Start by marking “Relics (Faye Longchamp, #2)” as Want to Read:
Relics (Faye Longchamp, #2)

Relics

(Faye Longchamp #2)

Erstwhile artifacts blackmarketeer Faye Longchamp lands the job as chief archaeologist for a rural development project and heads to the hills of Alabama, her studly Cherokee assistant, Joe, in tow. She's looking forward to a legitimate dig, and hopes to uncover the mystery of the Sujosa, an ethnic group of mysterious origins known for their aquamarine eyes and unusual resi ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 296 pages
Published August 1st 2005 by Poisoned Pen Press

To ask other readers questions about Relics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Relics

Start your review of Relics (Faye Longchamp, #2)
Donna
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012, mystery
I enjoyed this book as much as I did the first in the series. It's so nice to discover a well written mystery series that already has a number of books published. This is just the type of mystery I like, not too gritty, not too cozy, but somewhere in the middle.

Faye is a great character, but the race issues are feeling a bit heavy handed. I hope every book doesn't have such an emphasis on it. I liked the change of scenery and the plot in this one, trying to figure out the history of a small, ins
Lynn
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Relics is the 2nd book in the Faye Longchamp series. Faye has a assignment or a job to travel to Alabama to do an archeology study on the Sujosa people who live in this remote area. They have been found to have immunity to Aids and some other diseases. No one knows where the Sujosa people came from They have a distinctive look with their turquoise colored eyes and a light streak in their hair on the back of their head.

Faye arrives from her Pan Handle island home in Florida to the remote area. .
Judy
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a shame that Mary Anna Evans is not better known. So I will do my part to spread the word about this series. Mary Anna Evans’ writing flows so naturally, and her descriptions place the reader in realism. She has done the research, and I have learned about places and issues new to me. This, the second book with Faye Longchamp as the protagonist is located in Alabama rather than Florida, which is where Faye lives. This means that there is an entirely new set of characters that are well devel ...more
LJ
RELICS (Amateur Sleuth-Alabama-Cont) – G
Evans, Mary Anna – 2nd in series
Poisoned Pen Press, 2005- Hardcover
Faye Longchamp is an archeology student who has traveled, with her friend and assistant Joe, to the hills of Alabama. She is there to lead a team research the history of the Sujosa, a small group with immunity to AIDS. When a fire, Faye suspects to be arson, kills one of the researchers and a young man falls to his death from a high tower, Faye is determined to find our who has something to
Janice
May 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: series
I enjoyed this second book in this series. There is a well developed story line, and the characters of Faye Longchamp and her Cherokee assistant Joe are more fleshed out, here. I will continue this series.
Linda
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A mystery series with an archeologist as a main character works for me. Set in the South, the sense of place is strong and appealing.
Jen
We rejoin Faye Longchamp several months after the first book in the series concluded. She is well on her way to an advanced archaeology degree, and her mentor, Magda, sends her to be the site archaeologist for a project studying a small community of people who are of an unknown racial descent in the hills of Alabama. Once there, she finds the community less than willing to be studied and the project poorly managed, which is quite enough of a challenge...but when her new friend and project collea ...more
Pamela
Unlike the first Faye Longchamp mystery - Artifacts- Relics, overall, didn't thoroughly enthrall me. The action, though gripping, didn't take off until mid book. And some of the key support characters were two dimensional, as were their conversations.

However, the plot was viable. I especially enjoyed the pottery elements; And I pondered Miss Dovey's Song(s) in relation to Henry VII and the Biblical Song of songs; fascinating stuff. Actually, the Sujosa community as a whole inspired me to resear
Karen
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This gets four stars just for including a map at the front!

I enjoyed this second investigation with Faye and Joe. It seemed a bit of a jump for Joe to become an assistant on this project when he appeared to be so solitary in book one. But a bit of Joe is good where ever you find him.

This is a closed community, so it is no surprise that their secrets are hard to uncover.

Instead of digging on federal land, Faye is working at the university dig in the back country.

She is appalled that the Professor
✨ Gramy ✨
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Faye Longchamp and Joe Wolf Mantooth head to unfamiliar territory to fill in for Magda, since she is not medically able to fulfill her obligation in Alabama.

Faye is disturbed when her housemate dies in a fire that almost claims Faye's life as well. She works directly with the fire department to determine the cause of the fire and who might be involved in setting it.

Twists and turns are thrown in as a tenacious Faye continues the research her co-worker had begun with the people with detailed int
Ann
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This story resonated with me in many ways; a vividly described setting, characters that I would love to meet and converse with about science, archaeology and history plus taut suspense. The characters I recall from the first book show strength and growth leaving me ready for the next book very soon.
Stephanie Heuerman
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the second installment of the Faye Longchamp series. While admittedly darker than the first, I still thoroughly enjoyed it. The ending actually surprised me. I guessed wrong about who was behind the misdeeds in the story, which made the book all the more impressive to me.
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent mystery with rich characters and surprises. I love books that are deep with characters and that I cannot figure out until near the end. This series is full of them.
Liz
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a terrific series. The two unassuming main characters, Faye and Joe are basically loners who are plunked down among a divergent group of people due to her career as an archaeologist (Joe is her assistant). They are a couple of smart people, but in different ways. Joe has some maturing experiences, which are handled nicely. Some of the people they are around are openly hostile to Faye though they don't have the guts to be hostile to Joe because he is an imposing figure. While Joe and Faye ar ...more
Richard
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a neat follow-up to the first book in the series. When this begins, Faye is back in school and goes north to Alabama on a field work project. The cultural and historical settings are really quite interesting. Even though the Sujosa (among whom she is working) are actually a fictional group, the verisimilitude is awesome. And I'm definitely going to keep this series in my TBR list.

