Start by marking “A Walk in London” as Want to Read:
A Walk in London

A Walk in London

(A Walk In...)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  215 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
A child's-eye view of London's top attractions blends lively artwork with fascinating facts, and features a sweeping gatefold of the city skyline.
(Ages 5-7)

Published March 22nd 2011 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about A Walk in London, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Walk in London

Sheri
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This sightseeing trip to the most famous sites in London is a great introduction to the city. It was very easy to imagine myself right there walking alongside, seeing, experiencing, and learning all about one of the world’s most known cities. Filled with fascinating facts, historical tidbits, and interesting illustrations, I got caught up planning my own trip to see it all firsthand. (Not really happening, just in my dreams! Maybe someday…) I only wish there were more than 3 books in the series.
Diz
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A nice way to introduce the city of London to young children. The illustrations are beautiful.
Rebecca Catlett
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book was about a little girl and her mother walking around in London. While they were there, they saw all kinds of sights. They visit the Whispering Gallery at St. Paul’s Cathedral,the Big Ben,Covenant Garden, and Tower of London. They also see the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace and the girl becomes so excited.She is learning along the way about the main attractions in London. They end their visit with a boat trip down the Thames River.

The age range of the book is primary. I thin
MCPLD Youth Department
Readers will be charmed by Salvatore Rubbino's lively illustrations and interesting trivia about one of the oldest and most exciting cities in the world. As a mother and daughter take a day trip around London the reader is learning many fascinating things about this great city.
Mitel Patel
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
A Walk in London by Salvatore Rubbino

This book is great for children to explore London. It makes London look really interesting and combines story telling with facts. The story is suitable for KS1 and Early Years. A great story for a geography topic or simply a read-a-loud story. This book provides lots of opportunities for discussion with children. Fantastic illustrations to go along with the text.
Tricia
Jul 27, 2011 rated it liked it
I like these books ("Walk in New York" included) because it's a children's eye tour of landmarks in different cities. If the child lived in or had visited the city, it may make more sense but if not, it's a fun travel journey via book.
Natalie
Oct 28, 2011 rated it liked it
This book depicts a very touristy London and there is not much of a story, but the illustrations are charming.
Kristen
This is a wonderful book for children and parents to share. Each page features illustrations of different parts of London. Annotations describe details shown throughout the book such as the history of London's landmarks, bird life, and its people. The book follows a day-trip of mother and daughter walking through the streets of London.

One annotation, for example, explains how a dragon statue designates where the road changes its name from "the Strand" to "Fleet Street," where the dragon is the
Lori
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
From the Publisher:
A wide-eyed girl and her mother explore London's busy streets and towering views in this child-friendly tribute to an incomparable city.

London – the perfect place for a girl and her mother to spend the day! Follow them as they board the classic red bus and begin a whirlwind tour of some of London’s most iconic landmarks. Try and climb the awe-inspiring lions at Trafalgar Square, take in the ritualistic Changing of the Guard, experience the whispering gallery at St Paul’s and
Lorna Hetherington
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
A Walk in London follows a little girl and her Mum on their day out in London. The reader is invited to accompany them on their way and is shown all of the important sights including Buckingham Palace and Covent Garden. As a result, the reader becomes very involved and this creates a feeling of interactivity. The contemporary illustrations accompany the text nicely and the unfolding panorama of the Thames in the centre of the book adds excitement and novelty value.

This is essentially a fiction b
Janessa
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A Walk in London, by Salvatore Rubbino, is an absolutely charming picture book about a mother and her young daughter taking a day trip to explore the city of London. They arrive in Westminster on a bright red double decker bus to the sound of Big Ben chiming out the hour. From there they walk through St. James’s Park and arrive at Buckingham Palace just in time for the changing of the guard. The illustrations are full of movement and personality, with just the right amount of detail to capture t ...more
Christine Turner
Summary
HCPL Juv Nonfiction 942.1 Rub

London is calling! Come along on a mother-daughter day trip as they wend their way past the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, through Trafalgar Square, and on to Covent Garden. Listen closely and you might just learn a secret about the Whispering Gallery in Saint Paul's Cathedral. Then it's on to the Tower
A_Jenny
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have felt like I too have thru London and learned about each building, statue, neighborhood, and Buckingham Palace too. The fold out pages was full of information as well on the different facts bout the architecture, buildings, and culture. For example, until 1749, there was oly one bridge that allowed you to cross into London, the St. Paul's Cathedral was completed in 1710 and it was the tallest building for two and a half centuries. The illustrations were a combination of sketches from the a ...more
Ardea Smith
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-log
Title / Author / Publication Date: A Walk in London/Salvatore Rubbino/2011

Genre: Non-Fiction Picture Book

Format: Hardcover

Plot summary: A mother and daughter get off a double-decker bus in central London for a day of sightseeing.

