Start by marking “The Coming Plague: Newly Emerging Diseases in a World Out of Balance” as Want to Read:
The Coming Plague: Newly Emerging Diseases in a World Out of Balance

The Coming Plague: Newly Emerging Diseases in a World Out of Balance

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  8,619 Ratings  ·  313 Reviews
An exploration of the battle against microbes, based on research in virology, molecular biology, disease ecology, and medicine, examines the current outbreak of infectious diseases and outlines what can be done to prevent the coming plague.
Published January 1st 1994 by Farrar Straus Giroux

To ask other readers questions about The Coming Plague, please sign up.
Mynx This book was used as a text book for Immunology at out local university. it is filled with short stories on the major players in communicable…moreThis book was used as a text book for Immunology at out local university. it is filled with short stories on the major players in communicable diseases. The their is a little dramatization to introduce the scientists who fight on the front line as living breathing people, not a dull history lesson.(less)

Gregory S.
Oct 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A couple weeks after I read this wonderful book (years ago) I was walking across the Brooklyn Bridge and saw a woman that looked just like the jacket photo of Laurie Garrett. I stopped and asked "Are you Laurie Garrett?" And, of course, she was. Then I said something impossibly stupid--like "You are to disease what the Beatles are to music." That wasn't what I actually said, but it was something equally idiotic and I'm sure I embarrassed the poor woman.

I attended a reading she gave a few years
Forrest
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ebola's back. Want to know how it all started? Read this book. If you're not terrified by the time you're done, you're not paying attention or you have far too much faith in the strength of man versus microbes. I read this for a graduate-level history class on "Ecology, Disease, and Population". Needless to say, we spent quite a bit of time studying how disease has shaped human history.
Chrissie
3 stars
This book is in-depth. The focus is on history, detailed facts and what we can do to prevent and cope with new maladies. Even if the book is no longer new, it still teaches a lot. We can learn from past mistakes. For me, parts read as a horror story. Then I calmed down. It first came out in 1994, and hey, we are still here! Did I become immune to the horror?! Or did it finally put me to sleep? In places, it sort of felt like a text book. My education was not adequate for a complete unders
Lobstergirl
Oct 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jim Inhofe
Shelves: own

We're screwed. The microbes are going to win. And make no mistake, climate change is going to accelerate our death spiral. (Though writing in the early 1990s, Garrett discusses the effects of global warming on pathogen populations and spread.)

One of the most fascinating things about this story is that we are drastically underestimating the number of deaths from microbes and pathogens. If we actually had public health departments that were funded and functioned properly, if we funded public healt
Stefanie
Aug 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
although it's now somewhat out of date, this remains far and away the most comprehensive and interesting book about diseases i've read. what sets this apart from the rest of the disease books on my shelf is the sheer amount of ground covered and how well it's presented. it doesn't particularly seem like it would be a fast read, yet it is.
Lisa Vegan
This is my kind of horror book. I think it scared me more than just about any other book I’ve ever read, but I loved it. I appreciated the author’s skillful and entertaining story telling and admired her scientific accuracy.

I can’t vouch that the information is current; I read this when it was first published. At the time it was pertinent and I can’t imagine that the basic theory (regarding epidemics) isn’t still valid. I’d continue to recommend this to anyone who’s interested in medicine, disea
Angela
This book terrified me.

If you think globalization and urbanization in distant places have had no ill effect on the quality of life on this planet, think again. We discover new diseases faster than we learn to treat them, and our current methods of treatment tend only to make the diseases stronger and more virulent. The author makes a grand case for a major change of mindset in funding not only medical research and health organizations, but also supporting basic human rights to safe living enviro
High Plains Library District
Want the skinny on Ebola? I mean, the answer to that is probably not because, frankly, it's kind of terrifying.

Let me put that a different way.

Want to hear actual facts and research about Ebola instead of news bites?

