Start by marking “Kids Say the Darndest Things!” as Want to Read:
Kids Say the Darndest Things!

Kids Say the Darndest Things!

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  466 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Almost 50 years since its first printing, this famous collection of children's wisdom and witticisms is now back in print in a facsimile edition to entertain a whole new generation. KIDS SAY THE DARNDEST THINGS! includes the best of the unconsciously funny, everyday thoughts and reactions kids shared with kid-at-heart Art Linkletter on his long-running radio and television ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Celestial Arts (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Kids Say the Darndest Things!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kids Say the Darndest Things!

Cyndi
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
How could you not love this book? The kid's are adorable! A few samples to make you want to pick this up: "One little lad remarked that they had a brand new Daddy around the house. When I asked if he knew how his mother had met him, he told us a real whizzer: 'It all happened one morning when the doorbell rang while Mommy was taking her bath.' He stopped to gulp. And at this point I could have inserted a ten minute commercial for any client under the sun and we wouldn't have lost a viewer. 'My l ...more
Salwa
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I think I am gonna carry this book around with me all the time. Whenever life is handing you lemons and making your day gloomy, you can rely on a kido to help you out with perspectives and simplify your convoluted adult thoughts, cause they'll give it to you straight.
Sara
Oct 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
My parents had this book when I was a kid and I read it back then. I found it kind of amusing, even as a kid.
Carmen
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not as entertaining as I thought it would be. The illustrations by Schultz are wonderful, but I still couldn't finish the book.

Children do say wonderful, hilarious things all the time, but Linkletter's format is distracting and takes away from the flow.
Jeff Dawson
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kids Say the Darndest Things
What an excellent collection of the thoughts from babes. I enjoyed how many boys referenced how they would enjoy having Marilyn Monroe or Jane Mansfield as their mother. If you don’t know who they are, take the time and do a little research. In my day, it was Raquel Welch! When it came to a father figure, Dwight David Eisenhower was a unanimous choice. For me I’d have to say it was John Wayne.
While I enjoyed many of the comments Art was able to pry out of the young m
Kristin
Feb 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Cute book! I began reading it on a bus trip to New York City because I knew 2 of my young cousins would be along, and if they got bored I supposed I could read excerpts from it to entertain them. They didn't care about the book, but my uncle noticed it, having read it in its original publication back in his youth.
We both remember the television show, though my memory is of Bill Cosby's revivial and not of Art Linkletter's original. Having spent so much time with the aforementioned cousins over t
David Ward
Feb 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, non-fiction
Kids Say the Darndest Things! by Art Linkletter (Prentice Hall 1957)(817). I loved this book as a kid. Art Linkletter hosted a popular daytime variety and talk show in the 1950's and 1960's called "House Party"; he would often assemble a panel of young children and ask them questions; the always surprising and often hilarious answers have been crafted into this book. For instance, Linkletter confesses in the book that one of his favorite questions to ask the kids on the panel was, "What did your ...more
Ken
Dec 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Luucccuuu banget. Tambah lucu karena ini nyata. Kids say the Darndest Things! adalah acara talkshow di Amrik sono (gak tau sekarang masih nggak), pembawa acaranya si pengaran ini (Art Linkletter). Tiap episode ada 4 anak (di bawah 12 tahun) yang diwawancarai dengan pertanyaan yang biasa aja sebenarnya, tapi jawabannya itu lhooo jujur, polos, lucu, dan imajinatif! Keren deh. Sayang di Indonesia nggak ada acara serupa (mungkin yang paling mirip adalah kuis celoteh anak yang dibawakan Dewi Hughes d ...more
Erik Graff
Mar 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students of the fifties in the USA
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: literature
When I was little I read all kinds of things I'd never look at today, except perhaps in a bathroom. One was Reader's Digest, a commonplace in homes. Another was this book derived from radio and television interviews with kids under the age of eleven. What I'd like to be able to recapture about this reading is how it felt to read what kids my own age were saying as wrapped up in print by adults. Sadly, because I would have preferred to be more exceptional than I was, I read it as given, just as I ...more
Never
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Some great utterances by the kids make this collection almost worth it. One can see such brutal honesty and profound wisdom in the voices of these youngsters that you will come to appreciate the delicateness of children's souls everywhere, and greatly fear the fragility of the innocent bubble they reside in. You will question how you came to stop being one - and how, if only you had the power, you could have preserved that same purity of mind and heart which everyone somehow grows out of.
Mell
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love this collection of hysterical things said by kids, as collected by the TV host. Inherited this book when it was donated to the church library but considered too ripped up for the shelf. I used to volunteer to tidy up the neglected room. At that time I had no idea who Linkletter was or that the book was based on his popular TV hosting gig.
Joy Gerbode
Nov 03, 2013 rated it liked it
While there were certainly a lot of cute stories in this book regarding the cute things children say, I think most all of them would have been much funnier if I could have seen the children (on the old show) rather than just reading it on the page. While many of the responses were humorous, I'm sure they were MUCH funnier when you could see faces and see the children.
Lance
Aug 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My parents had this on the bookshelf in the living room. When I read it, I was about the same age as the kids being quoted. I thought it was the funniest book in the world back then. A delightful read!
Kaethe
Sep 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
...when asked leading questions. Whenever you're bored just find a kid and ask them about any serious weighty topic of the day. For even more fun, invite them to speculate on topical subjects: how does the Easter bunny do that?
KennyO
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Art Linkletter had an occasional segment on his TV showw where he interviewed several kids, one by one. The title says it all and things haven't changed awfully much in the world of kids. If you find this book, read it! It'll brighten your day.
Mary Lou
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
A delightful humorous book of children responses to questions.
Quotes:
Spanking, if necessary, has to be "on the spot"

