Start by marking “The Convulsion Factory” as Want to Read:
The Convulsion Factory

The Convulsion Factory

Thematic collection of 12 stories based around the theme of urban decay.

# From Out of the Angry Ruins • Philip Nutman • introduction
# • Extinctions in Paradise •
#
Trade Paperback
Published 1996 by Silver Salamander

To ask other readers questions about The Convulsion Factory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Convulsion Factory

Benjamin Uminsky
Well...

That's that, I have now completed reading all four of Brian Hodge's short story collections, from most recent works to his oldest works, as published in this collection THE CONVULSION FACTORY (CF). Its been a fantastic literary journey and one that has helped me better appreciate this wildly underrated author of incredibly dark fiction.

CF contains Hodge's rawest stories, and I can see how much more refined a writer he has become. This collections key theme (much like a regular theme explo
Evans Light
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-it
As I like to do with anthologies (since I seldom read them straight through), I'm going to leave little reviews as I work my way through. My overall rating will reflect what I think of the book so far.

Story Reviews:

GODFLESH - ***** Five Stars

This has got to be one of the more twisted stories I have read. Wow. The beauty of the written language provides a sharp contrast and counterpoint to the depravities described. Eager to read more! I've only read three of his short stories so far, but Brian H
Иван Величков
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: Ужаст
Бъди нащрек, читателю, защото Баркър има достоен съратник, който да те хване за ръка и да те поведе навътре в дълбините на уродливото, а името му е Брайън Ходж.
Още когато попаднах на “Godflesh” в една екстремна антология, разбрах, че съм намерил нещо уникално. Сега, след известно търсене, имам щастието да ви споделя сборника „The Convulsion Factory.“
Книгата съдържа 12 разказа обединени около темата за развалата в градовете. Разпадането на семейните ценности, извращаването на междучовешките отно
Chris Berko
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Boring. Boring. Boring
Josh
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i've read dozens of rave reviews of this book and having finished it, i am baffled. although not badly written per se, i found nearly all of the stories to be fumbling, overly wordy, and ultimately nonsensical. this is my first exposure to brian hodge and it may very well be my last.
Joey
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
NSFW but so thought provoking. I've always loved this man and I probably always will. He is one of my all time favorite authors.
Christopher
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
In the Dark Age (perhaps given the subject it should be 'light age' ) of horror in the 90s, this was a rare breath of fresh air. The decade most culturally notable for soft mom-rock being the primary form of music and faux edge its reaction was a notoriously devoid time for many things, as the many 90s kids like myself who transferred their nostalgic loyalties to the 80s can attest.

Of course, horror fiction of this caliber would have been above my tender sensibilities, even then.

Not every story
Ryan Pidhayny
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have long been impressed by the short stories of Brian Hodge that I've come across in various anthologies but had yet to read a full book by him. Starting with an author's first work can be risky, but I was blown away by Hodge's debut collection. Progressive and transgressive, the stories within were collected in 1996, but they feel just as relevant today. Themes such as urban entropy, self-sacrifice of the most gruesome kind, and surreal transformation all have starring roles. While I'm not a ...more
Brett Grossmann
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Very 90's piece of lit. Anthology has some good ones. Nothing great. The bad ones drag the book down to the 3 stars. People that left 5 stars are either related to hodge or have no understanding of the criteria for 5 star greatness
David Powell
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hodge is a resonating, distinctive voice in contemporary horror fiction. He'll make you cringe, laugh, cry, and think. His satire of Naked Lunch has to be read to be believed.
Tommy
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For some reason I started reading this half-heartedly, maybe not expecting much beyond typical horror fare. But by the 3rd or 4th story, I realized it was much better than that. More nuanced and layered and clever. By the last couple of stories (or novellas, a few were satisfyingly long) I was loving every second of it, and realizing what a master he is. Reminds me of what I consider the best of Poppy Z. Brite, Caitlin Kiernan, and even Jemiah Jefferson. Hodge mentions in his epilogue being infl ...more
Lostaccount
Apr 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
After all the praise I read about this writer and this book (ranked among the 113 best books of modern horror: WHAT? REALLY?) I was expecting great things but the writing was terrible. I couldn't bear even one of the stories for more than four or five pages. Nonsense fiction and really laboured writing. I'll try one of his novels to see if they're just as awful.

Note to author: the correct usage is Couple Of, not Couple .. for example, a couple of something, not a couple something. This kind of g
Russell Coy
May 28, 2012
Asif Abul Kalam
Jun 22, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Brian Hodge, called “a writer of spectacularly unflinching gifts” by Peter Straub, is the award-winning author of ten novels of horror and crime/noir. He’s also written well over 100 short stories, novelettes, and novellas, and four full-length collections. His first collection, The Convulsion Factory, was ranked by critic Stanley Wiater as among the 113 best books of modern horror.

He lives in Col