Start by marking “Recipes for Disaster: An Anarchist Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Recipes for Disaster: An Anarchist Cookbook

Recipes for Disaster: An Anarchist Cookbook

Beautifully designed A-Z of the totality of revolutionary politics. This brand new Crimethinc book is the action guide - the direct action guide. From affinity groups to wheatpasting, coalition building, hijacking events, mental health, pie-throwing, shoplifting, stenciling, supporting survivors of domestic violence, surviving a felony trial, torches, and whole bunch more. ...more
Published January 1st 2005 by CrimethInc. Ex-Workers' Collective (first published December 12th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Recipes for Disaster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Recipes for Disaster

Start your review of Recipes for Disaster: An Anarchist Cookbook
Bree
Jun 22, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: politics, anarchism
This book was a graduation present from my friend Leah. I liked the art projects. Ironically, it (among many other things) was stolen from me by my scumfuck West Philly roommates and their friends while I was in DC for an anti-war march. Go figure.
Daniel
Jul 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
so, granted, in terms of practical, practiceable content, there's probably more real revolutionary potential in a black & decker catalogue, but here's the thing: recipes for disaster isn't trying to lead you step-by-step through anything, least of all anarchism. if you want how to learn to make a bomb, it's silly to look in a book available on amazon.com, and if you want to be an anarchist, the first thing you're going to have to realize is that there is no guidebook. people who criticize ...more
Kyle
Sep 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book caused me and crimethinc to break up for a little while. Recently I started reading more of their new stuff and I've been enjoying so hopefully we are starting to mend the falling out between us. It wasn't just this book it was a series of events, but still I shunned them for a long time the moment I got a copy of this in my hand.

I'll admit that I had expectations and that ecpectations are rarely fair especially if one judges the world by them like I did to this book. I guess I was
Justin Stepney
Jul 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
a follow-up they said to days of war, nights of love, this brings up many many a subject. tells u its "ingredients" & then tells u what to do in the situation, then gives a real account of such. for instance, 'spellcasting' (my favorite chapter..as it made me think 'why is THIS chapter in HERE..?...'). it gave u the 'ingredients'..then gave u their ideas about such..then their own experiences with such. Really great, again, everyone needs this.
Shelli
Apr 21, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: nonfiction, politics
I wanted to take this opportunity to remind the FBI and the NSA that just because I have added this book to my to-read shelf, it does not mean (nor even imply) that I am an anarchist, nor, in fact, anything but an upstanding, law-abiding member of American society.
andrew
Dec 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
a how to on so many things you may or may not need to know. really inspiring and really helpful.
Andrew Pixton
Dec 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Anarchist Cookbook 2.0, though someone under the CrimethInc name denounced the earlier seventies version. This one is definitely better both for anarchism and just in general effectiveness. Using cooking recipes as a metaphor, it lays out ways to stir up social, political, and economic revolution closer towards the political philosophy of anarchism. This is not to be confused with the common media stereotype of chaotic rioting, but towards an actual school of thought. And this point is really my ...more
HeavyReader
Jan 02, 2010 rated it liked it
I'm skipping around a lot in this book, not reading it straight through cover to cover. I may not even end up reading the entire thing. In any case, I'll leave it on my currently reading shelf for a while, then write a bit more about it before I move it to the read shelf.

OK, so I didn't read every word in this book. It's a how-to book; there's no need to read every word. It's a reference book; one only needs to refer to it to learn how to do specific things.

This book is full of good info for
Graybird
Jun 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm giving it as many stars as I did because the mental health section was worth it. Obviously not comprehensive, but it really put things into perspective for me as someone who deals with a lot of crazy headspaces and sometimes doesn't know what to do about them. It's really weird that I had that sort of connection to a basic CrimethInc article, as opposed to some of the more well-known, profound, beautiful writing out there on radical mental health, but whatever works. The rest of the book is ...more
Charles Martin
Jul 01, 2010 rated it liked it
One of three books that I bought from AK Press, an anarchist publisher. It is a more realistic and well-intentioned rework of the classic and tragically flawed counter-culture classic.
There are many authors who impart real world recipies for everything from bike shops, dumpster diving to crashing parades. Because of the the many cooks, the recipes and writing are a bit uneven. Some can be fun and engaging, some can be intolerably self-righteous, but still worth a read and at its best, the book
Morgan
Oct 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Where many things with the word "anarchist" in the title set themselves up for failure, thus book succeeds with flying colors. The admission of "disaster" and a disclaimer that these recipes may not work makes this a charming coffee table or back-of-toilet read. It's wealth of DIY groundwork awesome layout, bold line drawings and smart, witty writing make it an entertaining and wholly convincing read. With things as pedestrian as making asphalt mosaics to stuff as monumental as undoing societal ...more
John Gentry
Apr 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: maddys, guide-books
Update: It's just as fucking cool as it should be.