The Coming Plague was easily the best thing I read in library school. Yes, library school. Just examine that name for a second and guess how much reading a library school student does. And then remember that I said this was the best part of all that reading. Then have a snack because
Nick Black
pretty good. certainly thorough. "epidemic" is tossed around pretty liberally -- if a fever burns out a south american village, does it make a sound? poor editing, with numerous phrases and sentences repeated verbatim and certain acronyms expanded not at all, on late use, or multiple times. i'd like to have seen more on the virology and suppression of HIV and fewer tedious pages of stats and prediction histories. worth reading, though.
Jen Williamson
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably one of the most informative books I've ever read. Laurie Garrett's knowledge of public health issues, coupled with her keen ability to write in Lay Terms-- makes this somewhat dry (but necessary) information a whole lot more palatable. It's been 11 years since I originally read it, so time for another read.
AC
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this when it came out -- and thought it was brilliant. It seems not to have aged much, judging by recent reviews.
Carrie
Feb 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This woman is amazing. I would never have thought that I'd spend entire days reading an 800-page book about diseases...but I did, because Laurie Garrett is one of those rare scientists who can write captivating sentences. This book chronicles both the emergence of, and response to, historically important deadly diseases and the role of the CDC, other government agencies, and nasty scientist political maneuvering in the attempts to contain said diseases.

I also like this book because it's ev
Tim
A terrifying and humbling look at the manner in which human behavior is serving to intensify, spread and otherwise benefit viral and bacterial agents. Everything from anti-immunization efforts, prostitution, non-sterile hospital equipment, re-use of syringes, global warming, refugees, global animal trade, increased UV radiation, pollution... all make the world more hospitable to microbes, and less hospitable to humans. In an age when the most wealthy nation in the world can't agree to give healt ...more
Peter Derk
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book you can read about disease, and it was the best thing I read in library school. Seriously, all of library school. You can just imagine how many books you have to read for something called "library school."

Probably a more important read than ever, the Coming Plague talks quite a bit about Ebola, for one, and the different methods by which diseases can be fought, how difficult it is to eradicate a disease, and how often politics and science can't get on the same page.

Don't lo
~☆~Autumn♥♥
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own-it
My husband got this one for me when he was TDY to Boston years ago. It is right up my alley in what I like to read. I would like to have been a microbiologist. If you are also interested in microbes you will enjoy this book.
Cedar Sanderson
Oct 04, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Poorly researched.

I really wanted to like this book, and indeed, right up until I casually fact-checked a shocking number for an article I was writing, I was enjoying the depth of information about epidemiology. I'm a microbiology student who has been fascinated with parasitology and infectious disease for a very long time, so this seemed like it was right up my alley. And then I tripped over her facts - or rather, falsehoods. She claims, in the chapter "Microbe Magnets" that there were 500,000
Jennifer Beadle
Jul 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when it first came out and I was working in a biological chemical factory. This really hit home to me. We were in a way already dealing with some of the issues mentioned in the book. My job title at the time (my tongue-in-cheek title) was mad cow queen. I did research to verify the animal products we used and manufactured were bse-free.

You have to wonder what people who don't want universal health care are thinking. With so many people out of work and losing their health insura
Amber
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book truly is amazing and one of the most eye-opening books I have ever read. It explores every aspect of post Word War II diseases and their effects on humanity from a political, economical, and behavioral standpoint. While this is not a fast or easy read (I had a hard time getting through the last few chapters) it is well worth your time. Exploding with information. Fascinating.
Stacy Chance
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The title puts me off a little, because it sounds like it will be a doomsday alarmist proclamation about how we are creating and ignoring new diseases, and that new diseases are somehow "winning" the evolutionary "war". But in essence, it is a thorough look at how and why "new" diseases emerge and the fight that goes on against new and old diseases every day.
Mirosław Dworniczak
Mocna rzecz. Bardzo mocna. Tego się nie da czytać jednym ciągiem, bo za bardzo dołuje. Przebija wszystkie thrillery czy inne postapo. A co gorsza - to nie jest fikcja, to literatura faktu. Podziwiam mrówczą pracę autorki.
No a podsumowanie jest proste: nie należy pytać, czy wystąpi pandemia, pytać można tylko: kiedy.
Czy damy radę wszystko przewidzieć i przygotować się. Nie, nie ma szans.
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Bwahahahaha. I'll write a review for this one of these days. Read this in high school and it's remained on my shelves since. Recommended for people who think drowning in your own blood is strangely intriguing.

Don't read this if you're prone to hypochondria. Or have a tendency to google your symptoms.

