Start by marking “A Case of Bad Taste (Morning Shade Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
A Case of Bad Taste (Morning Shade Mystery #1)

A Case of Bad Taste (Diamonds in the Rough #1)

3.31  ·  Rating details ·  327 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Frustrated author M. K. Diamond is suffering from another bout of writer's block when the perfect plot unfolds in real life: a burglar in Morning Shade is breaking into homes and redecorating, of all things! If only Maude can keep her feisty mother-in-law, Stella, on the case before the trail grows cold and her manuscript freezes up again.
Published June 26th 2003 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about A Case of Bad Taste, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Case of Bad Taste

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellThe Help by Kathryn StockettThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Best Southern Literature
935 books — 2,370 voters
One for the Money by Janet EvanovichHard Eight by Janet EvanovichDeath on the Nile by Agatha ChristieThe Quiche of Death by M.C. BeatonDiners, Dives & Dead Ends by Terri L. Austin
Cozy Crimes
445 books — 227 voters

More lists with this book...

Ky
Jan 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
I thought all three books of the Morning Shade Mysteries were adorable!! This book was a fun, light cozy mystery about a woman named Maude who ends up having her mother-in-law and daughter move into her house at the same time after her husband passes away. I especially loved Stella, Maude's mother-in-law, as a character. She was a hoot! I loved how, even though she was 80-something-years-old, she was so stubborn and determined to solve the case! CeCe was a bit whiny, but considering her negative ...more
Susie
Jan 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Cute but a bit whiny and preachy in spots. I listened to this audio book and I always feel that the reader's voice influences my reaction to the book.
Amber
Jul 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
I did something I rarely do: I returned this book with finishing it. One chapter in, the story was slow. But I don't quit easily. I read 5 chapters of whining, complaining dullness. I just couldn't take more than that.
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Slow, repetitive, predictable, inconsistent plot and whiny characters. Don’t read this author again.
Linda
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting characters and story but it repeats the same theme over and over again. An easy read but could have been a few pages shorter.
readinger
Who hasn’t walked into someone’s house and thought “Ugg! Why did you use a blind decorator?”? But there aren’t many of us that would do anything about it. Hey, if they want to live surrounded by a plaid red and green couch with purple polka-dot wallpaper, that’s their problem.

Not in Morning Shade! Someone is this little town is breaking into homes and redecorating. They aren’t stealing anything. They are adding items, rearranging furniture, and packing away offending nick-knacks.

This is listed a
Bethany Swafford
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Struggling to work on her latest manuscript, Maude has to contend with her widowed mother-in-law and her widowed daughter. Throw in the strange break-ins happening all around town, and Maude will either find inspiration or sink.

I could definitely sympathize with Maude's struggle as a writer. She has doubts about whether she's lost all inspiration or if she's just going through a rough patch since so much is going on in her life. The story progression is a bit slow at times, but has a fairly good
Elaine
Aug 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Aunt Annette
p. 1 - on getting older ...
"...if a body part doesn't hurt, it isn't working."

This is a fun read. Not exactly exciting, but fun, nonetheless. Barely a year after her own husband dies, Maude's mother-in-law, Stella and Maude's daughter CeeCee move into her house. Stella was in a nursing home but the funds are no longer available to keep her there. CeeCee's young husband died, leaving Cee with more than surprise bills. Her house is on the market and she moves in along with her 3 dogs. Cee spends h
Cheryl
Mar 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Light entertainment for the most part. The cover was very attractive. I liked the premise of the mystery and I kept thinking what if........ Wanting to see what the burglar was going to do next kept me reading. I sure could use the same surprise as Nancy Pickett!

