Start by marking “War Junkie” as Want to Read:
War Junkie

War Junkie

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  178 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Jon Steele is a war junkie. Soon after starting work as an ITN cameraman, he began to feel strangely at home in the kind of places ordinary people get evacuated from. Before long, he was living for the rush which comes as bullets fly past your head and bombs explode at your feet. Normal life just couldn't compete...

In Georgia, Jon filmed on the last flight out of the besie
Published June 2nd 2003 by Corgi (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about War Junkie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War Junkie

Jeanne Supin
Jan 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: better-world
Early one Saturday morning when I was ten one of my dad's parishioners rode his bicycle with his infant son over for breakfast. Apparently I was the only one awake, answering the door in my jammies with sleep still in my eyes, and we talked a good while, watching his son play. I kinda remember the morning, or more accurately, I remember the wide front porch, the part of our circular gravel drive where he undoubtedly parked his bike and the way the early morning sun cast gold and silver light thr ...more
Wendy
Jan 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Real people real places, certainly a tribute to brave war journos. The book is fast paced, haunting and punctuated with humour - quite an unlikely combination but that's what makes it a page turner. Don't snack while you read this book..you'll feel too guilty to swallow!
Troels
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jon Steele takes you into a sinister world were the story means everything, but comes with a high price that will take the people reporting from the various disasters around the world to the breaking point or sometimes their death.
Despite the seriousness of the topic Steele makes you turn every page in search for what drives a man to the length that Steele goes after a story and also for the adrenaline kick you can almost feel jumping out from the pages.
Darkpool
Aug 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who are not afraid of reality
Heard the author interviewed on the radio, and knew I had to read the book. Managed to get it from the library, and once I read it I went looking for a copy to buy. Totally blew me away. An intimate look at some of the really awful international news stories from the end of last century. I found this quite unputdownable.
Natalie Pavlis
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The horror and death that Jon Steele has witnessed is unbelievable. His eyewitness accounts of the horrors of Rwanda, Russia, have to be read to be believed. A riveting and horrifying read. Also some first hand observations of General Dallaire that made me admire and respect him even more than before.
Cybercommando
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I am not a fan of lengthy descriptions of surroundings nor chapter long dives into the history of a certain place before getting to the story. By the time the author describes the 14th tree in the park and how it swayed in the wind, I'm fast asleep. But I do need a certain amount of prose that isn't dialogue.

This book is mostly dialogue along the lines of:

"WTF was that?"
"Oh my god"
"Get down"
CRASH
"Did you see that?"
"Run over there"
BOOM
CRASHHHH
"Let's run over to that hotel"
etc. etc. page after pa
Nelda Hazelhurst
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5
Tyler Bigney
Sep 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
One of the rare books I've started, but could only make it 50 pages in before giving up. Jon Steele isn't a writer, at least, not a very good one. First rule of writing : show don't tell. This book is all tell. The descriptions run flat . To describe mortar shelling he uses the words "KACRASH!" . There's no character development at all. To make sure I was making the right decision in giving up the book I flipped ahead to page 333 and found the word "KACRASH" again.

If you want a good war reporte
Lee
Jul 04, 2014 rated it liked it
A sometimes humorous and sometimes very harrowing account of life behind the lens as a news cameraman covering some of the world's worst war zones. At times I felt that there was a little too much focus on the anecdotes about his and his crazy friends' mad antics, whereas I'd have preferred a little more background details about the events they were covering. But for the most part I found this book exciting, and at times heart-wrenching, and I think it is well worth reading.
Daniel Mork
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
This is one of the most brutal books I've ever read, the part that makes is worse is that it's based on what John Steele actually witnessed and not just fiction.

John Steele brings you with him on his journeys and you really feel like you're a part of the story, how he manages to really capture the visual with words is really amazing.

Without doubt worth a read.
Bernhard Riegler
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nachtwey, Capa & Co always were my heroes. But I have to admit that I am not made of this stuff. Steele describes his incredible experiences as news-cameraman in the worst places on Earth and the resulting haunting nightmares in a great way. His fine sense of humor makes the reading despite all the horror a pleasure.
Gea
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
ma lugesin seda raamatut oma kuu aega, mõne lehekülje kaupa, kuna ei suutnud suuremat doosi korraga vastu võtta. hirmus, hirmus, mida inimesed üksteisele teevad. ja meie vaatame uudistest lõiku, sööme samal ajal võileibu ning unustame nähtu kohe. kas tõesti võitsid võitluse heade ja langenud inglite vahel tegelikult viimased?
Dreamingpermits
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is plain old amazing. The imagery used is so powerful it makes you feel as if you're there in Rwanda running for your life. This book is anything but a deterrent for young photographers looking to become war time journos.
Eli Laks
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
awseome, and he lived to tell about it.
Galindo
Apr 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
The synopsis of this book says it all.
L. Tait
Feb 24, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot: A Photographer's Chronicle of the Iraq War
  • Unreasonable Behaviour: An Autobiography
  • The Real "Bravo Two Zero"
  • Soldier Five: The Real Truth About The Bravo Two Zero Mission
  • Breaking News: A Stunning and Memorable Account of Reporting from Some of the Most Dangerous Places in the World
  • Barefoot Soldier
  • Combat Ready
  • Exit Wounds - One Australian's War On Terror
  • Kill or Capture: How a Special Operations Task Force Took Down a Notorious al Qaeda Terrorist
  • The Bang Bang Club
  • Red Flags
  • The Adventures of Alianore Audley
  • Thoughts of a Philosophical Fighter Pilot
  • Another Bloody Love Letter
  • Thunder Run: The Armored Strike to Capture Baghdad
  • Meantime:  The Aesthetics of Soldiering
  • Beaufort
  • Living with Honor: A Memoir by America's First Living Medal of Honor Recipient Since the Vietnam War
Jon Steele was born in the American Northwest in 1950 and was raised in Great Falls Montana. He worked an assortment of legal and illegal jobs all accross America before joining Independent Television News of London. Jon earned a reputation as one of the world's top cameramen in dangerous environments. His autobiography, 'War Junkie' was published in 2002 by Transworld and is today recognized as a ...more
More about Jon Steele

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Flour: A Baker's Collection of Spectacular Recipes
    $21.99 $3.99
  • The Longest Day: The Classic Epic of D-Day
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Present Over Perfect: Leaving Behind Frantic for a Simpler, More Soulful Way of Living
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
  • Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life
  • Church of the Small Things: The Million Little Pieces That Make Up a Life
  • Capital Gaines: Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Moving Beyond Words: Essays on Age, Rage, Sex, Power, Money, Muscles: Breaking the Boundaries of Gender
  • Woman's Worth