Start by marking “Be Careful What You Wish For” as Want to Read:
Be Careful What You Wish For

Be Careful What You Wish For

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  14,557 Ratings  ·  281 Reviews
Heather Hamilton is always wishing for things. Not just big stuff like world peace or a date with Brad Pitt, but little, everyday wishes, made without thinking. One day she buys some heather from a gypsy and suddenly her bad hair days stop, and a handsome American answers her ad for a housemate, and she starts seeing James.
Published January 2nd 2006 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Be Careful What You Wish For, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Careful What You Wish For

Tea Jovanović
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A onda kao treću njenu knjigu pročitala ovu... I zaključila da njeno pisanje sazrelo, da je knjiga dobro i da upravo s ovim naslovom treba da počne s objavljivanjem u Srbiji... I onda sam se bacila na sve svoje uredničko-ubeđivačke moći da je Laguna objavi... I posle nekoliko dana natezanja, nisam uspela da ubedim gazdu... I onda ju je godinu dana kasnije objavio uspešno Alnari... :)
Alexandra
Dec 10, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This was the first romantic comedy I wrote that had that touch of magic. It was so much fun to write. Thinking of all the tiny little things I wish for every single day... it's quite incredible... and it really did make me realise that I needed to be careful what I wish for!
Norah Una Sumner
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: chick lit lovers
Real rating : 4.5

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT THIS HAPPENED.ALEXANDRA TWEETED ME.I'M IN HEAVEN.

description

So,this is my second Alexandra Potter book and I love it!Like the last one I read,this one is a chick-lit with a touch of fantasy.Great characters who definitely develop a lot by the end of the book.The ending is great,too.I love the fact that Heather turns down her job at Sunday Herald when she thinks that she didn't get it because of her talent.I personally love to know that my hard work paid off and is app
Shannon
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
This book is amazing! The story is really fairytale like and yet so realistic, that is just insane. I love how the story unfolds and they way Heather wishes for things we all wish for sometimes. Oh and I might have a little crush on Gabe, he sounds like the perfect boyfriend
Ena Hasečić
4.5

Veoma dobar chick-lit roman koji daje odgovor na pitanje "Da li nas zaista usrećuje kada dobijemo sve što želimo?" :)
M
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
But when wishes start coming true, what do you wish for? You can have anything, but are those things good for you? You never know till you actually try it out. And then probably along the way you find out it's not all that. An idealistic wish is just that - maybe when it translates to reality it's not really something you'd want.

Heather is our leading lady. Heather, lucky Heather. Heather gets lucky, gets happy, and comes to terms with the reality of wishes coming true.

But when things start to c
Sara
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Ok, I give up. It’s official, I don’t like Alexandra Potter as an author. She has great ideas as plots go, but then the delivery is awful. This book was no different.
It was slow paced; it took a while for me to get into it, and loads of will power not to quit it altogether. I had to skip-read a bit towards the end, when a useless and page-wasting family tragedy takes place, in order to finish the book.
The general feeling I got from this book was meh.
There are also three general line of writing t
Martha
Absolutely amazing!!!! :D It's a book I've read over and over again and yet I still love it. Highly recommended if you want some light, funny, feel-good reading :D
Raven and Beez
Jul 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Read on the blog!!

A classic Alexandra Potter. Somehow she takes one idea and turns it into a book! Alexandra Potter is the ultimate chic lit. Her books have ways of being incredible fun and insightful and eye opening. The moral of this book is in its title, Be careful what you wish for. I mean its no secret that every time I see a pair of pretty shoes(or anything) I wish I could have them(I know you do too). And its not that I don't want all my wishes to come true, all I'm saying is that if they
Antagonistkinja
Supposing I won't like this at all, judging by the cheesy title, I still read it out of politeness because I got it as a present. As I read a couple of pages, I couldn't believe that someone actually sees this as literature. It seems as someone wrote this book just to make a joke.

As someone who passed the age of twelve, I couldn't see how this could be taken seriously by anyone pass that age, but sadly I've seen grown woman reading Alexandra Potter. It may seem as cruel but I find this writer aw
Liv (Оља)
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've been looking at my favorites shelf recently and thought that I should probably explain why this one ended up there, since I am really not one to read chick lit and enjoy it in such huge amounts that I would give a 5 star rating (not to say that chick lit is bad or that I can't enjoy it that much, just that it doesn't necessarily happen).
This was something I read when I was fairly young and not that much into reading in general. I was maybe eleven when I got this as a birthday present, whic
Winna
Jul 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chicklits
Be Careful What You Wish For.

