Start by marking “The Dream Stalker (Wind River Reservation, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Dream Stalker (Wind River Reservation, #3)

The Dream Stalker (Wind River Reservation #3)

A white Jesuit priest and an Indian woman lawyer hunt for a murderer while keeping mutual attraction at bay. The setting is a Wyoming reservation mired in controversy over the sale of land for nuclear waste.
Published September 1st 1998 by Berkley (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Dream Stalker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dream Stalker

Spuddie
Aug 24, 2015 Spuddie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings about this series which features Vicky Holden, a Native American lawyer and Father John O'Malley, an Irish-American Catholic priest at a mission on the Wind River Reservation in Wyoming. The stories are interesting, but right from the beginning of the series you sort of knew there was going to be this massive sexual tension going on between the two main characters. For that reason--because I really, REALLY hate romance trying to disguise itself as mystery, or some other gen ...more
Donna
Mar 05, 2017 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Read for Maze mystery book group 3/7/17.

I'm very impressed with the use of setting in this series. The respect given to the Arapaho nation and its customs is commendable and I think the author reflects these well.

This mystery here is a bit weak and almost overwhelmed by the other events of concern to the characters. Some of the writing shows signs of this being a newish author -- in 1997.

I'm not sure what to make of Fr. John and Vicky. In some respects, I'd just like to know the outcome of th
Patty
Sep 16, 2011 Patty rated it really liked it
I enjoy Margaret Coel and the settings she uses for her Father John O'Malley series. I had a bit of trouble with this because of the relationship between Father John and Vicky Holden. I know it was meant to make people uncomfortable because the main players were uncomfortable but having been raised Catholic it probably bothered me more than someone who was not brought up in that culture.

The plot was fairly simple, Father John is called out one night to a remote (well, everything is pretty remote
Jan C
Recently finished listening to this, the third in the series. This series takes place on the Wind River Arapaho Reservation. Here they want to put in a nuclear waste dump on the Reservation. It appears there is one lone voice talking against it, Vicki Holden, Arapaho lawyer. The people for keep saying that they are talking "facts" and she is just trying to rouse the white protestors. So this opens the door for corruption.

It is difficult here to tell which is the back story and which is the fron
Roberta
Feb 21, 2013 Roberta rated it really liked it
Another good one by Margaret Coel. In this book, the attraction between Father O'Malley and lawyer Vicky Holden is more explicitly described; yet the reader knows, nothing is ever going to develop--it's a tease by the writer. Lots of action in this one. I especially loved the ceremony with the Medicine Wheel which gave Vicky the courage to do what she needed to solve several crimes. These characters were, as usual, good company on a day when we were snowed in.
Cybercrone
Dec 22, 2016 Cybercrone rated it it was ok
So far I've enjoyed this series. Though it's formulaic it has been relatively well done and remains fairly interesting.
However the behaviour of the lady lawyer is beginning to grate a lot so hope she straightens out in the next book or two.
Sandy Natale
Mar 17, 2017 Sandy Natale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Barbara
May 13, 2017 Barbara rated it really liked it
Love the characters & all the Indian history.
Cathy Cole
Aug 29, 2014 Cathy Cole rated it really liked it
Margaret Coel has a plot that immediately raises my hackles. If nuclear waste needs to be taken care of, it needs to be taken care of where it was created, not shipped off "out in the middle of nowhere" for other people to deal with. Same thing goes for junked electronics, or any other waste created by society anywhere around the world. This program of avoidance is rife with dangers, and Coel deals with them in fine fashion.

Once again it's Father John and Vicky who bring the story to life. Altho
Catsalive
Mar 19, 2015 Catsalive rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
With promises of new jobs and millions in revenue, the Wind River Reservation agrees to use their land for a nuclear storage site. But Arapaho attorney Vicky Holden is not willing to let this happen. And with help from Father John O'Malley, she sets out to protect the land and her people.

But someone involved wants to keep Vicky - and anyone else who stands in the way - quiet. When a man is murdered and two attempts are made on Vicky's life, she knows the stakes have been raised. Now Vicky and Fa
Carl Brookins
Feb 05, 2014 Carl Brookins rated it really liked it

