Start by marking “The Villa” as Want to Read:
The Villa

The Villa

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  22,237 Ratings  ·  654 Reviews
A proud family's deadly secrets are exposed in this passionate tale of two rivals who, while toiling in the Napa Valley vineyards, discover they have much to learn-from each other, and about themselves.
Published March 19th 2001 by Jove Books

To ask other readers questions about The Villa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Villa

steph
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to steph by: Jess
I like this. A lot more then I thought I would. I usually try to avoid Nora Roberts because she's written so many and a lot of her books tend to be series/trilogies but I was recommended this one and as someone who has been to the vineyards of Napa Valley, I was much intrigued.

And this story was perfect. Before starting I didn't realize that Sophia and Tyler had known each other since they were kids, since their grandparents married 20 years ago. I didn't know that this story was going to have m
Ivana Azap Feješ
Still good one :)
Great descriptions, steamy love scenes and mystery...
Recommendations ;)
Beth
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Yiiiiiiiiiikes. There's a lot of plot here, and a lot of craziness happening at the same time, and in a way I wish there were less, and that Tyler and Sophie got more time. This is engrossing - it really is a complete world - but I just didn't like that world as much as others Roberts has created.
Rebecca
This book was like a 80's soap opera, and I couldn't stop reading. The beginning is a little overwhelming with the background and casts, but once the storyline gets underway, I devoured it. Tyler, like all NR heroes is amazing. I also appreciate the role reversal of Sophia and Tyler. I continue to love all things NR.
Carmun
Cumple perfectamente su función. Entretenido, ligero y ameno, por lo que es ideal para leer entre libros más densos.
ɴΘεɱí
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No se por donde empezar,me ha encantado,No quería terminarlo!!!
Una historia bien contada,que no solo se basa en un personaje concreto si no en varios,hace que tengas ganas de seguir leyendo para ver que sigue pasando.
Tiene momentos preciosos,otros que te dejan con la boca abierta como el final y un descubrimiento que no me esperaba para nada...Me enamorado del personaje masculino de Tyler y Maddy es muy tierna...Sophia es igual que su abuela Teresa que a pesar que parece muy recta y seca.cuando
Yvonne
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story.
María
May 22, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1 de 5 estrellas.
Lo mejor: El entorno entre viñedos, paisajes de California y paisajes italianos.
Lo peor: A esta novela le sobran como 150 páginas. Es como ver un telefilm de antenta 3 de los domingos pero de los que aburren. Al final tiene un pequeño punto de imprevisibilidad pero en general es super líneal, llena de tópicos, unos romances emapalagosos y con muchos aires de telenovela venezolana.
El personaje que más me ha gustado: Por decir uno, digo René, es la mala pero es la qua pone algo
Vanessa
It's very rare for me to find a Nora Roberts novel I don't like, but this is one. I didn't like the female lead character, Sophia, at all. Tyler was okay, but Sophia really grated on my nerves. I don't think she and I would ever have been friends in real life ... ;o)

Then there was Sophia's mother, Pilar, who remained a pale, flat character for most of the book. David was too pushy for my taste. He was good with his kids, but when he was with Pilar I just thought he behaved too agressively.

Norma
Ari
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really itching for a solid romance novel with a good plot and good character and this delivered!!! It has everything! Italian family dramatics, shady business drama, murder!, family dramatics, two really good relationships that are developed and explored, a family where the women run things! I almost wanted more from Sophie/Tyler, because their UST was so good, that I wanted the same for RST, but that's honestly the smallest of personal quibbles I have. It was a really satisfying read. Als ...more
Sandra
Nora Roberts, me has decepcionado.

Me esperaba muchísimo más de Las viñas de Napa Valley, sobre todo porque me he acostumbrado a que todos los libros de Nora Roberts me encanten, que la sinopsis no pintaba nada mal y que el tema de los vinos me resulta interesante. Parecía que iba para una nota de 5, y sin embargo se ha quedado en un 1'5.

