Start by marking “False Dawn (Jake Lassiter #3)” as Want to Read:
False Dawn (Jake Lassiter #3)

False Dawn

(Jake Lassiter #3)

Bestselling Legal Thriller from Edgar Nominee Paul Levine

The client admits he killed a man...
His lawyer doesn't believe him...
The truth is buried beneath a conspiracy of theft and murder.

"Realistic, gritty, fun."-- New York Times
Published September 29th 2012 by Nittany Valley Productions (first published April 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about False Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about False Dawn

Start your review of False Dawn (Jake Lassiter #3)
Tulay
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it
You can't figure out who's the good guy, or who's the bad guy.

Pages full of fights and murders. Just as you figure out who is telling the truth, you'll find out you're wrong. Like the Charlie character and his knowledge of art amongst other things. Learned what kind of beer to drink with what food. Longest day celebration in Helsinki-June 20, Russian car Lada. Russian art and jewelry. What is in the news about Cuba, is in this book. Also some light hearted funny lines.
Mike French
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of a thriller than the others I have read in this series. To me it was like one of his stand alone thrillers that I have read. This is not a bad thing,but didn't have as much humor that I have grown to love in this series.
Jim
Dec 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
The third book in author Paul Levine's excellent series starring Jake Lassiter, "False Dawn", is a high octane read out of the gate. Lawyer Jake Lassiter's client Francisco Crespo is charged with the murder of fellow warehouse worker Vladimir Smorodinsky. Vlad had been impaled with a fork lift during an altercation with Crespo. However, Crespo is cleared in a fluky set of circumstances, then himself is murdered. Before long Lassiter is taking a crash course in fine art from retired M.E. Dr. ...more
Paul Levine
Dec 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Some background from the author: This is the new ebook version of my Jake Lassiter thriller, "False Dawn." The book was published in hardcover in 1993 and has been out of print for some time. Because of readers' requests, I've re-published the novel as an ebook. Below are quotes form some of the hardcover reviews. Thanks for the opportunity to present the book to you.
Paul Levine
my link text

Realistic, gritty, fun. New York Times Book Review

A highly entertaining yarn filled with wry humor.
Terri
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge Paul Levine fan...never read one of his books that I didn't love. So...I'm not sure what was wrong but I just never could get into this one. Seems as thought the lighthearted nature and humour that he usually injects was just missing in this one. Sorry Paul, I just didn't care for this one.
Craig Pittman
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
The first half of this entry in Paul Levine's clever and often hilarious serious of novels about Miami lawyer Jake Lassiter is classic. Lassiter is defending a client charged with murder, a crime the client says he committed but Lassiter doesn't believe his story. In trying to get at the truth, he steps on the toes of a rich and powerful man who's paying his legal fees. He also winds up in bed with a beautiful private eye he doesn't quite trust (and rightfully so). There's even a great backstory ...more
Steve Black
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jake Lassiter is growing on me, as I get more comfortable with him and the other regulars. This one is less a legal story, more an international thriller, and the plot got very complicated at times, with the basic plot fairly far fetched. However, provided you're prepared to suspend disbelief it's a fast moving plot with many twists, and an enjoyable read. I'm now settled into the series and looking forward to the next.
Lorraine
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an AWESOME read!!

As a South Florida girl, it's always fun to read a book that takes place, anywhere in South Florida.
Jake is an ex-Dolphin football player, turned Lawyer. Jake seems to manage to get himself tangled up in the weirdest cases, with equally weird clients. The descriptions, are so amazing that you feel like you are there with Jake.
Murder and mayhem revolve around stolen artwork. Follow the story from Miami all the way to Cuba and back!
Roy Pearman
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another good one

I have a tough time putting down a Lassiter character story when I start one. The story is always complex but easy to follow. The characters are numerous but all interesting and have a vital role to the story. The best part is the end which with other writers is never much of a surprise but with LeVine , you better not think you know the ending , until the last page!
James Glass
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great thriller filled with lots of action and mystery. Jake Lassiter is a wonderfully written character with spunk and sarcasm. Jake is in the case to finding out who killed his friend and client.
Soon he discovers priceless art is being stolen from Russia and sold to the highest bidders.
Jake is able to uncover some of the secrets but he can never tell who the good guys and bad guys are. This is just part of the problem when dealing with the Russians, CIA, and Castro.
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
The tales of Jake Lassiter continue with KGB, Cuban mobsters and a great insight into the world of fine art. This was definitely more of a mystery compared to the others as just when you think you have the murderer sussed out the rug is whipped from under you.

I did feel that this was a bit long-winded with some unnecessary padding which made the book drag at times. However, I did finish and enjoyed it by the end.
M M
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Skim milk masquerades as cream.
This is so much bigger than a normal fight between two workers leading to one's death and other behind bars. It was a political thriller and my first of those kind, and I LOVED it! "Just when you think that you know who's the good guy and who's the bad one, they change the players or the rules." Or something like that.
Loved it!
- Mirella
p.s. not for the weak hearted or ones who can't bear with loooong books ;)
Carol Martin
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Actually, 3 3/4 stars