Heather is quite an unlucky girl. She wishes to have some luck, at least once in her life. And then she buys heathers from an old gypsy down the street - and miracles start to happen.

Ceritanya lucu sih.. very chick-lit, almost a Sophie Kinsella style. But Potter definitely has her own charms, giving readers twists and turns to make us want to read till the last page.

A brilliant read if you have free time, lazying on the couch with a bunch of snacks.
Bennetelizabeth
Feb 12, 2016 rated it liked it
3,5⭐ ...more
Lightrainbow
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Уморительная книга. Легкая, простая, смешная и не лишенная смысла. Отличный способ отвлечься и приятно провести время. После прочтения остаются очень приятные ощущения, будто поболтал с хорошей подружкой. И даже некая мистическая составляющая была к месту и не вызывала ощущения нереалистичности. С удовольствием почитала бы у нее что-нибудь еще.
Miaoxiaoyan
Sep 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
What a girl wants isn't always what a girl needs...

I wish I could meet a perfect man for my Mr. Right.
  I wish I had bought that lottery ticket, otherwise I would have won the biggest prize.
  I wish...

We are always making wishes, big or small, about the past or about the future... even though we know most of them are seldom achieved.

Heather Hamilton is always wishing for things as well. In Alexandra Potter's book "Be Careful What You Wish For", this 30-something girl used to make l
tutut indah widyawati
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the first English Book Novel that i read. By reading this just like reading our own story as a girl because the same feeling occurs in every girls' life.
And here are some quotations i got from this whole novel..

"Life is full of experiences.. One has finished but that only means another is about to begin.."

"If you like someone, why can't you call straight way?? Why can't you be honest and say how you feel??"

"I think the perfect man does exist.. He's just different from different people.."
Nina Draganova
Да, определено трябва да внимаш какво си пожелаваш.
Не е чудно ако се случи.
Личи си , че това и е първи опит с този тип книги.
Малко е недодялана.
Но има и какво да научиш.
Преди всичко да бъдеш себе си.
Няма нито идеални хора, нито идеален живот.Колкото по-рано го осъзнаеш, толкова по-добре ще си живееш.
И няколко свежарски идеи и мисли успях да си запазя.
"За нея намирането на мъж е като купуването на автомобил втора ръка.Година на производство,хубав силует,телефонът на предишния собственик,може ли д
Anna
Nov 08, 2011 rated it liked it
AAAHHHH THIS WAS SO CUTE!!!!!! Possibly one of the cutest endings ever :D I LOVE GABE <3
Lina
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Funny, interesting, a little too fast forward in the end but the topic was creative and I just wish...Ops! Never mind...
AndRea
3,5*
Čo by ste si priali, keby ste mali istotu, že sa vám to hneď aj splní?
Svetový mier? Vynájsť liek na rakovinu? Precestovať svet?
Alebo by ste si priali zo začiatku len také malé veci ako Heather.... mať miesto na parkovanie, voľnú cestu, upravené vlasy, zhodiť tri kilá?

Nemusela som pri tom vôbec rozmýšľať, stačilo prevracať stránky, vžiť sa do Heather a už sa len smiať sa na všetkých blbostiach, čo povyvádzala. Ak máte radi nedokonalé hlavné hrdinky, ktorým sa lepí smola na päty, tak túto si z
krisy
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book I managed to finish on my Kindle. Seems like getting a e-reader wasn't that much of a bad decision.

It was nice, it was lighthearted, and made me snort and make weird faces while reading it in front of other people. It also made me realize that I wasn't really right about the chicklit genre being my kind of thing - not that I would abandon it, but I doubt that I'll read sweet girly prose as often as I thought I would.
Amaal Ibrahim
Aug 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
قصة هيذر هاميلتون التي لاتكفّ عن تمنّي ليس الاشياء العظيمة فقط بل ابسط الامنيات إلى أن تشتري نبتة الحظ التي قلبت حياتها إلى الحياة المثالية وحققت ابسط...moreقصة هيذر هاميلتون التي لاتكفّ عن تمنّي ليس الاشياء العظيمة فقط بل ابسط الامنيات إلى أن تشتري نبتة الحظ التي قلبت حياتها إلى الحياة المثالية وحققت ابسط ماتتمنى. لكن السؤال: هل كل ماتممناه البنت هو ماتريده فعلاً؟!