La primera parte de libro me encató, de verdad que sí. Pero luego me aburría, porque el libro se centra mucho en la relación con Claudia y David y, sinceramente
Jane Stewart
It’s hard to like a story when I am irritated at the audiobook narrator.

The story would be better if reading the physical book. Don’t do the audiobook. The narrator Laurel Merlington ruins it. She didn’t give any warmth to the characters. It was as if they were giving orders all the time. Tyler was not sexy. I was tired of listening and just wanted it to be over. Aside from the narrator, the characters, events, and how things resolved were not as good as they could have been.

ABOUT THE NARRATOR L
Wendy
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a wine-lover with a sister who lives in northern California, I was naturally attracted to the Napa Valley setting of THE VILLA, my first from Nora Roberts. The merger between two winemaking families, Giambelli and MacMillan, seemed a smart and inevitable business move. How the players plan to work together and embrace this change is another issue. Sophia Giambelli and Tyler MacMillan have known each other since they were kids, their family's vineyards as the other's backyard. The formation of ...more
Junkie for the Written Word
So I got stuck in a library on a Girl Scout mission in a remote farming community this past week.

Now I'm not generally one to complain about being stuck in a library, but my job was to sit there and field questions for 3 hours from girls who were interested in joining Girl Scouts. GREAT! I know everything ever that needs knowing about Girl Scouts and I'm really going to entice these girls to join a troop!

Yeah, no girls showed up. And the library only had 5 books.

One of which was Nora Roberts "T
Erin
Aug 07, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I liked the book because it's not formula Roberts; it's a complicated story with a large cast and the plot unravels in a way that manages to not be too predictable. You know early on who the villain is, but the mystery is in his motivations and who he talks into being his accomplices. My only complaints: I didn't really like Sophia that much, which is a problem given she's the primary heroine. She was... abrasive. It's possible to be a strong woman without being bitchy, you know. I thought also ...more
Vickie
Ugh! The Villa is not the best work by Nora Roberts. The main characters, Sophia and Tyler, well, I would not be interested in sitting next to them at a dinner party. Perhaps it was all the information about vineyards, but I felt like I was reading the script of a 1980's mini-drama! Well, you win some and you lose some!!

Go Cards! L1C4!!
Sandra Sales
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
UAU!! Eu adoro a Nora Roberts, mas ela consegue sempre surpreender-me! Que história espetacular!!
Mafi
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, pt
Como fã da Nora Roberts é normal que já tenha lido inúmeros romances desta autora. Gosto de ler este tipo de livros, pois por mais que por vezes as histórias sejam semelhantes ou por vezes mesmo iguais (mudando apenas os nomes das persongens) a autora tem sem dúvida o dom de contar histórias e se quero ler um livro que não puxe muito por mim, os livros da Nora são os ideais

Este "A Villa" é um livro que enche perfeitamente as meididas que qualquer leitora que goste de um bom romance. A autora pel
Tina
Dec 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am an old time Nora Roberts fan who in recent years had pretty much stopped reading books written under her Nora Roberts name, but continued my devotion to her JD Robb books.

But slowly I started to pick up some of her titles again. As I began to read her stand alone titles, I remembered why I had let my reading of her NR books peter off. There was a sameness to the tone and rhythm of each book that began frustrate me as I read.

Luckily this book seemed to break the pattern. It is the story of
Anne Holly
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-away
It's not my favourite Nora Roberts potboiler, but it was readable enough.