Hemorrhagic fevers are awesome.
Meg
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 50-in-15, non-fiction
Nothing matters because we're all gonna die!!!!!!!
Robin
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Almost 20 years later, the FDA still refuses to restrict antibiotics and livestock feed.
Valerie
Written by a UCSC graduate, this book covers all of the many ways are actions contribute to the spread of disease vectors. Fascinating, scary and informative.
Chinook
Well, that’s terrifying. That poverty reduction is so incredibly key and is something that none with money is really interested in addressing pretty much dooms us all. But it is fascinating, hearing the tales of early scientific research into outbreaks, especially how many researchers studying infectious diseases and come down with symptoms device that maybe they’re just getting a cold.

It’s very detailed but very interesting. It definitely makes you want to wash your hands more thoroughly and m
Robert Sparrenberger
Written in the mid 1990’s this book follows transmittable disease over the last fifty years. Ebola, Aids, and a whole host of others are recounted medically but also how they affected countries politically as well as economically.

The information is still relevant but a few new chapters should be written to update the book.

Really interesting and worth your time.
Adam Ingram
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fantastic book
Liz
Jan 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-health
Overall, I enjoyed this book, but I think the three-star rating is justified for several reasons.

First, I want to focus on what I liked about Garrett's dense and detailed work. Garrett is a dedicated and specialized journalist. Her knowledge of not only the history but also the science in this historical book is impressive. Her chapter regarding the history of AIDS impressed me. I learned more in that one chapter about AIDS than any news article I have stumbled upon. Although the book is outdat
Mary Soderstrom
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laurie Garrett's book The Coming Plague: Newly Emerging Diseases in a World Out of Balance is nearly 20 years old but it offers very interesting background information about the first round of Ebola in Africa, plus important discussion of how diseases develop and spread. Garrett is now senior fellow for global health at the Council on Foreign Relations and a Pulitzer Prize winning science writer, as well as being an engaging writer.

I had read this book several years ago when doing research on so
James
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll first say: this book is LONG. Having it on my Kindle meant that I did not really understand how long this book would be. It is definitely a commitment.

Overall, it is terrifying. I would become a germophobe and start covering myself in anti-microbial hand sanitizers, but the germs will just evolve around it, become resistance, and kill me anyway. The best portions on this book are following the disease detectives from the CDC and other organizations as they investigated real-world outbreaks
As you watch the news... 4 30 Sep 05, 2015 09:16AM
  • Virus X
  • Virus Hunter: Thirty Years of Battling Hot Viruses Around the World
  • Beating Back the Devil: On the Front Lines with the Disease Detectives of the Epidemic Intelligence Service
  • Level 4: Virus Hunters of the CDC
  • Killer Germs: Microbes and Diseases That Threaten Humanity
  • Ebola
  • Deadly Feasts: Tracking the Secrets of a Terrifying New Plague
  • Panic in Level 4: Cannibals, Killer Viruses, and Other Journeys to the Edge of Science
  • Biohazard: The Chilling True Story of the Largest Covert Biological Weapons Program in the World--Told from the Inside by the Man Who Ran It
  • Flu: The Story Of The Great Influenza Pandemic of 1918 and the Search for the Virus that Caused It
  • Infections and Inequalities: The Modern Plagues
  • Lab 257: The Disturbing Story of the Government's Secret Germ Laboratory
  • Good Germs, Bad Germs: Health and Survival in a Bacterial World
  • Secret Agents: The Menace of Emerging Infections
  • The American Plague: The Untold Story of Yellow Fever, the Epidemic That Shaped Our History
  • The Viral Storm: The Dawn of a New Pandemic Age

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend
  • Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney
  • The Power Of Habit: Why We Do What We Do In Life And Business
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Loudest Voice in the Room: How Roger Ailes and Fox News Remade American Politics
  • The Storm of War: A New History of the Second World War
  • The Art of Power
  • Through My Eyes
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks
  • An American Childhood
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Making Toast
  • Under the Black Flag: The Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN
    $11.99 $2.99
“In 1982 President Ronald Reagan called for a war on drugs: by 1990 more men were in federal prisons on drug charges alone than had comprised the entire 1980 federal prison population for all crimes combined.” 1 likes
“In 1980 the Latin American nations collectively were receiving from their external creditors—major banks, the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank—about $11 billion more than they were losing in capital transfers back to wealthy-nation interests. But by 1985 these nations would be losing $35 billion more a year in capital transfers to North America and Europe than they received in loans and investments.41” 0 likes