This is a wonderful, well-handled, cautionary tale for the time. A big Chicago corporation has plans to build a nuclear waste storage facility on a ranch in the Wind River Reservation. Jobs, mega-bucks, prosperity, it all looms on the horizon for the Arapaho nation. So why do some of the tribal elders and an Arapaho attorney first hesitate and then oppose the plan? Some on the reservation insist the attorney, Vicky Holden, has gone over to the white world. Others wonder about her relationship wi
Barb
Aug 03, 2015 Barb rated it it was amazing
Margaret Coel's mysteries are rich and full of depth. Her vast knowledge of Arapahoe culture enriches her vivid imagination with plots based on the acrimonious relationships between the tribe and its white neighbors. In THE DREAM STALKER Father John O'Malley receives a phone call, but is too late to save the caller from murder. In the meantime, his friend, Vicky Holden is receiving death threats due to her vocal opposition to the building of a nuclear waste disposal in the center of the Reservat ...more
Chris Demer
Dec 23, 2015 Chris Demer rated it really liked it
Another entertaining novel about the goings on among the Arapaho. The mystery begins when Father John gets a cwho says he is dying and he know about a long ago murder where a man was killed by being hit on the head with a shovel. By the time Father John gets to the man, he is dead-by gun shot.

Maybe this is an old, sick and confused cowboy killed for his last paycheck, or maybe it is more complicated than that. Father John can't get him or his last words out of his mind.

A group of men have pres
Nancy
Oct 21, 2009 Nancy rated it liked it
Another fine mystery from Margaret Coel. This one centers on a proposed nuclear waste facility to be built on the Wind River Reservation. Lawyer Vicky Holden opposes this even though the tribal council sees it as a chance to bring much needed jobs to the area. Father John O'Malley is contacted by a mysterious caller. When Fr. John goes to meet the man, he finds only the corpse of an old Indian cowboy who has been brutally shot to death. Later a council member who was earlier contacted by the mur ...more
Mary Kay Kare
Oct 22, 2016 Mary Kay Kare rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
Won't be reading any more of Coel's books. The book centers around a possible nuclear waste storage facility, and one of our viewpoint character's fierce objections to same. Because the rods might get slammed all together in some highly unlikely disaster, starting a chain reaction resulting in either a meltdown or explosion. Um, no. That can't happen, not with spent fuel rods. It just can't. If she is so uninformed/misinformed about a major plot point how can I possible put any faith in any of t ...more
Maddy
Feb 16, 2014 Maddy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
PROTAGONIST: Father John O'Malley and lawyer Vicky Holden
SETTING: Wyoming
SERIES: #3 of 18
RATING: 3.0
WHY: Father John O'Malley runs the mission on the Arapaho reservation in Wyoming. There's a lot of conflict going on over a proposal to store nuclear waste on one of the local ranches. Many people are in favor of the idea since it will bring a lot of jobs to the area. Attorney Vicky Holden is vocally opposed, and faces life-threatening events as a result. There have already been 2 murders which se
Dawn
Nov 10, 2011 Dawn rated it it was ok
This is a series that I came back to after many years to find out if I still liked it. I came out of the experience with a solid ‘it was okay’.
The third in a series set on the Wind River Reservation of Wyoming, it starts with Father O’Malley receiving a phone call from a cowboy with something to tell and finding him shot in the cabin where they were to meet. It continues with attorney Vicky Holden campaigning against the storing of nuclear waste on the reservation.
For me, the two star rating c
Cheryl
Jul 21, 2008 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Father John O'Malley and Arapaho attorney Vicky Holden seem to become more attracted to each other in this third book in the series. Father John receives an anonymous phone call late at night from someone who wants to meet with him. When he arrives there, he finds a body who he is sure is the caller. Meanwhile Vicky is working to prevent a nuclear storage site planned for the reservation. As more people die, Father John is sure that Vicky will be next. The writer puts in abductions, car chases, ...more
Ed
Jul 21, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#3 in the Wind River Reservation series featuring Fr John O'Malley, pastor of St Francis mission on the Arapaho Wind River Reservation, and Vicky Holden, Indian lawyer.

Wind River series - Fr John O'Malley gets a midnight call asking him to come to a deserted shack. He finds the caller, an old Indian, has been shot to death. Vicky Holden has been stirring up trouble by opposing a lucrative deal to build a nuclear waste facility on reservation land. A tribal leader favoring the deal is shot like t
Sherrill Watson
Jan 19, 2014 Sherrill Watson rated it liked it
Father John O'Malley lives on the St. Francis Mission on the Wind River reservation. Also there is Father Geoff Schneider, a young and somewhat irresponsible recruit. There is also Vicky Holden -- an Arapaho lawyer.