مفردات الرواية غريبة قليلاً لمن تعوّد على الروايات الامريكية لكن هذا مايمنع من التمتع بها بصحـبة dictionary
Jenna Suvi
Jul 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I usually love A.P books, but this time I simply have no idea why.. But I wasn't that convinced. I kept on losing my concentration and wanted to start reading something else. Maybe it was the level of cliches, maybe the predictability, but Heather's character left me a bit colder than A.P protagonists usually do. But being a fan, I still like her style of writing and how she captures the English urban vibe from a young woman's perspective. Heather's struggles finance- and career-wise felt real.
AMASHI
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Okay. It was a good story. The begining seemed monochrome but things got interesting soon after Heather purchased lucky Heather. Gabe is my favorite character. He's very normal and easy going. I loved James when I read Heather's description about him but realized that he's surreal soon after they started to date each other.
I'm happy with the way things ended.
Stefanie
Oct 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
This was my first book by Alexandra Potter and I didn't like it. I even put it aside at page 104!
I don't like Jess at all. She's selfish, obsessed with any guy she sees and she likes to hear herself talk.
And Heather is a bore. I didn't want to read this book and I'm not sorry I didn't read it until the end.
Isabella
Nov 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romagic, magic
This book was so slow that it almost put me off reading... it took me forever to finish it!
The wishes were lame... and I hate when the men are labelled too perfect in books... I can't stand reading about women annoyed that they receive too many flowers or get bored with too much foreplay... not my cup of tea!
Ana
May 27, 2012 marked it as abandoned
Shelves: borrowed, chick-lit
Boring, boring, boring. Thought it would be better. Seemed to get better at one point. And then it crashed and burned, all within 20 pages. I won't find time again to read this book once more. Sorry, Potter.
Alice Turner
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite-books
Loved this book, actually got really excited to keep reading. This book reminds us that we should appreciate everything that we already have. Instead of wishing for more, when really we have it all already. Made me chuckle more than a few times too. 5*
Tini Abdullah
Oct 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
A very simple story but funny. Can actually guess the story from the title. Wish Alexandra Potter could use less F**k words the it would be a better read. Too much F**k makes it irritating to read.
  • The Love of Her Life
  • The Nearly-Weds
  • Heaven Can Wait
  • Fairytale of New York
  • The Nanny
  • Chasing Daisy
  • Playing James
  • Getting Away with It
  • Katy Carter Wants a Hero (Katy Carter, #1)
  • Seeing Stars
  • Holly's Inbox (Holly's Inbox #1)
  • A Girl Like You
  • Little White Lies
  • A Spring Affair
  • The Single Girl's To-Do List
  • Alphabet Weekends
  • Thinking Of You
  • The Truth About Melody Browne
Alexandra Potter is the best-selling author of ELEVEN novels that can be described as romantic comedies with a magical twist. Born in England, she has lived in London, Sydney, Australia and New York and LA, and can currently be found clocking up too many air miles travelling the globe researching ideas for her new book...
instagram: alexpotterbooks
More about Alexandra Potter

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
  • The Yard Rose
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken, Not Spurred (Lone Star Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Down a Dream: A Blessings Novel
  • The Pursuit of Love
    $11.99 $1.99
  • At Wave's End
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Mr. Right (Colorado Hearts #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Riding the Storm (ACRO, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Had to Be Him (It Had to Be #1)
  • The Love Goddess' Cooking School
    $10.99 $2.99
  • That Way Again
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Never Let Go (Haven, Montana #2)
  • All the Way from Texas
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forever Surprised (Forever Bluegrass #6)
    $2.99 $1.49
“consider the implications. We think we know what we want, but we can never really know until we've got it. And sometimes when we have, we discover we never really wanted it in the first place - but then it's too late” 33 likes
“just in case" is the curse of packing” 15 likes