Start by marking “Mean Margaret” as Want to Read:
Mean Margaret

Mean Margaret

Question: What do a pair of newlywed woodchucks, a squirrel, a testy snake, a skunk, and a couple of bats have in common with a family of pudgy human beings named Hubble?Answer: Their lives are all turned topsy-turvey by a tyrannical toddler named Margaret.

Question: Will Margaret ever realize that there's more to life than being mean? Answer: Read this touching comedy and
Published September 30th 1997 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Mean Margaret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mean Margaret

Brandon
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
A quirky tale with many, many pleasant twists and turns. I enjoyed this tale for its imaginative nature as well as its subject matter dealing with the lives of many times of animals. Irreverent and sometimes pretty funny. Nice changes to the inner lives of the main characters, through interesting and offbeat channels of cause and effect.
Hollie
Nov 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book was not a good choice for us. My kids didn’t enjoy it and couldn’t wait for it to be finished so we could move on to a better book. The characters are not endearing and it had too much negativity for a children’s book. In my opinion it is poorly written and does not make a good read aloud.
Nicola Mansfield
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Reason for Reading: I've read one previous book by this author and since I enjoyed it was looking forward to reading another of his books.

I'm not sure "Mean Margaret" is actually the best title for this book as Margaret is not the main character, nor is the story really about her, but she is indeed the antagonist. The book concerns Fred, a woodchuck, and his search for a mate. His eventual marriage to the woodchuck Phoebe brings up the talk of children, which Phoebe loves and Fred hates, putting
Phoebe
Jun 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Frank the woodchuck thinks he is quite content with the single life, until he realizes one day that he is lonely. He begins his courtship of Phoebe, and they marry, but it is clear to the adult reader that Phoebe would like a bit more from Frank, who does not hug for fear of mussing his fur. A human toddler appears one day and the woodchucks adopt her, against Frank's better judgment, and sure enough she makes their lives chaotic, messy, and terrible. The animal world goes into shock--and you wi ...more
Yari
Nov 27, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a story about an uptight woodchuck named Fred whose wife adopts an abandoned human toddler - the naughty title character Margaret. My thoughts: Fred's search for a wife took one too many chapters. Lines that could have been better spent transitioning 'mean Margaret' to a repentant one. Also- the story is full of hidden messages- like Fred's growing need to stop his 'nightmare' of a cold shoulder to which the only solution is finding a wife (way too much emphasis on this). I am not sure I ...more
Carmine
A neurotic woodchuck and his kind-hearted new wife take in the world's most horrid toddler and end up creating a family with a squirrel, a skunk, two bats and a snake that help them care for their demanding human baby.

Likely to appeal to people who enjoy Lois Lowery when she is in a Willoughbys or Birthday Ball kind of humor. Not for people who like their animal stories all sweetness and light.
Jessica
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
description
READ THE REVIEW AT RRWRITES.COM
Lori Bowen
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I first listened on tape to this book with my girls on a road trip. It's an unusually blunt and honest group of characters far a kids book. I could picture in my mind all the little details The character are not all nice but they are stupendous!
Epcollins
Jul 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Subversive.

Loner Fred meets a mate.

They find Sally (9) a baby in the forest and have to figure out what to do with her.
Linda
May 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
i like how the wife really cares bout the child wen it is very loud
Jasmine
Feb 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
I loved this book when i was little. We listened to it on tape a couple times. When grownups would ask me about books i would recommend this to them
Julie
May 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
This is a children's book. I like to read some every once in awhile. I enjoyed the beginning and end, though the middle almost had me losing interest. Kids will enjoy. I liked the illustrations.
Nov 26, 2010