What did Gabriel Many Horses have to do with a nuclear waste facility? How quickly does the moccasin telegraph spread news throughout the People? Will Father John get together with Vicky and leave the Mission behind? Will Father Geoff get the Mission and all it's programs solvent? Ca
Patricia
Jun 29, 2015 Patricia rated it liked it
Three stars for what it is: a quick, easy, fun read. I liked the setting (the Wind River Indian reservation) and the characters, although they sometimes reacted in ways that were utterly predictable and that suited the needs of the author's plot development efforts, were likable enough. The basic story line--the efforts for and against building a nuclear waste facility on the Rez--was interesting. It was a good book to have for a weekend in 110*F weather (with the house temp at 85), as reading i ...more
Annie
Apr 17, 2012 Annie rated it liked it
I have recently picked up Margaret Coel's Wind River series. I am enjoying the flawed Father John and the tough Vicky -- I think the dynamic that Coel has set up is intriguing. While I enjoyed this book, it was not outstanding for me. I felt at times it labored on and did not pick up until the end.

I do like learning about the Arapaho Indians and their culture. I would recommend this series.
Wanda
Mar 26, 2016 Wanda rated it liked it
The death of a drifter on the reservation has people asking questions about who he was and why he was killed. Meanwhile there is controversy about building a dump for nuclear waste. Vicky is active in speaking out against it and has been receiving threats. Father John is trying to figure out why the drifter had been on the reservation and how he feels about Vicky and what to do about it.
Tribal politics along with greed are involved.
Stephanie Tanton
Nov 27, 2016 Stephanie Tanton rated it really liked it
This series features mysteries set on the Arapaho reservation in Wyoming with a mission priest and a native lawyer as the main characters and love interest.

A nuclear waste site is scheduled for the reservation raising dissention between cultural beliefs and the hope for more jobs. The lawyer, Vicky Holden, puts her life in danger as she uncovers the corruption behind the project.
Permies.world
Sep 18, 2013 Permies.world rated it really liked it
Just finished this last night and am already reading book 4. She weaves a good story. Keeps the subplots interesting without being confusing. Manages to tie everything up at the end with believable conclusions. The heroes have weaknesses without making them irritating. The villains aren't immediately identifiable. Another thumbs up.
Janice
Mar 11, 2013 Janice rated it really liked it
Someone recommended this author because I like Craig Johnson. I discovered, to my amazement, that I'm originally from the neck of the woods that the stories revolve around. So glad it was mentioned. It was a good story about obscure towns in Wyoming that I'm very familiar with, and a good story to boot, can't beat that. I will read another.
Kathleen O'Nan
Apr 11, 2016 Kathleen O'Nan rated it liked it
The 3rd in the series, this hits on the controversy that many Native American reservations have had to deal with: promises of big cash in exchange for use of the land for dangerous radioactive metals storage. Handled well, better in fact than the stifled romance between Native lawyer and Irish American priest.
Nancy Rogan
Apr 13, 2013 Nancy Rogan rated it liked it
First book I've read in this series and I enjoyed it. The mystery was engaging and the characters interesting although the relationship between the priest and Vicky is not very believable. A Catholic priest that obviously in love with a woman in the community would be reported very quickly by some dissatisfied parishioner or citizen. I will read more of these.
Linda Carroll-Bradd
Jul 14, 2014 Linda Carroll-Bradd rated it really liked it
Supporting each other in their suspicions of a proposed development on the Wind River Reservation, Father O'Malley and attorney Vicky Holden put themselves right in the line of fire. I enjoy how the well-described setting becomes part of the plot.
Morrigan
Jul 06, 2012 Morrigan rated it it was amazing
I really like Margaret Coel and look forward to reading her books. She writes on the same line as Tony Hillerman although she has her individual style. This book was very absorbing and well worth the time.
  • Cry Dance
  • The Shaman's Game
  • Death Walker (Ella Clah, #2)
  • The Dark Wind (Leaphorn & Chee, #5)
Margaret Coel is the New York Times bestselling, award-winning author of the acclaimed novels featuring Father John O'Malley and Vicky Holden, as well as several works of nonfiction. Originally a historian by trade, she is considered an expert on the Arapaho Indians.
More about Margaret Coel...

Wind River Reservation (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Eagle Catcher (Wind River Reservation, #1)
  • The Ghost Walker (Wind River Reservation, #2)
  • The Story Teller (Wind River Reservation, #4)
  • The Lost Bird (Wind River Reservation, #5)
  • The Spirit Woman (Wind River Reservation, #6)
  • The Thunder Keeper (Wind River Reservation, #7)
  • The Shadow Dancer (Wind River Reservation, #8)
  • Killing Raven (Wind River Reservation, #9)
  • Wife of Moon (Wind River Reservation, #10)
  • Eye of the Wolf (Wind River Reservation, #11)

“road jogged west. Another mile, and he pulled up in the” 0 likes