I didn't care for the characters all that much - aside from my being bored by richy-rich soap families (especially ones who rant at creepy lengths about "blood lines" - yeech!), these people just weren't that likeable. The "Hero" was okay, but generally dull; the "B Plot Hero" was better, overall, but unattractively aggressive when it came to his "B Plot Heroine", who was dishwater. The "Main Plot Heroine" was, frankly, re
Jessi
Oct 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one that I do re-read quite a bit, just because it's pretty fluffy but does include some great motifs like blended families and having to let go of people who don't treat us well.
Sophia is the granddaughter of a famous winemaker. Her grandmother is a grand dame known to all as La Signoria. About twenty years ago, La Signoria married a rival winemaker. With him, came his grandson who has also carried on the MacMillan family business, working in the fields. Tyler has little need for t
Kjen
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nora never disappoints! Loved the romance between the couple...loved Ty's character, especially. The action/intrigue was excellent in this one and the side characters were also very strong. Maddy was so cool! Only Nora can be so vague in a love scene but still make the couple hot. I think it's so sort of weaving of emotion with sensuality thing. Then you add in the actions...little touches, verbal sparing, etc....outside the bedroom and you end up with a satisfying love story within an well wove ...more
BJ Rose
Maddy made this a 4* for me, and she's not even one of the 'heroines'!
Mónica Silva
Opinião no blog http://howtoliveathousandlives.blogsp...

Neste livro Nora Roberts brinda-nos com uma saga familiar, tendo como pano de fundo a cultura do vinho. Aqui aprendemos todo o processo da indústria vitivinícola, desde as técnicas de cultivo da uva até à venda do produto, englobando as vindimas, a produção do vinho, as sessões de prova, os rótulos e a publicidade… No fundo, uma abordagem completa e bem explorada acerca de uma temática muito interessante.

A narrativa alterna entre a Califórn
Giesela
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! It is now one of my Favourates
Ana Victoria
Sep 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carla Soares
Foi a minha estreia com Nora Roberts. O livro está bem escrito e não é aborrecido, parece-me que a autora sabe bastante de vinhas, as personagens fazem sentido e até consegui uma certa empatia com elas. A intriga está bem construída embora, depois da primeira morte, já não me tenha surpreendido mais (nem o pequeno twist agridoce no final).

Porquê três estrelas? Porque a partir de meio comecei a suspirar e desejar que acabasse - e é longo - e porque me fez lembrar, o tempo todo, de algumas séries
Anita
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have just completed a reread of The Villa and I love it as much this time around as I did the first time. The story holds up very well and doesn't show that it is 13 years old. The plot gives us several wonderful suspects and holds onto its' secrets until the very end. That is something that I really like. This is one of my favorite Nora Roberts books. It is on my all time favorites shelf and will definitely stay there. I am partial to NR's romantic suspense books and this one is awesome.

Sophi
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
It was a bit hard to keep the characters straight at first, but then flowed into an interesting take on a wine making family and all of their drama.
I must say that I found the romance between Pilar and David Cutter to be way more realistic and enjoyable than that of the main character, Sophia. The growing up together as almost siblings was strange and she just came on way too strong and both their reactions felt fake or unrealiistic.
Pilar and David's romance definately saved the book. It was
Susan
Jul 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to give this a 4-star rating, but couldn't because I didn't care for the ending (which I won't go into further detail as to not spoil the ending). I like Nora Roberts (and similar "chick-lit") for a quick-read, "palate-cleanser" between heavier reads. Despite the fact that she is considered a romance writer, I like the mystery elements of her stories (more like a Margaret Truman) and they aren't mushy or sticky-sweet romances (i.e., Danielle Steele, Harlequin, etc.). This story was righ ...more
Madison Mega-Mara...: #60 The Villa 1 1 Nov 11, 2016 01:06PM
Around the Year i...: The Villa, by Nora Roberts 2 15 Mar 16, 2016 09:15PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 5 14 Feb 01, 2016 07:35AM
Nora Roberts Grou...: The Villa (Sept. 2014 Book of the Month) 43 54 Nov 24, 2014 10:11PM
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Born in Death (In Death, #23)
  • Midnight in Ruby Bayou (Donovan, #4)
  • Summer in Eclipse Bay (Eclipse Bay Trilogy, # 3)
More about Nora Roberts...

“Não se pode confiar numa pessoa que nutr uma fé inabalável pelas aparências, e naquelas que se estão a borrifar, acabas por confiar demasiado.” 4 likes
“Stop
thinking of yourself as a reflection of what a man saw in you, andbe. I asked you if it bothered you that
people will talk. I wish you'd said the hell with people. Let them talk. It's time you gave them something
to talk about.”