Start by marking “The Psychology of Investing (Prentice Hall Series in Finance)” as Want to Read:
The Psychology of Investing (Prentice Hall Series in Finance)

The Psychology of Investing (Prentice Hall Series in Finance)

See the decision-making process behind investments.

The Psychology of Investing is the first text of its kind to delve into the fascinating subject of how psychology affects investing. Its unique coverage describes how investors actually behave, the reasons and causes of that behavior, why the behavior hurts their wealth, and what they can do about it.

The fourth edition
Paperback, Fourth Edition, 132 pages
Published February 16th 2010 by Prentice Hall (first published October 25th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Psychology of Investing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Psychology of Investing

Start your review of The Psychology of Investing (Prentice Hall Series in Finance)
Eya Beldi
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It will give you an insight on why investors do what they are doing, the reasons behind their decisions and the way to avoid the bad ones
Đạt Tiêu
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A. Introduction
1. Traditional finance theory has 2 assumptions:
- People make rational decisions.
- People are unbiased in future predictions.
-> Actually, it's not true.
Psychology and emotions always affect people in these things.
2. Behavioral finance studies how people actually behave in a financial setting.
3. Sources of cognitive errors:
- Self-deception: people think they are better than they really are.
- Heuristic simplification: our brain is forced to shortcut complex analyses
because of
Fabio Ismerim
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sensacional!!!

Muito bem estruturado, com linguagem fácil e muito objetivo.

O livro apresenta as heurísticas em forma de capítulos explicando o que eles são com referências de pesquisas e experimentos científicos. Em seguida o autor mostra como os vieses são vistos no mercado financeiro, também com citações de experimentos. Por fim, o capítulo finaliza com um resumo e um questionário com perguntas sobre o assunto do capítulo, para que você treine e absorva melhor o conteúdo.

Encontrei esta
Romel Mora
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the first of its kind to delve into the fascinating subject of the psychology affecting investments. Its unique coverage describes how investors actually behave, the reasons and causes of that behavior, why the behavior hurts their wealth, and what they can do about it.Chapter topics include overconfidence, fear of regret and seeking pride, considering the past, mental accounting, forming portfolios, representativeness and familiarity, social interaction and investing, mood and ...more
Tracy Phan
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've never found econ books that fun to read

First, I have to admit I rarely read specialized books and am not a big fan of Finance (I hate it actually lol). The only reason I put my hands on this one is that because it's my major assignment at school. But John really got me by his logical writing. The book is well-structured, I love how the examples are so easy to relate to me. Terms and definitions are clear enough for people with little financial and stock market knowledge (like me) to
Gwen Jones
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked that it was simple to understand. You can tell this was written for lay people to understand and I appreciate that.
Jason
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful to know how your brain tries to make you poor.
Yuekun Liu
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very delicate summary on behavioural finance. John describes how investors actually behaves and the states the underlying reasons.

Recommend to anyone.
Betty
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting little book that looks at how and why we invest. We are not computers. We are beings with emotions and a very complicated brain. Our brains filter through information at the speed of light, interpreting and storing facts. Coupled with emotional input, you've nothing short of Las Vegas going on with each decision unless you learn to think and respond rather than react.

The book makes some excellent suggestions as to how to make the best wealth building decisions. Often, using
ziombel
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: investors, economist
Recommended to ziombel by: frend
Shelves: economy
I can recommend the book to anyone interested in economics and business. In this work the author presents all kinds of psychological problems investor could meet(overconfidence, pride / fear, sentiment, etc). It is a good representation of pernicious practices in business. I would recommend that to future investors.

//polish
Książkę mogę polecić każdemu zainteresowanemu ekonomią/biznesem. W tym dziele autor przedstawia różnego rodzaju problemy psychologiczne inwestora(nadmierna pewność siebie,
SteveR
Dec 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to SteveR by: Matt Rogal
This is a text book recommended by Matt from one of his finance classes. It is not a technical finance book and a relatively easy read with some very interesting ideas on human nature. The book contains some interesting analogies between investing and gambling and every day decisions that we make about money. Two factors move the market – fear and greed. What’s in your … mind?
Michael
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michael by: Chip Rusher
Understanding the ideas in this book are absolutely key for anyone thinking about individually investing in the stock market. Nofsinger points out so many biases and pre-conceptions that we make in trying to invest which end up hurting people eventually. In my opinion, it’s particularly important for those who think they can invest from simply watching a couple of hours of CNBC a day.
May Ling
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by a colleague. It's very short and to the point. Really an easy read that lays out the bulk of bias types that exist within investing or - more broadly - decision making.

A great entre into thinking about why people might make the decisions they make. Useful.
Ryan
Aug 24, 2012 added it
Good overview of many psychological biases and how they affect investors.
Maciej
Jul 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Depressing, despairing, the death of hope, but an important and necessary read for anyone thinking of investing.
Christina Murias

• The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right
  • Talk Like TED: The 9 Public-Speaking Secrets of the World's Top Minds
  • Understanding Human Nature
  • Poor Charlie's Almanack: The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Munger
  • Economics 101: From Consumer Behavior to Competitive Markets--Everything You Need to Know About Economics (Adams 101)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Strategy (including featured article “What Is Strategy?” by Michael E. Porter)
  • Clean Agile: Back to Basics
  • The Four Pillars of Investing
  • Cupid's Poisoned Arrow: From Habit to Harmony in Sexual Relationships
  • Summary of How to Change Your Mind by Michael Pollan
  • The Secret Chief Revealed: Conversations with Leo Zeff, pioneer in the underground psychedelic therapy movement
  • Psychedelic Healing: The Promise of Entheogens for Psychotherapy and Spiritual Development
  • Trading in the Zone: Master the Market with Confidence, Discipline, and a Winning Attitude