Considerations or precautions for readers advisory: This book has elements for both younger and older children. The large text is simple and serves as a guide to the pictures while the smaller text placed around the pages has informative text about the sights and sounds
Terry
Little Kid Reaction: A friend of mine used the book with his son as an introduction to London since he plans to take his family there on vacation this summer. The boy enjoyed it immensely and is quite excited now about the trip.

Big Kid Reaction: Both my friend and I found the book excellent. The fascinating trivia about London makes the book all the more appealing.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
Elys
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a brilliant book, detailing a day long walk around some of London's landmarks. It contains a lot of really interesting information about the sights featured, and has a pull out map of the city, marking the route followed by the little girl and her mum. This is a great book to use for any class studying London as a topic - it has lots of cross-curricular points of interest, such as the pelicans in St James's park (science/geography), and the Monument (history - the Great Fire). It could a ...more
Barbara Band
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A combination of a story book, featuring a mum and her daughter taking a day trip to London to see the sights, and an information book as the pages are peppered with facts. The muted palette illustrations feature almost Lowry-like people and lots of details to explore and discuss. I didn't realise that London was Europe's third rainiest city ... and am not sure I'd shelter from the rain in a telephone box, should imagine any that are left may be a bit smelly!
Alice
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have been to London several times and even though I am not a big city girl and don't really care for big cities, I do like London. This book was a great reminder of all the great things there are to see and do in London. This is also really easy for kids to understand. With the Summer Olympics currently going on in London, it makes want to be in London live to watch all the events. Oh well, I will have to settle for reading this book and dream of my next trip to London and Great Britain!
Christen
Sep 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This picture book made me feel nostalgic for London, one of my favorite cities. It's a lot of text mixed in among the illustrations, so I'd recommend this for 1-2nd graders rather than the preschool crowd. They might be more interested in the illustrations than the travel memoir, however, which is a bit slow.
Lucia
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Rubbino does an incredible job of leaving the reader searching for a ticket to London to see all the sites. This reader really enjoyed the way the book was a story about a little girl and her mother visiting London with facts placed about the page. Lovely!!! Illustrations are retro and fun.

Can someone help me get there, please!
Jocelin
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely lovely picture about the streets of London. This was such a great book; a travelogue for the little ones with tidbits of great information for the parents. I am ready to go to London. I thought this was a great book for people to read about London without it being to much to take in all at once. Good book to celebrate the 2012 Summer Olympics.
Jodie
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
A tour of London for young readers. Lots of interesting facts to read throughout the book and they don't get in the way of the story. A great read to tie in with the summer Olympics and those interested in knowing a bit more about this city.
Sandy
Sep 08, 2011 rated it liked it
I like the art quite a bit. Wish there were more books like this (simple text, nice photos/illustrations, explorable) about other parts of the world, or even about different places in the US - I get requests for them fairly often, and rarely have anything good to offer!
Denise Kruse
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Delightfully illustrated in a style reminscent of some of my favorite childhood picture books. The fascinating tidbits of information about London are just enough to whet a child's (or anyone's) interest.
Jill
Such a wonderful walk through London. For the younger kids just read the story, and for older kids read the smaller type with facts about the city. I would certainly want to read this book before a trip to London. Now I want to visit to see all the things I learned about in the book.
Sarah Stehly
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful depiction of the day a little girl spends with her mother in London. Having taken my own daughter to London, I was so excited to read this to her over and over so that she could get to know the city I love. I like that this little girl lives just a train ride away.
Colleen
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fun book exploring a fascinating city!
Angie
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
As an adult and an Anglophile? LOVE.

Not sure what kiddos would think, though.
Heather
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
fantastic! Makes me want to visit London even more!
Carrie
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fabulous look at touristy things in London. There's even a map, so, bonus points.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Those Rebels, John  Tom
  • The House Baba Built: An Artist's Childhood in China
  • How Did That Get In My Lunchbox?: The Story of Food
  • Pablo Neruda: Poet of the People
Salvatore Rubbino is a graduate of the Royal College of Art in London. A Walk in New York, his first picture book, began as a series of paintings that was short-listed for the Victoria and Albert Museum Illustration Awards. He lives (and walks) in London.

A Walk In... (3 books)