Start by marking “Come What May (Heartland, #5)” as Want to Read:
Come What May (Heartland, #5)

Come What May

(Heartland #5)

This powerful series follows Amy Fleming through the loss of her mother and her struggle to continue the work at Heartland-a refuge for abused and abandoned horses.
Published June 1st 2001 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 2001)

Start your review of Come What May (Heartland, #5)
Maddie
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another cute little read :D I like the way (view spoiler) Also glad that (view spoiler) And what a shock about (view spoiler) Glad (view spoiler) ...more
Amaya R
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Definitely intended for younger audiences and the story read more like a novella or an episode of a tv series. The characters are likable, I adore the setting and the dynamics between the characters was well written. I can easily see myself getting lost in these books as a teenager. The story was fast paced.
Kirsty McCracken
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 ...more
Kelly
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favourites in the earlier books. It talks about several important themes and within the family- then a foal is born at the end. Yay! :D
Nicole Mosley
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed these as a kid.
Juniper Schaefer
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome ending...
Taryn Rai Spearey
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The family gets the new horse, Melody, who is expecting a new foal. Amy worries about the foal. She is also struggling with finding out that her sister, Lou, is trying to find their father. Amy has no interest in meeting him.

We also continue to have the issue with Ben and his mother. When she tries to get Amy to put Ben on the phone, he refuses to speak to her. He has a horse competition coming up and doesn't believe she will come. When she does show up, Ben is pretty surprised.

Melody has her
AmbWitch
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-stars
It would be so much easier for me to review books if I did so as soon as I read them. I’m trying to catch up, honest. So this is going to be a very short unreview like review. Reading my other reviews on this book series might paint a better picture of what I think, but I can’t really remember what happens in this book, nor do I have the inclination to really try with the review.

(view spoiler)
Amanda
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Yet another cute, easy read in this series. As an adult reading these books, they only take a couple of hours to read, and are great as an easy escape from the real world.

This book is about a pregnant, labouring mare that comes to Heartland when her owner can no longer take care of her adequately - she isn't the normal neglected or damaged case they usually see, but gets into some trouble as soon as she gets in to Heartland when she tries to jump a fence.

On the personal front - Lou tries to
Kate
Jan 31, 2009 rated it liked it
The horse plot, an pregnant injured mare, did not play as large a role in this book as the drama between Amy and Lou and their father and Ben and his mother, and I was a bit surprised that the horse plot didn't seem to be linked to the people plots. But, considering this is the fifth book in the series and Amy does have some major issues to work through, it was probably high time for the horses to take a back seat. There was still plenty of riding and good information about preparing for a horse ...more
Marie
Jun 01, 2013 rated it liked it
The writing in this series isn't the best I've come across, which I've mentioned before, but the story line is cute and it's all about the horses and Amy. Thankfully, this one like the one before it isn't quite as angsty -- but don't take that to mean it's happy go lucky. These books seem to excel in the family drama category. Still an enjoyable quick read for an adult, and an insta favorite for my child-at-heart.
Lisa Betteridge
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horses
Read all the Heartland books when I was younger and remember really loving them and harrassing my parents to buy more and more. Re read them recently and still love them as much as I did before!
As they're aimed at younger audience they are not really challenging, rather a quick and easy but enjoyable read for hores lovers!
Tara
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book continuing "taking chances". Amy takes in a injured pregnant mare while her sister Lou tries to get in touch with their dad. This is a book for horse crazy teenagers plus the whole series.
Lily
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book because it shows what a group of family and friends can do together. They recovered a horse from a bad accident when she was about to pass away. This book will put a smile on your face!
Suzy Kennedy
Oct 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: youth
read as a child.

A good series about a girl working with horses and dealing with grief.
Jess
Feb 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
this book is for lk 9-15 years old.
Emilie
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not really my type of book.
Cale_Steps
Good to pass time. Can be interesting/exciting-but def. for horse freaks!
Jessica Casey
Oct 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Horse lovers!
Recommended to Jessica by: My moms friend.
Kinda sad but its a tragic series...
Sammy
Aug 07, 2011 added it
Perfect read for pony-crazy teenagers. Also a sad at times but very enjoyable series to to read.
Alexis
Oct 17, 2008 rated it liked it
melody makes me think of the sweetest horse
Emma
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I can't wait to see how Amy reacts to meeting her daddy again.
Juliana
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: joanna
i loved it, it was so good.
Kelsey
Aug 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009-books-read
Seriously, I hate these books. I don't know why I continue to read them.
Faith Grogan
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it
It was a really good book read I enjoy the heartland books
Hallie
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Amy gets mad at her sister lou for trying to get in touch with there father.
Jessica
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jessica by: me
See the first book in the series for a full review.
Juliana
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teen/tween horse enthusiasts
A GREAT story. very heartfelt and nicely written. I LOVE HORSES!!!!
Twyla
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Samantha
Aug 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Good book, does NOT qualify for a title like "Come What May" because it is not depressing or sad like the title suggests. Overall a good book though.

• Wonder's Promise (Thoroughbred, #2)
  • Sundancer
  • Shadow Horse
  • Blind Beauty
  • The Water Horse
  • Take the Reins
  • Horse Crazy (Saddle Club, #1)
  • The Haunting of Falcon House
  • The Wild One (Phantom Stallion, #1)
  • The Killing Room (China Thrillers, #3)
  • Nos ancêtres les gaulois et autres fadaises
  • Bettý
  • Le Malade imaginaire
  • Beltenebros
  • La Part de l'autre
  • The Heart Has Its Reasons
  • The Last Dance and Other Stories
  • Memoirs
Lauren Brooke grew up in a ranch in Virginia and now lives in Leicestershire, England. Her husband is a veterinarian who specializes in horses. Her books have been published by Scholastic since Mid-2000, starting with the first book of the Heartland book series. The first book of her popular Chestnut Hill series was published in 2005.

According to an interview on scholastics' website, Lauren Brooke

Heartland (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Coming Home (Heartland, #1)
  • After the Storm (Heartland, #2)
  • Breaking Free (Heartland, #3)
  • Taking Chances (Heartland, #4)
  • One Day You'll Know (Heartland, #6)
  • Out of the Darkness (Heartland, #7)
  • Thicker Than Water (Heartland, #8)
  • Every New Day (Heartland, #9)
  • Tomorrow's Promise (Heartland, #10)
  • True Enough (Heartland, #11)