Start by marking “Evidence! Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian” as Want to Read:
Evidence! Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian

Evidence! Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  209 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Every devoted genealogist is concerned with citations in their analysis for their genealogy. Accurate citations are necessary so that the evidence can be judged and if necessary allows for the research to be repeated. The author makes it easy to help genealogists (particularly the non-expert) to make sense out of citations and to improve their genealogy search. THIS BOOK I ...more
Published July 24th 2011 by Genealogical Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1997)

Be the first to ask a question about Evidence! Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian

Jeremy
Sep 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: genealogy
As I've worked on my family history from materials passed on from members of my family and collected from other databases, I have been frustrated by incorrect information and the lack of source annotations in the pedigrees I have. My latest disappointment was to find that one of my favorite ancestral lines, which passes through a 15th century Lord Mayor of London, probably does not belong to my family.

As I've been preparing to start the arduous work of checking the information I've inherited, I
Denise
Apr 25, 2010 rated it liked it
A technical book that will constantly be a resource for me as I continue to work on becoming an accredited genealogist. I own this book and it's a good thing because I will constantly need to reference it!
James Jeffrey
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Must have for serious researchers.
Granny
Jan 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: researchers, genealogists.
Shelves: non-fiction
As a professional genealogist, this little book is always on my desk.
Kristin
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I finally purchased a used copy to help with my genealogical pursuits. This will be a reference book to have on hand for the future, so I just skimmed it. The slim book is shorter than I expected. In the first half of the book, Mills provides some good tips on fundamentals of citation and analysis. The last half of the book has a multitude of examples of types of citations that a researcher may want to use (based on the Chicago style). I wish the book included more examples of common research co ...more
Mary
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Lots of valuable detail. Especially when I get back to doing more acutal research. Most of what I am doing now is on Ancestry and is not printed. This info adds to the laminated detail sheets that I bought a few years ago.
Janet
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Unfortunately this book is dated, and it doesn't cover what is probably the most used source today -- the internet. In particular, there are no examples or discussions about how to cite to a Federal Census that was obtained via Ancestry.com or FamilySearch.com.
Tania
Nov 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful reference for the amateur genealogist. Part 1 explains what the researcher should be looking for in their sources and documentation, including how to distinguish a reliable source from hearsay and how to complete source notes. Part 2 is a comprehensive table that explains how to reference the various types of sources. The appendices show sample documentation. The index allows the reader to pinpoint the source they need to reference and go right to it. It is a clear and concis ...more
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have been doing genealogy research for well over a decade, and I have to say that one of my biggest problems by far is my lackadaisical approach to citing sources. It's not that I don't think citing sources is important. It's extremely important. I just get sidetracked when I'm researching and don't always write down where I found a particular document or fact.

This book is a wonderful resource for people like me. Take this book with you on your library trips! If you use the information present
Sue Mortensen
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is exactly what I needed for the several projects I am working on. I was able to get rid of several other books and replace them with this book. I have marked and flagged all of the examples I think I will be using in the future. It was interesting to see how obsolete some forms of media have become in such a short time. I excited to organize my work using the rules outlined in this book. It's been very helpful.
Mootzee
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: genealogy, owned
Just reread this book for the third time. It's a great, portable reference guide to genealogical citations. This is the precursor to Shown Mills' Evidence Explained book; a quick and dirty version if you will. Lots of great examples given to help you understand how the citations are constructed. Highly recommend just for the portability.
Tanya
Jun 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: genealogy, i-own-it
This reference seems great for American sources, but I found many of my British references were left incompletely treated. Her 2009 publication, Evidence Explained is much more complete, and really makes this book obsolete.
Tina Sansone
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I use this book often as I cite sources on my research reports.
Cathy
Mar 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Reading Jones's Mastering Genealogical Proof took some of the stuffing out of this book. Jones's book was much more recently released.
Ted Gurley
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Essential primer.
Amanda
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really need to own this book. Clear and to the point.
Gwnhwyfer
While this book is an excellent resource for citing sources, I have one quibble with it: it's very American-centric.
JP
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you only get one reference book about how to record family history, this is it. It's concise and handy as a constant reference.
Josh
Apr 27, 2015 rated it liked it
A handbook for citing materials found during a genealogical inquiry and how to assess them for trustworthiness.
Amanda
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent citation examples.
Cindy
Apr 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
Good resource for researching family history but a little dry.
Andy Lawless
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Published by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc.
199 B. Calvert St. Baltimore, Maryland
Christine
May 23, 2012 rated it liked it
I bought this book with a little dread, but knowing this is an area in my genealogy research that really needs improvement. It fortunately is not a long book, so was not TOO intimidating.
Elizabeth
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The BCG Genealogical Standards Manual
  • The Source: A Guidebook of American Genealogy
  • Researcher's Guide to American Genealogy
  • The Family Tree Problem Solver: Proven Methods for Scaling the Inevitable Brick Wall
  • They Came in Ships: A Guide to Finding Your Immigrant Ancestor's Arrival Record
  • Your Guide to Cemetery Research
  • Mastering Genealogical Proof
  • Unpuzzling Your Past: The Best-Selling Basic Guide to Genealogy
  • Hey, America, Your Roots Are Showing
  • How to Do Everything Genealogy
  • Shaking the Family Tree: Blue Bloods, Black Sheep, and Other Obsessions of an Accidental Genealogist
  • Genealogy Online for Dummies
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Genealogy
  • The Everything Guide to Online Genealogy: A complete resource to using the Web to trace your family history
  • Legacy: A Step-By-Step Guide To Writing Personal History

• Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Jesus > Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Forty Autumns: A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall
    $11.99 $1.99