Start by marking “Before the Pyramids: Cracking Archaeology's Greatest Mystery” as Want to Read:
Before the Pyramids: Cracking Archaeology's Greatest Mystery

Before the Pyramids: Cracking Archaeology's Greatest Mystery

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  129 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The acclaimed coauthors of the thought-provoking "Civilization One" and "Solomon's Power Brokers" take readers on a gripping excursion into ancient religion and its direct relationship to astronomy. Thrillingly, Christopher Knight and Alan Butler establish conclusively that even before the last ice age an advanced civilization existed that had knowledge of Megalithic and m ...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Watkins (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Before the Pyramids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before the Pyramids

Louise Leetch
Dec 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great stuff. Stone Age man had a pendulum and with it he could track the stars, predict comets, eclipses and follow a 366 day year, all in 9500 BC. Not too shabby. These two authors are more in the engineering mode but did wonderful research, citing archaeologists, mathmaticians and egyptologists. Neat connections to the Freemasons. Makes Dan Brown look boring.
Cameluta
May 02, 2012 rated it liked it
RATING: 3.5 stars

Mr. Knight & Butler try to solve some mysteries of the Megalithic era ... and their solutions and explanations seem reasonable, and might be correct. The book gives you a chance to ask your own questions and think outside of the box.

For me the title was a little deceiving; I didn’t know anything about the book when I picked it up and I expected to read about pyramids. Don’t take me wrong, the book is interesting and definitely worth reading, but the pyramids represent only
Jonathan Martin
Knight and Butler clearly did a great deal of research and are passionate about their findings. The idea that Neolithic humans had a system of measurement that they used to construct megalithic sites is interesting. But I'm still unsure as to what would've inspired ancient man to create pendulums, measure the rising of stars and constellations and then construct vast complexes of stone circles, henge's and various other places of worship on Earth. The authors strive to validate their research wi ...more
Sarah Crawford
Jan 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is perhaps one of the most boring books I have ever read dealing with pre-Egyptian civilizations. The vast majority of the book deals with the author defending his view of something called the megalithic yard. He ties this into the building of Stonehenge, various other henges, the pyramids and even Washington, D.C. This part of the book just comes across to me as someone defending their view on something and going on and on about how right they are.

It's not necessary. This entire portion of
John Walters
Sep 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Another book in the style of Von Daniken, with little on actual facts and much on supposition, despite the mass of tedious numbers.
Freemasons, Roslyn Chapel, Pyramids, Stonehenge probably attract more writers than any other subject, and while they hint at an ancient civilisation with arcane knowledge, none comes up with any actual knowledge useful to us in today's world.
The story of the Megalithic yard is well known and there is a BBC programme written and produced by Magnus Magnusson who actua
Julian Hadlow
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The authors present their case for high civilisations more ancient than the pyramids. They follow on from the work of Thom who rediscovered the Megalithic Yard and show that this measurement and other associated ones were used in Ancient Britain well before the construction of the pyramids in Egypt.

They contend that Thornborough Henge and others in the UK form the basis for a system the Egyptians used to construct their pyramids.

It is an interesting read, and I have to agree that there must have
Michael Huang
Interesting info on megalithic metrics. Intriguing measurements of Washington DC. But, way, WAY too much pseudoscientific deductions that "prove" things. They authors apparently have no conception of rejecting the null hypothesis and stuff like that.

There's also too much "the academics didn't play nice" almost to the point of "I want my mommy". All these leave a bad taste in your mouth and perhaps makes you fully sympathetic towards those people who ignored them.

Does the coincidences of megalit
John Bentley
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a time before the pyramids and a mankind at the time who gave us the knowledge we have now which we have in no small part forgotten. Were they the original homo-sapiens from which all things stem? Well researched and informative, particularly about the "henges" of Britain and Europe and their purpose as astronomical bases for mans' interconnect with alien life, perhaps better known to man ten thousand years ago than today. If you want to know who we are and how we might have got here t ...more
Brian Hull
May 25, 2011 rated it really liked it

This book was interesting and intellectual. I love learning about this stuff all over again. But my book reading pet peeve #1 was compromised again in this selection. On page 123, another mistake was missed. It says "Khufu" twice at the top of the page instead of saying what the text should have said which is, "Khafre," to detail this paragraph. How can these publishers and proof readers let this stuff go unnoticed? I see it right away while reading, why can't they? That's their job to correct
Davin
really interesting. especially the interesting parts.
  • Gateway to Atlantis: The Search for the Source of a Lost Civilization
  • The Egypt Code
  • Lost Star of Myth and Time
  • From Atlantis to the Sphinx
  • The Atlantis Blueprint: Unlocking the Ancient Mysteries of a Long-lost Civilization
  • The Lost Civilizations of the Stone Age
  • The Message of the Sphinx: A Quest for the Hidden Legacy of Mankind
  • Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings: Evidence of Advanced Civilization in the Ice Age
  • Serpent in the Sky: The High Wisdom of Ancient Egypt
  • The Hidden History of the Human Race: The Condensed Edition of Forbidden Archeology
  • The Dance of Time: The Origins of the Calendar: A Miscellany of History and Myth, Religion and Astronomy, Festivals and Feast Days
  • Ancient Egypt: The Light of the World
  • Empires of Time: Calendars, Clocks, and Cultures
  • Suns of God: Krishna, Buddha and Christ Unveiled
  • Lost Cities and Ancient Mysteries of South America (Lost Cities Series)
  • Forbidden Faith: The Secret History of Gnosticism
  • The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors: Christianity Before Christ
  • Maya Cosmogenesis 2012: The True Meaning of the Maya Calendar End-Date
Christopher Knight, born in 1950, has worked in marketing, advertising, and public relations. He joined the Freemasons in 1976 and grew interested in studying their rituals and history, which led to Knight writing the bestselling The Hiram Key. He has continued his study of rituals through time.

More about Christopher Knight...