The difficulties of 3 generations struggling to make it together in one house was something I could easily identify with. Those teeth! I couldn't help laughing at times. Living with someone else's pets, even those that belonged to a bel
Cindy
Nov 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009-read
The story centered around the small town of Morning Shade and a frustrated author in her 60's whose husband had passed away. Her cranky 87 year old mother in law moved in with her. Then her daughter's husband passed away also, forcing her to move in along with 3 dogs and then a cat. Moving three grown women into the same house made for some funny antics!
If that relationship wasn't enough, someone in the small town began going into people's houses but instead of stealing anything, they rearrange
Donna
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it
In Morning Shade, Arkansas, nothing ever happens. This little town of about 350 people boasts 60 year old writer and widow Maude Diamond who strives to make the bestseller list but with more than 40 novels, she hasn't made it yet. Her husband died last year, her mother-in-law Stella moved in with her and her daughter became a widow so she had to move back in also. Maude has serious writers block and can't believe she might actually be using the ideas that Stella and her senior card players gossi ...more
Kelli
Jul 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I bought this book at a used book sale a few months ago. It called to me because of the cover. It looked like it would be a cute, easy mystery book. I was very happy when I found the second one as well, so I bought both. Overall the book was exactly what I thought it was, a cute, easy mystery. When I bought the book I didn't know that it was Christian Literature. Overall I wasn't bothered by this, but the book did get a bit annoying at times because the main character would get well.. preachy. I ...more
Debbie West
Mar 05, 2015 rated it liked it
a fair plot, fair characters. like the main character, the author was bland in her writing. this could have been really funny. instead, I only found it repetitive in places, boring in others. the only interesting part to me was the cat Captain. Now HE had a strong character. I got tired if the dog peeing on floor, tired of hearing how worried Maude was about writing & about her 3 women situation. Stella was more interesting than Maude or Cee Cee but not by much. she could have been a real hu ...more
James
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
I read this for a book club - it sounded like a cute premise - burglar breaking into homes to rearrange furniture -- the the story and characters, seemed only partially developed. The author opted instead to hit the reader over the head with messages of faith or repetitious prose of character self-pity. Billed as a light, cozy mystery - and on one level it is -- but the cozy mystery aspect takes a back seat to the didactic, repetitive preachy sermons of faith that inundate the pages. I know Ms. ...more
Ollie
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a delightful mystery. It shows situations from three different age perspective. I loved Stella, the grandmother, because she reminded me of my paternal grandmother. Every day, and several times a day, Granny was on death's door. Ironically she lived to 100. The daughter, CeeCee, reminds me of some of my great grand nephew/nieces. It takes practice to take on some of today's problems. However, I really related to Maude and her issues with pride. I am in that boat. I would recommend this b ...more
Gayla
May 11, 2009 rated it liked it
This is one of those books that you pick up and read a chapter and then a few days later you read a little more. Nothing earth shattering, but a fun and entertaining book with a lot of silliness.

It's a book about three women - Mother-in-law, Mother and daughter - three generations. All have lost their husbands to death....and they are living together out of financial need. A good story to read.
Gramy
Nov 30, 2013 rated it liked it
The plot and the mystery were not believable. Although it might be some housewives dream to have someone come into their home to clean and redecorate for them. The characters in this book were the draw. I enjoyed the antics by Stella and her sleuthing capabilities at her elderly age. Something positive and upbeat this is not. But it was fun. Since I had checked out all three books at the library, I decided to check out the rest of the series.
Tania
Oct 24, 2010 rated it did not like it
The first book written in the series "Morning Shade Mystery," the heroine is an elderly lady whose husband has passed away. Because of this she had to take in her mother-in-law. To top it off, her daughter was also widowed and had to move back home.