This was a good story about smuggling valuable artifacts out of Russia & a somewhat convoluted plot of numerous international parties involved for their own reasons & the Miami based lawyer who gets drawn in. Sometimes, it was hard to keep track of all the characters & twists & turns.
Elaine Donadio
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed most of the book, debated between 3 and 4 stars, but it was bogged down with too many irrelevant details. I found the constant wise-cracking distracted me from the plot development and character relationships. The story is set mostly in Miami which made it familiar and real for me. Interesting display of relationships among the super-powers and Cuba.
Larry Griffiths
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Larry's Take

I thought Lassiter was suppose to be a lawyer. No court room drama in this one. Also the main character, Jake, gets beat up etc etc at every turn. Not good. I stopped reading another series for the same reason. The protagonist should not be taking a beating all the time.
Chaplain Stanley Chapin
A light fun read

It will not keep you turning pages to find out what happens next. There is enough humor to cause a chuckle or two. It did not need the couple of pages of explicit sexual activity.
Sambasivan
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
An ok read. The author tries a story with international perspectives but finally turns out to be an average rendition. There is not much of a plot to keep the readers interest till the end. Still 3 stars for the innovative idea. ...more
Tony Sommer
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome Story

This story was full of action and suspense. I loved it and cant wait to get the next book in the series. I was entertained throughout the story. What a surprise at the end.
Joe
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
The client admits he killed a man...His lawyer doesn't believe himThe truth is buried beneath a conspiracy of theft and murder. Linebacker-turned-lawyer Jake Lassiter heads to Havana and untangles a deadly plot involving the CIA, Fidel Castro, and the Russian government.
Michelle Wilson
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Jack is a lawyer with a mouth. He wants to appear as a jock- manqué. He quotes constantly different authors and comes out as a well educated man who is a bit dim or else the villains are more clever. I read it, it was ok!
John Kichiy
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting twists and turns keep the pages turning.

Set in Miami with it's wide world connectivity and heavy Latino mix makes for many ways to bend the plot. Based on human foibles weaknesses and greed over all the story has contemporary plausability.
Eulalia Sinclair
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
False Dawn!

So many twist and turns, it was hard to keep up with who were the good guys and who were the bad guys. Jake was so lost that he really needed everything spelled out for him and he was the lawyer.
Shon Chewning
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jake Lassiter

With Jake, I'm not sure if I like him or just disagree with him. This book series has been very interesting to me . The characters are somewhat great. The storyline was amazing. Thanks
Susannah Carleton
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Not much courtroom action, but lots of bad guys with their own, conflicting agendas. To defend a friend, and to determine the truth, Jake has to sort the good guys from the bad ones...and stay out of jail and alive while doing it.
Carol
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Way too complicated for me. More gore than I can handle. But, free ebook from Amazon. Grin
Lynne
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Always love Jake Lassiter's circumspection and sense of humor. He makes Florida seem intriguing and his plots are thought provoking.
Mervin O'Sullivan
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i really liked the style of Paul Levine. Quite funny and the plot is fairly complicated. An enjoyable read though!
Carol Turk
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Easy read with lots of twists and turns. Enjoyable.
Daniel L.
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
All of the Jake Lassiter books are out of date - pre 9/11, pre-internet. Read them as historical novels not up-to-date thrillers.
Loretta Gabriel
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A real thriller

The author has written an exciting story of a lasers actions as he defends a client to whom he is indebted to. Fast paced and action packed.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Shadow File (Alex Vane #4)
  • The Extraction
  • Don't Speak (Jade Harrington, #1)
  • Steel Force (Jack Steel #1)
  • The Final Tour (John Flynn Thrillers, #1)
  • Palm Beach Poison (A Charlie Crawford Mystery, #2)
  • Vigilante Dead (Kate Jones Thriller #5)
  • Sufficient Evidence: A Novel
  • Palm Beach Deadly (Charlie Crawford Mystery, #3)
  • At Last (Redemption Thriller #6; Alex Troutt Thriller, #6)
  • The Mark (Henry Parker #1)
  • The Alibi: A Damien Harrington Legal Thriller
  • Political Justice (Marc Kadella Legal Mystery #7)
  • Palm Beach Predator (Charlie Crawford Mystery #6)
  • Death Votes Last (Jeff Trask Crime Drama Series, #5)
  • Devil's Plea Bargain: David Brunelle Legal Thriller #11 (David Brunelle Legal Thrillers)
  • Cult Justice (A Marc Kadella Legal Mystery Book 10)
  • The Dan Roy Series:Books 1-3: The Dan Roy Series Boxed Set
NEW: Jake Lassiter tackles the college admissions scandal in CHEATER'S GAME, Paul Levine's latest legal thriller.

"Clever, funny and seriously on point when it comes to the inequities of society and the justice system, CHEATER'S GAME is top-notch stuff from Paul Levine. His Jake Lassiter is my kind of lawyer!" - Michael Connelly

CHEATER'S GAME is a stand-alone entry in the Jake Lassiter series.

Jake Lassiter (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • To Speak for the Dead (Jake Lassiter #1)
  • Night Vision (Jake Lassiter #2)
  • Mortal Sin (Jake Lassiter #4)
  • Riptide (Jake Lassiter, #5)
  • Fool Me Twice (Jake Lassiter #6)
  • Flesh and Bones (Jake Lassiter #7)
  • Lassiter (Jake Lassiter, #8)
  • State vs. Lassiter (Jake Lassiter #9)
  • Bum Rap (Jake Lassiter #10)
  • Bum Luck (Jake Lassiter #11)