Start by marking “For Those Who Can't Believe: Overcoming the Obstacles to Faith” as Want to Read:
For Those Who Can't Believe: Overcoming the Obstacles to Faith

For Those Who Can't Believe: Overcoming the Obstacles to Faith

The distinguished rabbi of one of America's largest congregations offers a welcoming view of Judaism that will inspire the believer and the non-believer alike.
Published August 4th 1995 by Harper Perennial (first published September 1994)

To ask other readers questions about For Those Who Can't Believe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Those Who Can't Believe

Start your review of For Those Who Can't Believe: Overcoming the Obstacles to Faith
Reese
Sep 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Harold M. Schulweis' FOR THOSE WHO CAN'T BELIEVE is not, I believe, "for those who can't believe." It is for those who are searching for meaning in rituals, for interesting ways of exploring tough questions, for opportunities to be part of a community, for a religious identity that is more clearly defined than waves of spirituality. The material that informs Schulweis' work comes primarily, though not exclusively, from Jewish sources; but to appreciate the book, one need not be a nonobservant Je ...more
Kaiti
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: jewish
This started out strong, but it feels like it lost its way in the last 2/3rds or so. I don't think it ultimately accomplished what it set out to, though it's well-written and interesting nonetheless.
Michael Doyle
This book struck me as a kinder, gentler version of Kushkoff's "Nothing Sacred." Whereas Kushkoff calls for a completely humanistic Judaism (but refuses to call himself a Reconstructionist Jew), Schulweis allows an eternal/constant God to stay remain in Judaism. He covers similar ground to Kushkoff, including reframing prayer, ritual, miracles, conscience, the nature of God, and the revelation of the Torah in a manner understandable to skeptical modern sensibilities.

The big difference--and the
Sheffy
Mar 21, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was recommended by our rabbi as one of the books on Judaism to prepare us for our wedding. At first I strongly resonated with it- as the target audience of someone who couldn't accept the God of the bible, but doesn't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. It proposes a middle ground and says it's OK to question. It is worthwhile to read, yet at times, the anecdotes meander and seem unneccessary. But in the end, I found it didn't really answer questions and I was not completely ...more
David
Mar 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2009
I really enjoyed a lot of the author's interpretations of what faith and religion can be for people who have a hard accepting them. I found these arguments and the book's style similar to Harold Kunsher's, but I find Kushner to be more modern or liberal (this author continually refers to God with male pronouns). Though it wasn't one of my favorite books to read, I found it overall useful in my investigations into religion.
Margueritte
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"I have come to know many believers with profound doubts and many unbelievers with deep yearnings for serious questions."

Don't waste your time reading my review --just read this book. Right now. I'll wait...
Jared
Jan 21, 2008 is currently reading it
Shelves: spirituality
This has been really interesting and engaging. Too bad I don't have more time to sit with this. It's also suffered from new additions to my collection, pushing this down the list.
Sue
I skimmed the book today. Thoughtful, well-written, but really not much that I didn't already know. The book was published in the mid-90s.
Dolores Wendland
Sep 08, 2016

• Imagine: A Vision for Christians in the Arts
  • What Jesus Meant
  • Grand Old Party: A History of the Republicans
  • The Soul of Politics: Beyond "Religious Right" and "Secular Left"
  • The Conclave: A Sometimes Secret and Occasionally Bloody History of Papal Elections
  • Where They Ain't: The Fabled Life and Untimely Death of the Original Baltimore Orioles, the Team That Gave Birth to Modern Baseball
  • Saving Capitalism: For the Many, Not the Few
  • Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls
  • Tinker to Evers to Chance: The Chicago Cubs and the Dawn of Modern America
  • Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1: The Faust Act (The Wicked + The Divine, #1)
  • Jerusalem: The Biography