteries I've been reading lately, I didn't have this one figured out long before the ending. I did catch one of the twists early on, but it wasn't distracting. But there were a couple of distracting moments that should have been caught by an attentive editor (April is not 6 months after August, for instance). I alsso liked how the author played on and off of various stereotypes to examine issues of class within the African-American community. It kept things acces ...more
Shaunie
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the fact that I honestly didn't know who could've been the killer throughout the entire novel. while I did enjoy the not knowing I also feel like there could've been more character development so the audience would've had a better chance to kind of place someone as the villain. Overall I enjoyed this book and the authors style. I look forward to reading her other work.
Carolyn
Jul 13, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: beach-reads
Fun, quick read with lively characters. I loved it because the main character is a reporter in LA. Good insights into class distinctions among African Americans and black/white race interactions among friends. Beach reading with some depth.
Kim
Jul 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
I honestly couldn't get past the first chapter. I did enjoy Plain Brown Wrapper, but this one just didn't do it for me.
Emmy_Jay
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Easy read. It starts off slow, but becomes a page turner. Even though the conclusion is abrupt, the ending is shocking enough.
Miyao Gheez
Aug 10, 2008 is currently reading it
nothin yet..
Kellea
Oct 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book, a mystery that gives the reader an inside look into the lives of the Black elite of Los Angeles, CA. I look forward to reading something else from this author.
Bariki
Jul 01, 2008
Ingrid
Jul 30, 2009
Marissa
rated it did not like it
Jun 01, 2013