As long as a child is at battle to see what he can get away with he is unhappy and miserable. Real authority, well defined limits gives him security.
Lynnea
Jan 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Pretty funny. But this book is so old (1957) that much of it was dated beyond my understanding.
Still it was quick and enjoyable with a bit of Art's autobiography thrown in.
Richard
May 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Uneven, but parts are incredibly funny.
Teresa
They really do!
Michell Karnes
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A very fun book full of those charming and sweet things children say. You can tell that the book was written in the late fifties but still the innocence of children is timeless.
Chris
Mar 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
I love this book! It is so funny and reveals the innocence and honesty of children so well.
Peter Daniel Berg
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
funny to see parents embarrassed by their children. art style good. one read only.
Cassandra Sells bushman
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites!
Tammra
Mar 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, nonfiction
My mom had this book on the book shelf when I was younger. I loved to read it and laugh. I found a used copy and bought it just for the memory.
Stacie  Haden
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny-humorous
I read this when l was a teenager. We watched the show regularly. This is a classic, of sorts.
P.W.
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great thrift store find... somewhat dated yet also timeless in the presentation of children.
Vicki Boyd
Jul 05, 2012 rated it liked it

Non-fiction. Oldie but goodie. Found at yard sale for a dollar.
Laurette
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I remember reading this as a child. Very funny book!
Pam
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
cute!!
Goodreads Librari...: Please Split off Kids Still say the Darndest Things 3 17 Aug 06, 2015 09:17AM
  • Kids Say the Darndest Things
  • Just Wait Till You Have Children of Your Own!
  • The Late Night with David Letterman Book of Top Ten Lists
  • The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus: All the Words, Vol. 2
  • 100 Years, 100 Stories
  • MAD's Greatest Artists: Sergio Aragonés
  • The New Yorker Book of Cat Cartoons
  • The First 200 Years of Monty Python
  • Bad Dog: 278 Outspoken, Indecent, and Overdressed Dogs
  • The Ig Nobel Prizes
  • Good Ol' Snoopy (Peanuts Coronet, #3)
  • Baby's First Mythos
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
  • The Boomer Bible
  • The Bride of Anguished English: A Bonanza of Bloopers, Blunders, Botches, and Boo-Boos
  • Cat
  • NPR Funniest Driveway Moments: Radio Stories That Won't Let You Go
  • The Mouse on the Moon (The Mouse That Roared, #2)