Start by marking “Wake Up and Roar” as Want to Read:
Wake Up and Roar

Wake Up and Roar

4.61  ·  Rating details ·  57 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
H.W.L. Poonja - affectionately known as Papaji - was only nine years old when he experienced his first samadhi, an altered state of consciousness where observer and object merge. As an adult, he sat in devotion with Sri Ramana Maharshi, and went on to become a master teacher in his own right, whose followers trekked across the world to sit in his presence. Wake Up and Roar ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 472 pages
Published April 14th 2010 by ReadHowYouWant (first published February 29th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Wake Up and Roar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wake Up and Roar

An incredible, insightful text and one that I can't help but refer back to.

The book always points back to yourself and what is seen within. This great master cuts through arrogance and ignorance in ways that are astounding and compassionate.

It took me awhile to get through because I wanted to take in as much as I could. I really wanted to pay attention.

There's a lot in here that I find to be inspiring, but also incredibly important. I highly recommend it if you are having questions about who you
Jaroslav Vašák
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(čeština níže)

"It is so simple. It is here. Right here. So you don't need to go anywhere. Yet we find it so difficult to achieve."
The book is about nothing we don't have or we don't know and yet it has so many pages. Why is that? I don't know. It definitely doesn't need to be that long, yet even those amount of pages is not enough to succeed, get enlighten, or find your true self, right?

Without a doubt this book is not for Westeros. There is not enough motivation or advertisement to read next.
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read it yet but it changed my mother's life so it deserves a review. If my mother meets you she will eventually grip your arm and make you listen to a 30 minute story about how this book changed her life for the better and will change yours. She discovered this book in 1995 and claims it took away 80% of her physical muscle pain. And that it has done much more for her as well, like made her a success in life (trust me she will tell you how and why). LOL.
Chris Marchan
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a fantastic reminder of who we truly are. It is rare in it's directness and personal accessibility. Papaji has the ability to make you realize that you are much more than your human assumptions without a hint of arrogance or piety. He is able to keep your ego in check in a very elegant way without disturbing it and at the same time point directly at your true nature. This book can be read over and over and over. Although, he says as most true teachers say, that your guru should not ...more
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think the thing about books on spiritualism is that they aren't about the writing, so much as the content. And many of Poonja's ideas are that one should not cleave to any teacher or teachings because everything we need to be and understand we hold within ourselves. I'm still mulling this book over. Leaning into nothingness makes sense and doesn't make sense at the same time. I'm not sure yet how to be empty.
Michael Daly
Jun 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting book from one of the main disciples of one of my favorite Indian Gurus. Written in question and answer style which may appear difficult to follow. It is also not recommended for the beginner on this road.
May 29, 2012
Jun 24, 2016
Jul 24, 2014
Omkar Tendulkar
May 07, 2016
Sri Hariwansh Lal Poonja, lovingly referred to as Papaji, was born on October 13, 1910, in a part of the Punjab that is now in Pakistan. He had his first direct experience of the Self at the age of nine. He met his Master, Sri Ramana Maharshi, in 1944. Shortly afterwards he realized the Self in the presence of his master.

Papaji continued to work and support the many members of his extended family
More about H.W.L. Poonja...
“One is always free and one is always alone. The mind is only dreaming.” 7 likes
“Nobody wants to work. Not even the breath wants to work.” 7 likes