Also, just aside, a couple of basically inconsequential observations... The book seems to contain zero typogr
Arizonagirl
Nov 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Faye Longchamp series, book #2. Faye is working in Alabama studying the origins of the Sujosa people, who have dark skin, blue eyes, and a resistance to the AIDS virus. But the Sujosa are not cooperating, the PI of the project is either an idiot or purposely sabotaging the project, and soon an "accident" kills one of the researchers.
Ed Napiorkowski
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good second in the series in that it both rewards readers of the first book with robust and consistent character development of the main players from book one plus delivers an intriguing and entertaining story. The tale flows well keeping the reader on their toes seeking to indetify who is on the level and may not be all they appear to be. Found the story both entertaining and believable.
Stef
Very suspense, crime fighting mystery. Faye goes beyond her abilities and tries to save everyone around her and gets injured sometimes as well. Very little romance in this series so far.

The story keeps you right in and you want to find out what is happening and who the killer is . .. you will find out closer to the end if you haven't gotten it figured out as you read. . .
Anita
Excellent second installment of this series about a woman archeologist who is assigned to a project to find the origins of a ethnic group in rural Alabama hill county. Two murders and attempts on Faye’s life as she ‘digs’ deeper into the lives and history of group, make for intriguing, fast paced reading.
Brucie
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Author covers all the usual features of a Faye Longchamp story in the second episode of a remarkable series. Strong and smart little heroine, history of injustice for minority people, lots of potential bad guys, good and evil in the academic community, with enough realistic romance to satisfy. Well done!
Kathi
Although I did not read the first in this series, I don't feel like I missed anything at all. It definitely reads as a stand-alone novel.

It took a bit to get into the book but once I did, I really enjoyed it. I think it was more my mindset going into it than any issue with the book. It was a good mystery and I enjoyed the premise.
Teresa
You know when you get a craving and you find just what you want? And you can't get enough? I think that is what I feel like with this series. I love history and mystery. And a book that can teach me something always leaves me thrilled. Faye Longchamp is strong, intelligent, and a woman that is not to be reckoned with. I love a good strong heroine. Yay!
Sash Erskine
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful engaging mystery read

Not only was this a great involved mystery, Mary Anna's style is c!ean and crisp enough to be accessible by readers of most ages. A wonderful book and series for fledgling archeologists.
Marilee
jThis is an excellent series, with compelling characters exploring things as well as sidetracking side kicks. I'm very interested in archeology, especially as it applies to the US SE. This book delivers.. and all them are available on line..
sl337litchair
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like these stories. Although I figured out the culprit, I still enjoyed the drama surrounding this unique community. The story was good enough to hold me until the end.
Christina
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I listened to an audio version of this book.
It was well done! I was also in suspense until the end of the book.
Wiebke Kuhn
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A strong second novel in this series following Faye Longchamp as the lead archeologist in a fictitious isolated community in East Alabama. An interesting story about pottery, land, and migration.
Carol Waters
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting story but maybe a little too obvious with her clues
Michelle Matthews-Calloway
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoying this series!
Marion Morrison
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Second book in a series. First book was good, this one was a page turner.
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Call for Kelp (Seaside Café Mystery, #4)
  • Next to Last Stand (Walt Longmire, #16)
  • A Bottle Full of Djinn (Sunnyside Retired Witches Community #1)
  • The Girls with No Names
  • Booked for Death (Booklovers B&B Mysteries #1)
  • The Stolen Letter (Scottish Bookshop Mystery #5)
  • The Last Trial (Kindle County Book 11)
  • Prophecy (Calypso, #1)
  • Goddess (Calypso, #2)
  • In Place of Never
  • Precious and the Mystery of Meerkat Hill (Precious Ramotswe's Very First Cases, #2)
  • Nothing More Dangerous
  • A Geek Girl's Guide to Justice (Geek Girl Mysteries #3)
  • Stolen to Remember (Stolen #1)
  • Stolen to Love (Stolen #3)
  • Stolen To Keep (Stolen #2)
  • American Sherlock: Murder, Forensics, and the Birth of American CSI
  • The Coroner (Jenny Cooper, #1)
Mary Anna Evans is the author of the Faye Longchamp archaeological mysteries, Artifacts, Relics, Effigies, Findings, Floodgates, Strangers, Plunder, Rituals, Isolation, Burials and, coming in April 2018, Undercurrents. Her standalone thriller, Wounded Earth, features environmentalist Larabeth McLeod in a duel to the death against a stalker who calls himself Babykiller.
Mary Anna's work has won the

Faye Longchamp (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Artifacts (Faye Longchamp, #1)
  • Effigies (Faye Longchamp, #3)
  • Findings (Faye Longchamp, #4)
  • Floodgates (Faye Longchamp, #5)
  • Strangers (Faye Longchamp, #6)
  • Plunder (Faye Longchamp, #7)
  • Rituals (Faye Longchamp, #8)
  • Isolation (Faye Longchamp, #9)
  • Burials (Faye Longchamp #10)
  • Undercurrents (Faye Longchamp #11)