Start by marking “The Fish Who Could Wish” as Want to Read:
The Fish Who Could Wish

The Fish Who Could Wish

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  112 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
He wished for a castle, He wished for a car

But one day he wished

just a little too far...
Published March 1st 1994 by Kane/Miller Book Publishers (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Fish Who Could Wish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fish Who Could Wish

Clouds
A few months ago my mother-in-law dropped off a huge box of kids books for Fin. My wife's youngest sibling is 12 years her junior, so while some of these books have been in the family since my wife was herself a wee nipper, many others are more modern - it's a pretty great spread of stuff.

There's not much mystery to this one - this title pretty much gives it away. This is a story about a fish who can wish. He wishes all kinds of crazy things, and the pictures to accompany those wishes are pretty
Sam
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is a rhyming book about a fish that is granted the power to wish for things (and the wishes always come true!), but the fish doesn't use his wishes wisely and ends up wishing away his power. The rhythm of the book makes the rhymes almost rap-like, and coupled with the striking illustrations, proved to be a hit in my year 1 class. A really good book for starting a discussion about thinking things through before acting.

I would definitely recommend it!
Nadine
May 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Ideal for KS1 or Reception, a colourful picture book. It tells the tale of a fish who could wish, who wishes for a castle, a car, a horse, a spanish guitar and to fly across the world. At the end the fish makes a "silly" wish, to be like all the other fish in the sea. To be like the other fish he loses his power to wish. A bright, colourful picture book.
Dancingsocks
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this book but my one year old is so disinterested. I'm hoping he'll grow into it!
Charlotte
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
‘The Fish who could wish’ written by John Bush and Korky Paul tells the story of an unusual fish who has the power to wish for anything he wants. The fish wishes for cars, castles and the ability to fly and all these wishes come true. Though this fish has the power to wish, he is not very wise and one day he wishes to be like the other fish in the sea. This is the last wish that comes true.

The book is written in rhyme and is great for reading aloud as it has a sing song rhythm. The book has lov
Gary Sangster
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Fish Who Could Wish is a great book for younger children (or adults who still have a younger child inside). In the book we meet a fish who has a magical power, he can wish for anything he wants to, he wishes himself a big castle, into space, into different shapes and even big enough to scare away a hungry shark. However eventually his great power goes to his head and he wishes that he was like every other fish and thus loses his power. Not only is the story dry and witty it is lovingly illus ...more
Laura Black
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is about- as the title suggests- a fish who can wish. He wishes for all manner of things until he wishes to be like every other fish in the sea, at which point he loses his wishing powers.
The moral of the story seems to be an obvious one: be careful what you wish for.
Beyond this underlying message, The Fish Who Could Wish is full of fun and would be appropriate to read to children in reception, though they probably wouldn't start to read it independently for at least another year.
I
Louise
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Fish Who Could Wish, by John Bush, gives an account of the life of a fish who's wishes all come true. He wishes to have 'castles and cars and spanish guitars'. The book illustrates an abab rhyming scheme which the children thoroughly enjoyed as the liked guessing what word the sentence would end with. The fish uses his wishes to escape being eaten by a shark, by wishing that he was a shark himself. Then one day, he made a silly wish to be a normal fish. He had forgotten that a normal fish co ...more
Carole
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-books-read
A not so ordinary fish in the sea has the gift to not only wish for something, but that it will immediately come true. He wishes for many things, but it is his last wish that has unforseen consequences.
Misty Kincade
Literary Awards:
N/A
According to AR
Book Level: 2.3
Interest Level: Lower Grades (K-3)

A beautifully designed picture book, "The Fish Who Could Wish" is ideal for read aloud or independent reading. The author takes us on an adventure with a fish who can wish for anything. Young children will be fascinated by the rhymes in this book and will be eager to discover the next wish the fish will make.
Ebookwormy1
Jul 19, 2008 rated it liked it
I don't know how we stumbled on this book, but it is a favorite. My son likes the action and illustrations, i like the moral: Wisdom is more important than things. A library multiple check out. Recommended.
Allison
This is a cute book with rhyming and bright, colorful illustrations that will keep children engaged throughout. The story has a moral that you should accept yourself for who you are, because differences are what make us special.
Sarah Adamson
Jul 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
2.5 *
I enjoyed the book but the ending was a bit abrupt in some ways although looking at it again, I think maybe we are left with the fish dreaming of other things.
A fun story about a fish who's wishes come true. Fun pictures and nice clear words for the early reader.
Candith
LOVE this book! The illustrations are vibrant and the story is insightful: be happy with who you are. We kept a family copy but have also given The Fish Who Could Wish to friends and family. I wish it stayed in print and available more often!
Stacie Graham
Dec 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I loved this book. It creates a great way to teach children the importance about accepting who we are as individuals and not compare each other.
Jul 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
a wishing fish found his unwise-self unable to wish anymore.
Husna
Jul 25, 2013 added it
the fish who could wish is a really nice
book i like it.
Elizabeth
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jp-2014, jp-st-ocean
Great rhyming, rhythm and pictures.
Rachel
Jan 01, 2017
Kelly
Feb 25, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Book Review 3 - The Fish Who Could Wish 1 2 Sep 05, 2014 04:42AM
UEL Primary PGCE ...: The Fish Who Could Wish - Review 3 1 4 Sep 04, 2014 01:51PM