I took a nice, brisk, stroll through this guide book. I took what I liked and left what I didn't. honestly I have nothing to complain about. this book shouldn't be expected to be some ultimate how to guide, it simply functions as an idea book. from it I learned of different organizations and different actions I can join or take. beyond that it is what it is.....buy it used, take it in and pass it along to the next person.
Rob Haas
Jan 30, 2008 rated it liked it
a little disapointing considering the quality of work crimethinc. press usually puts out.

Its a great field manual for everything D.I.Y.

But really only useful if you live the suburban anarchist lifestyle and are looking for a way out.

good to pick up when your bored and need an activity to keep busy.
Joby Elliott
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
I would have loved about 1/3 of what was in this book, if I hadn't had to sift through the rest of it to get to the good stuff. I know it's a complaint that can't possibly be answered by an anarchist collective, but I'd like to see more ruthless editing next time.
Evelyn
Feb 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
CrimeInc is one of those activist groups which is either loved or loathed by fellow activists, but regardless of your personal stance with them, this book contains some useful information regarding many aspects of direct action etc. Easy to dip in and out of when needed.
JP Martinez
Jun 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A very good book that presents a variety of ideas and helps you dream in an imaginative way a world in which the powers that currently exist do not need to have that power. It helps you dream up a new way of living. more to come later.
Keith Seekwhence
Jun 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
A complete, separate and more practical take on what an anarchist cookbook should be. With concepts and ideologies for modern era. Very well done in layout, form, descriptions, illustrations and photography.
Una
Jul 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm not wild about Crimethinc but this book is useful. It's short on flippant, condescending, privileged politics and long on actual useful "recipes" for everything from silkscreening to how to deal with felony charges.
Aaron Urbanski
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anarchism, crash-prep
Indispensable guide to resistance tactics. An updated anarchist cookbook that never fails to impress. This thing is loaded with clever insights & ideas. You get plenty of bang for your buck...literally. Got to http://crimethinc.com/ & pick up 700pages of mayhem for only 10bones.
alex
Jun 01, 2008 is currently reading it
Recommends it for: idle yuppies in Dolores Park
Recommended to alex by: Green Apple Books caption: "never going to be on Oprah's book cl
So much useful information for the armchair activist. So far it has the perspective of a guilty honky trying to do the right thing, but the practical information gives me hope. All 5th graders need to be taught the Pie Throwing chapter.
Zoo
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Crime think unteach you how to live the representation way and remind you on how to act. Directly. And be responsible for your own representation.
P.H.
Oct 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people seeking life
Mirza  Sultan-Galiev
Nov 13, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: anarchism, culture
Why God? Why?
Jessica Oswald
Jul 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anarchy
A how to book of things most of us will never do. Still super fun to read.
Edward Pissmeoff
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cool projects. The politics arnt quite my own, but it takes all kinds, add they say.
jack
Jan 09, 2008 added it
Shelves: politics
havent actually read all of the recipes in here yet, tho i have used it as a reference on a few occasions. it was helpful.
Mickmada
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the book its sparks ideas thoughts inspirations which is what its all about. Step by step guides & personal accounts.
Eric Gulliver
...just didn't feel right writing a review of this work...or rating it for that matter....
Kaela Hildebrand
Mar 08, 2009 is currently reading it
I dont know how into building bombs I could ever be...although direct action is a great idea and I am glad that it is clearly described in this book. I am an ADD reader so i'm not done yet...
Nivasilyev
doesn't mention free college.
Does help you commit crimes intelligently =)=

• Existencilism
  • As the World Burns: 50 Simple Things You Can Do to Stay in Denial
  • The Principles of Uncertainty
  • Diane Arbus: Monograph
  • The  Prosperous Few and the Restless Many (Real Story)
  • Banging Your Head Against a Brick Wall
  • The Coming Insurrection
  • Cut It Out
  • Beautiful Losers: Contemporary Art and Street Culture
  • Exit Through the Gift Shop
  • Hand Job: A Catalog of Type
  • Darkwerks: The Art of Brom
  • Off the Map
  • Banksy Locations & Tours: A Collection of Graffiti Locations and Photographs in London, England
  • The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible
  • Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (World of Warcraft, #6)
  • Letter to His Father
  • Art Forms in Nature
From the official website:
Crimethought is not any ideology or value system or lifestyle, but rather a way of challenging all ideologies and value systems and lifestyles—and, for the advanced agent, a way of making all ideologies, value systems, and lifestyles challenging.