The storyline was promising but the repitition and constant whining of the main character made this a slow read. I also felt the story arc fell flat with no real mystery to solve. I don't plan to read any further in this series.
T
Mar 21, 2010 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book, especially because I do appreciate the Christian references, but it was just not good. It seemed to just drag, like there was very little plot made to stretch over many pages. For a mystery, there also seemed to be very little detective work except for stakeouts and questioning. I guess I was just expecting something completely different?
Marinda
Jul 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
I cannot believe I read this whole book. The only thing that appealed to me was the true ring of the voice of the depressed and blocked writer. If you are thinking of reading it, skip it. Then again, this book was so bad I am considering reading the second because I want to think it is not possible to write so blandly twice in a row and still get published.
Val
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it
A Morning Shade Mystery. The idea of somebody breaking in and rearranging the furniture was fun BUT it ran out of oomph. A very light mystery and unfortunately, I had read the next book, which told me who did the burglary in this one so it came as no surprise at all. Although I had guessed right from the beginning as it was quite obvious. Very disappointed.
Kimmie
Jun 14, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a Christian cozy mystery. Unlike most cozies this was a much more serious read. The story revolves around a woman, her Mother-In-Law and her daughter going through a tough time. Throw in 3 dogs, 1 cat, and you get a good mix of mayhem. The mystery is a light one and revolves around an anonymous decorator that targets locals seniors by breaking in and redecorating.
Sandra
Apr 26, 2012 rated it liked it
A quick and easy read with a bit of a twist. A woman, her mother-in-law and the woman's daughter find themselves living in the same house. There are certainly bumps along the way but compromise and respect help to make the living arrangements bearable in the beginning and almost enjoyable in the end.
Suzanne Cooper
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Trinna
Jun 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, fiction
I thought the storyline was darling, but the first half was long, mopey, and seemed awfully repetitive to me. I longed for the actual story to start. The idea was very cute, just wish it developed a bit quicker. Still I think I'll read the next book in her series and see if it picks up.
Anniemichellez
Mar 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Most of my family think it's funny that I would like a book about a bunch of old ladies. But my favorite books are almost always funny ones, and this one (and all the books in this series) is extremely funny! I Daresay, more of Lori Copeland's books are likely to appear on my list. :)
Belinda
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Love Lori Copeland. A thoughtful and engaging writer. This story, while not her best work, is funny, witty, and entertaining. It is very light reading, but just the ticket for a little adventure!
Nikki
May 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I just re-read this book and increased the number of stars. It just proves that it's not always the writing that influences your impression of the book. Sometimes you are just in a different mood. I'm really glad a gave this one a second glance.
Amy
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a funny easy to read book with a couple of life lessons in it. I didn't realize it was Christian fiction when I bought it but I still lived the book. It wasn't preachy it was very easy to enjoy
Kelly
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Poorly written or edited, many inconsistencies. Frances was described as having jet-black hair and then as having white hair. Maude complained about the dogs ruining her carpet and then later said it didn't matter because she had hardwood floors only to later remark about the carpets. Uggh...
  • Casket Case (A Callie Parrish Mystery #3)
  • Prelude (American Anthem #1)
  • Biggie and the Mangled Mortician (Biggie Weatherford, #2)
  • Double Vision
  • The Angel and the Jabberwocky Murders (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • God in Concord (Homer Kelly, #9)
  • A Ship Possessed (J.D. Stanton #1)
  • Scoop (Occupational Hazards, #1)
  • The Immortal
  • When Did We Lose Harriet? (Thoroughly Southern, #1)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Forges Ahead (Mrs. Jeffries, #28)
  • The Bridge
  • Never Say Pie (A Pie Shop Mystery #2)
  • The Attentive Life: Discerning God's Presence in All Things
  • Glimpses of Truth
  • Bryson City Secrets: Even More Tales of a Small-Town Doctor in the Smoky Mountains
  • Dearest Dorothy, Who Would Have Ever Thought? (Dearest Dorothy, #4)
  • Knit, Purl, Die (Black Sheep Knitting Mysteries, #2)
Lori Copeland was born on 12 June 1941. She had a relatively late start in writing, breaking into publishing in 1982 when she was already forty years old. Over the next dozen years, her romance novels achieved much success, as was evidenced by her winning the Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice Award, The Holt Medallion, and Walden Books' Best Seller award. She has been inducted into the Missouri Wri ...more
More about Lori Copeland...

Diamonds in the Rough (3 books)
  • A Case of Crooked Letters (Morning Shade Mystery #2)
  • A Case of Nosy Neighbors (Morning Shade Mystery #3)