Start by marking “The New Complete Guide to Sewing: Step-by-Step Techniquest for Making Clothes and Home AccessoriesUpdated Edition with All-New Projects and Simplicity Patterns” as Want to Read:

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  463 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
This is the ultimate stitch-and-seam reference book that brings you everything you need to know to sew your own distinctive creations, whether you are a beginner or an accomplished sewer.
Published November 11th 2010 by Reader's Digest (first published April 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The New Complete Guide to Sewing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Complete Guide to Sewing

N Yen
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Something for everyone.
Shelves: self-enrichment
Awesome! Really good for beginners in sewing, with clearly-illustrated diagrams and detailed instructions. I liked that it was well-organised, professional and easy-to-digest. A really neat book and the only one you'll need to follow (better to take my words with a pinch of salt and combine this with online resources) to get to a beginner-intermediate level where you can actually engage in your own projects.
Erika Mulvenna
Mar 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sewing
This is an updated version of the earlier Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing. Things are rearranged, updated, new information added, and all new illustrations. Although this is a good book, I still prefer the older version!
Beadrbop
Jan 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by an amazing sewer. It is a good reference book for anyone interested in sewing. The publisher lists it as an ultimate stitch and seam reference book. The photos give a clear understanding of what the stitch/seam is supposed to look like and the steps to get there. In addition there are 20 projects that can be made from this book. The projects include-trousers, traditional curtains, a light summer dress, kid's clothes, a beach towel, patchwork bag.

What I liked a
Ella
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diy-how-to
Unbelievable! What a resource! I borrowed this book, but I'm going to have to buy a copy to have on hand. One of the best sewing books I've come across, especially for making garments. Definitely a good book to have!
Melanie
Jan 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
My sewing instructor recommended this book. As a beginner I can see that it has a TON of info in it and has just about everything you need to finish a project; but it is a bit overwhelming as well.
Beverly
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I felt a little geeky, but I read this book cover to cover. So much information that will prove useful as I work to improve my sewing. I'll keep it right by my sewing table!
shari
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book every on sewing for beginnings through advanced. Good for all levels of sewing.
Jessica
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, skills
If you are beginning, intermediate or an expert in sewing, of all forms, get this book. This has literally e verything you need. Each chapter has an "assignment" and will show you how to make. This is by far the best book of sewing I have ever bought, read and own. Youtube videos CANNOT compare at all.
They are probably the worst way to learn sewing, because once you start bad habits, they are hard to break. This book is easy to follow. BUY THIS BOOK.
Karin
Nov 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to sew more
Shelves: craft, sewing
This is what I've been looking for! Complete tailoring instructions in an easy to find indexed format. Skills grouped together, but easy to cross-reference and look up. It even had a section on how children's and men's tailoring differes from women tailoring. Extensive explanations of fitting and sizing also were present along with many of the shortcuts that I had found especially useful in Nancy Zieman's book. I definitely want this one as a reference in my personal library. I read the 1995 edi ...more
Sara Musko
Aug 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All sewers
Recommended to Sara by: Sewing instructor
Shelves: crafts
This is the definitive all around sewing resource book. If you are learning how to sew and are wondering which complete sewing book to buy, get this one. The instructions are clear and the illustrations actually make sense. I am constantly pulling this out when I am working on a new technique or old ones that I need to brush up on.
Amanda
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafty-shelf, 2015, i-own
I bought this book after a lady I took sewing classes off of had an older version. This book is great! It has some really good detail and is fairly easy to follow. A must have book for all those seamstresses out there. It's one of those books that you will continuously read just because it's such a wonderful reference book for all things sewing.
Lise Petrauskas
Invaluable information.. The illustrations are good, but not compelling, and the projects are a little ho hum, but it's a must-have book because it covers everything you might come across while puzzling through almost any sewing project, and it's pretty easy to find a solution even if you don't know what you're looking for or what the necessary techniques are called.
Shalon Lippert
This book is sort of useful as a reference, I guess... It has a section on seam construction that I refer to a lot. But somehow I never use anything other than unfinished (pinked) or french seams anyway. If you are planning to do strictly home dec sewing then it this book is probably all you need. If you are making clothes, just get some other book that goes into more detail.
Nicole
Aug 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: craft-books
Way back when I was learning to sew, this was the required book for the class. Of course, this was a couple of editions ago but the guide is essential. I still reference this book when to mentally refresh on a technique I don't usually do.
Ashley
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWESOME book. I reference it daily! Hands-down the best book I've seen if you want to dive into garment sewing... like I wanted to:) But they also show some home decor techniques -- i.e., pillows and curtains. Admittedly, those patterns might need a little altering. They're (adorably) dated.
Monica
Jul 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The 2002 edition lacks instructions on how to sew invisible zippers, despite 5 references to them in the index. A glaring omission for a basic sewing book.

(The 1976 edition does have diagrams and instructions for invisible zippers; not sure about other editions between 1976-2002.)
Haras
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the best.
Tricia
Jun 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hobbies
My go-to guide whenever I run into a sewing problem or need to master a new skill.
Athena
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafting
A must buy, borrow, or steal book.
Nathalie
Dec 31, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I got the original 70s edition of this book for Xmas (thanks, Allyson), and it ROCKS so far.
Stephen Brent
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its ok :)
Cadillacrazy
May 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is my go-to for all things sewing. If you sew, you must own it.
Denise
The drawings are reasonably clear, and I usually find drawing illustrations better reference than photographs in these sorts of books, but it seemed to be missing all the things I was looking for.
Amy
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great general reference book: extremely thorough, good illustrations, well-written instruction sequences.
John
New Complete Guide to Sewing (Readers Digest) by Editors of Reader's Digest (2002)
Deb
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great reference and am now using it to teach my daughter to sew.
John
Mellissa
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I keep this on my sewing table as a reference book.
Jane Baldwin
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sewing
I recently upgraded to the newest edition of this book. It's an invaluable reference and was most useful when I recovered my sofa.
added it 1 6 Dec 01, 2011 09:58AM
  • Vogue Sewing: Revised and Updated
  • Couture Sewing Techniques
  • Sew Everything Workshop
  • Sew U: The Built by Wendy Guide to Making Your Own Wardrobe
  • The Complete Book of Sewing New Edition
  • Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics
  • The Colette Sewing Handbook: Inspired Styles and Classic Techniques for the New Seamstress
  • The Art of Manipulating Fabric
  • Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing
  • The Dressmaker's Technique Bible: A Complete Guide to Fashion Sewing
  • The Party Dress Book: How to Sew the Best Dress in the Room
  • One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Projects; Look How Much You Can Make with Just One Yard of Fabric!
  • The Dressmaker's Handbook of Couture Sewing Techniques: Essential Step-by-Step Techniques for Professional Results
  • Tailoring: The Classic Guide to Sewing the Perfect Jacket
  • Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching
  • The Sewing Bible: A Modern Manual of Practical and Decorative Sewing Techniques
  • Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts: Basic Techniques for Sewing, Applique, Embroidery, Quilting, Dyeing, and Printing, plus 150 Inspired Projects from A to Z
  • Design-It-Yourself Clothes: Patternmaking Simplified
The Reader's Digest Association, Inc. is a global media and direct marketing company based in Chappaqua, New York, best known for its flagship publication founded in 1922, Reader's Digest. The company's headquarters are in New York City, where it moved from Pleasantville, New York.

The company was founded by DeWitt and Lila Wallace in 1922 with the first publication of Reader's Digest magazine, but
More about Reader's Digest Association...

Nonfiction Deals